Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: PC build Bottlenecking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The question is simple , I am thinking about getting a new PC on hopefully 11th July, I have chosen Core i3 6100 as CPU because I am really impressed by it's single core performance , hyperthreading also enables to launch games requiring more then 2 cores. I am thinking to go for a GTX 970 MSI OC edition , my question is will my i3 bottleneck the GPU or it will work fine? If it will bottleneck the GPU then do you have suggestion for any other CPU for somewhat same price point
I use Xeon processors myself. They kick the crap outta the I series.
Unless you plan to upgrade in the relatively near future, I suggest you save up a bit more money and go for an i5 instead. Hyperthreading is great, but having 4 physical cores is much better and totally worth the extra money. 6100 should be fine for now, but we're starting to see games utilize more cores and I think that at some point in the near future, hyperthreading just isn't gonna cut it anymore. Will the PC be used primarily for gaming? What kind of games do you play?
(07-03-2016, 07:13 AM)Stefz Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you plan to upgrade in the relatively near future, I suggest you save up a bit more money and go for an i5 instead. Hyperthreading is great, but having 4 physical cores is much better and totally worth the extra money. 6100 should be fine for now, but we're starting to see games utilize more cores and I think that at some point in the near future, hyperthreading just isn't gonna cut it anymore. Will the PC be used primarily for gaming? What kind of games do you play?

YEa gaming mostly , all popular titles , like GTA V to Witcher and The Divison , Homefront Revolution , that star wars new game etc
Might I suggest you look into getting a i5-6500k instead, the rest seems fine. Also, please do not be a sucker and give into the RAM hype. A decent set of CL9 1600s is more than enough for gaming. Use the extra money you would have otherwise placed into DDR4s and place it into your CPU instead.
Just tell us here how much you're ready to spend on your PC and I/we will help you out with picking the right parts (I know there's a few people around here that builds PCs for a living)
500$ to 600$
I built a pretty decent rig running on an FX processor for that amount of money.
the FX-8350 is up there with the I7 series if you can OC it up a bit and it is cheap, though the single core performance is lacking.
(07-03-2016, 11:53 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I built a pretty decent rig running on an FX processor for that amount of money.
the FX-8350 is up there with the I7 series if you can OC it up a bit and it is cheap, though the single core performance is lacking.

I avoid AMD processor , My country have already high temperatures keeping a AMD cool will be a problem for me , I can use Hard disk from current PC it will save some bucks I think
You can pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for ~30$ on amazon. It's one of the most popular air coolers and will allow for some decent overclocking. What resolution do you run your games at? Also, I have to agree with Spazzy on his RAM comment. Faster RAM does nothing for performance unless you're running an APU, and even then, as you go higher in speed you start to see diminishing returns creep in. Just pick up the cheapest 8 gig dual-channel memory kit from a respectable brand and you'll be good to go.
Pages: 1 2