Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Safe idle temps on a FX build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sup.
I am running a fairly budget build that features a very modestly overclocked, air-cooled FX-8350 which is kept chill by an EU standard Evo 212. It resides in a fairly roomy case which features two 12cm fans at the front and back. But there is one problem that I have with all of this - when under load, the whole rig is VERY loud.

I am a person who enjoys quiet and tends to leave my PC on when I am taking a nap while I download something on steam. I used the FanXpert software included with my motherboard to adjust the speed for my CPU and case fans for the occasion. When running idle or with minimum use such as browsing sites or watching youtube videos, the CPU tems never seemed to exceed 55c, which is where I set the fan curve to begin. Now, the problem with this is that the thermal throttle for the FX-8350 is at 62c. During gaming (Haven't bothered with synthetic stress tests), the temps sometimes can reach up to 60c, which is...okay? I suppose.

Though it is the idle temps that sometimes concern be. Given that on usual settings the idle temps for this build are at around 35-40c, is there any harm that I am currently exposing my build to?

Would like your input on this. I love my quiet, but is it worth potential damage to my build? If there is any risk at all, that is.
The CPU degradation will hardly be any faster with slightly increased idle temps. Evo 212 should be more than capable to handle the 8350. On a side note, check your cable management. Even though it's nothing major, you can still drop a couple of degrees just by managing the cables properly which does allow for a slightly better air flow.
(06-20-2016, 07:06 PM)Stefz Wrote: [ -> ]you can still drop a couple of degrees just by managing the cables properly which does allow for a slightly better air flow.

its more for aesthetics purposes than actually provide a lower temperature...atleast that's what the test showed..no temperature differences

something about amds..try a different software to measure your temperature..also i dont think amds have thermometers in their chips but they give an estimate based on a couple of things
You both are sort of missing the question.
(06-20-2016, 07:06 PM)Stefz Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU degradation will hardly be any faster with slightly increased idle temps.

As in, your CPU will be fine.
I dont see any way you can be harming your build, Thermal throttling anyways means that the CPU is working and doesnt want to burn out, so I wouldnt worry too much about that if it happens!

The only thing a higher temperature constantly (IE: a good bit beyond thermal throttling temps, Like 70C for prolonged periods, or any high temp for prolonged periods) would do is shorten the lifetime of the CPU, but in your case, It wouldnt really do anything, Its within whatn it considires a "safe" temperature so youre good!