Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Forum formating; text next to an image?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is probably a stupid question to the majority of people here, but I'd really love to know how to make a post with a photo on one side, and text sitting next to it. I've seen other people with character images in that format, and I can't figure it out for the life of me. This site doesn't seem to use the same code as the HTML or CSS that Google's results give me.
I think you want floats.

History
[Image: Planet_Honshu.jpg]
Planet Honshu

56 A.S. Planet Honshu is settled by Kusari, their first colony established since Planet New Tokyo 51 years prior. Most of the planet's surface area is ocean; with little landmass to develop, the settlers carve out a living through fishing. Few of the species brought on the colony ship take to the new environment, and the main supply of fish comes from one species, the Redfin.

250 A.S. The Redfin is fished to complete extinction, and the fishing industry on the planet collapses. With the already poor supply of fish almost exhausted, many inhabitants decide to seek their fortunes elsewhere. A mass exodus occurs over the next 10 years, with approximately 80% of the population leaving, mostly to Planet Kyushu. A number of bold adventurers instead head to the Crow Nebula, to harvest the fuel gases there.

282 A.S Following more than two decades of extreme individual success, the major corporate players in Kusari take notice of these mining operations and begin to make their move with intent to take control of the business and force out their small competitors. The existing miners refuse to be pushed around and band together to protect their livelihood. The Gas Miners Guild is born.

Is this what you're looking for?
Exactly what I had in mind. How do you perform this magical feat?
If you want something to sit at the right or left of the screen independent of everything else, you have to use a float command:

Code:
[float=left] content [/float]

[float=right] content [/float]

This will anchor it in place, allowing you to put things beside your floated image. If you click reply to my post above, it will display all the raw BBCode for you to study and learn. What I have done is enclosed the image of Planet Honshu within a table, then enclosed this table within a right float. This has the effect of a border around the picture. and puts it to the right of the screen while I place text below in the edit screen, which will then appear to the left of it when posted.
umm... or you can do just:

the normal thing for images is: [img] and close with /img in brackets.

but just add: [img float=right] and close with the /img in brakets and you are done.
It is that simple.
You're awesome. Thanks! I owe you both one. Collect it sometime in the near future.
Here's a bit of a breakdown:

Code:
[align=center][color=#87CEFA][u][size=12][font=Merienda One]History[/font][/size][/u][/color][/align]

This is my title.

Code:
[float=right]

Opening the float, which will place everything between this and me closing the float to the right of the screen.

Code:
[table][tr][td]

This is a(n optional) table, which I have used to create an effect of a caption beneath an image. It is within the float.

Code:
[img=200x200]http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/c/c8/Planet_Honshu.jpg[/img]

My image, resized to 200 by 200 pixels. It is within the table, which is within the float.

Code:
[align=center][color=white]Planet Honshu[/color][/align]

This is the caption below the image, which is also in the table (which is within the float), but placed below the image.

Code:
[/td][/tr][/table]

I have closed the table tags, so it only applies to what is posted above.

Code:
[/float]

This is the end of the float, which means my caption, image and table are all kept to the right of the screen in one piece.

The end result is what you see above. If you're unfamiliar with this formatting, it might be confusing at first, but with a bit of practice it becomes really easy to pull off really quickly. I hope this helps. If you get stuck, just drop me a PM and I'll assist as necessary.
A good way to learn code is to find a thread you like and press the reply button.
Then u can steal all the hidden secrets. Smile
here

Edit: ninnja'd
Pages: 1 2