Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: So did Skype recently get more broken (Terribad, awful, shocking)? Is it possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yeah. So just something that i've noticed over the last couple days, Skype has the tendancy to use a stupid amount of RAM (Say in the range between 600MB to 1GB on my machine). Which isn't in itself a big deal as i have 12GB of it, but what really bothers me is whenever it gets to around the 1GB mark, it crashes and of course that alt tabs whatever it is i'm doing. It's only just started doing this recently and i saw a couple things a few days ago with peeps having the high ram shenanigans. So have Microsoft finally made this abomination of a program so bad it crashes itself due to it's hoarding?
Start using Discord?
(06-06-2016, 05:09 PM)Protégé Wrote: [ -> ]Start using Discord?

Thank you for your useful feedback in fixing this problem related to skype
When people actually use Discord on a large scale for this community, then sure. Until that day comes, i must somehow smack skype into a functional state

-But seriously. how do i stop this terrible thing getting to 1GB then deciding it doesn't want to live anymore and crashing. Cause it's kinda, y'know. Annoying. For now i'm using the browser skype (Beta thing?) but it's a bit dodgy to be honest.
I never get a problem with Skype until I start running Discovery. Maybe it's because I only have 4 GB RAM, I don't know, but Skype doesn't get really bad until after running Discovery for a quite a long time.
I only know that it got uglier and uglier over the years
: ( ( ( ( (
Didn't have any major performance issues though.
have you tried downgrading? I use 6.16.105 (yes without bold etc embeddings) and things are fine
There are guides to delete ad files for Skype, I'd recommend doing that - it helps the memory leak slightly.

Otherwise it's just a broken program that you need to restart frequently to keep memory/delay/disruption low. It's an abysmal piece of half-working programming.

And there aren't really any viable alternatives as the only ones have very little people using them, plus seem just weird and straying away from what people are used to (old skype?).
Last time my Skype was using 400k memory, I was bound to find out that the Skype program folder was infected with a Trojan CoinMiner.
It's mostly normal now that I cleaned it up. Using 50-80k atm.
In the end i reinstalled it completely and it seems to be slightly better. I'm going to look into the methods of dealing with the ads to try and get it down from it's current 250-300MB usage. *sigh*

As a side note, installing older versions of skype doesn't work for me. I just get the old 'Messaging Unavailible' in chats. Surprisingly the browser version actually works quite well, if not a bit iffy as for some reason the " is @ and i use a UK Standard keyboard setup. To be honest i just wish the lazy saps at Microsoft would code it to the point the client version isn't shocking.
Pages: 1 2