Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Building my first gaming PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So after a few months of saving cash (and also cursing the country i live in for the outrageous prices on graphic cards ) i've finally decided to make a build . I'm New to this and i would like your thoughts

Intel core i5 6600 k
Cooler master hyper 212 x ( i heard that using this cooler means i cant insert ram on my first two slots)
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz 8 gigs x 2
Asus Z170 Pro gaming Motherboard
Asus Strix or Zotac Ampextreme 1070(is there even a significant perfomance gain between the amp and amp extreme ???? )
650 Corsair PSU

and Finally the case , This is were i require some serious help ,

(Btw The ambient temperatures in my room are around 32 degrees )

These are the cases I've been looking on , I want to know whether these cases will easily hold on all my components with at least a little space

Deepcool Kendomen
Antec GX300 ( i like this one the most )
Corsair spec 03

Help is much appreciated
Thank you Smile
Hey there.

First of all, remember that for optimal gaming performance, you need to allocate most of your money into your graphics card and CPU, without going into extremes. The 1070 as far as I've seen is a good choice, but you might be paying a bit too big of a price premium due to its relative newness. A GTX 970 and 980 and their respective TI varients might be better priced, depending on your country and offer only slightly less performance - we are talking a few frames per second here.

Secondly, do not go overboard with RAM. There is no significant difference between a DDR4 setup and a DDR 1600mhz CL9s, unless you are using integrated graphics. There is almost no performance gains. I suggest you stick with 8-16 GB of regular low-profile Corsair DDR3 1600-1800s.

Finally, I suggest you allocate the money you might save with these changes and get a SSD for your regular games or your OS.
I'd swap that asus mb for gigabyte if I were you.
(07-03-2016, 03:56 PM)Bloxin Wrote: [ -> ]I'd swap that asus mb for gigabyte if I were you.

why ??? the asus gaming motherboard comes with some sweet okayish features ???
(07-03-2016, 04:19 PM)Jessitrescott Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2016, 03:56 PM)Bloxin Wrote: [ -> ]I'd swap that asus mb for gigabyte if I were you.

why ??? the asus gaming motherboard comes with some sweet okayish features ???

Personally, I'd pick Gigabyte over ASUS any day. In this particular case, GA Z170x Gaming 5 might be a good choice.
Both MB's are somewhat similar in characteristics, except that afaik the ASUS one lacks a number of express SATA slots compared to the Gig one.
Other than that, personally I find Gigabyte MB's far more reliable than their ASUS counterparts (with a few exceptions).
I'm also talking largely from experience, as I've been using Gigabyte for years now. I'm not in any way trying to persuade you or something, it's just my opinion.

As far as mere technicalities go, there are a number of reviews for the Gaming 5 out there and even comparisons versus the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming which are one google search away.

P.S. I've been reading that ASUS BIOS is somewhat better compared to the Gig, but that's the only pro for the ASUS over the Gig that I could spot.
If you are Purchasing an OS, Go with windows 7 or Linux (Id probably go with windows for compatibility!), Honestly for me Windows 10 is nothing but problems, It was honestly my biggest regret after building my machine, and I have had absolutely 0 problems on my Windows 7 machine (Granted it isn't very good spec wise!)

It also may be cheaper, and it can run older games (I don't know why Win 10 won't, It just refuses!)