Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Good characters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Since the last thread got derailed because of this, I made this one so we could continue the topic of what everyone thinks is a good character. Though this time around, there's going to be a few changes. I'll be watching the thread to update the list as it goes on, but what I'd like you folks to do is genuinely evaluate your choices. Don't pick a name because it belongs to your friend. Just kind of pick what you consider to be a decent or good character, that isn't a self-insert or meme. (:

And if you want, you could even give reasons or get into discussions about it. Anyway, here's the list from the last thread, which I'll make the final few additions to. For example, as Aerelm suggested, why is that character good?

Laura Carsten
Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sunny

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Doc Holliday

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Joshua Hunt

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Jared Nomak

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Volker Koch

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Thallia Thorn

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Wild Bill

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sapphire Raven

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Rachel Baker

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Maverick O'Howell

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Inge Wexler

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Hans Von Goeben

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

David Avant

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Harland Voss

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

George Hall

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Noah Xonnel/Johan Lennox

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Empress Jess from that one place in space with the Bullheads and squids

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Nesrin Khan

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Matthew Hemlock

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Finn McCool

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Felicia Drum

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Jane Hartman

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Harriet Fieldson

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Meallan Dagon

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Ezrael Vertiga

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Maren Von Westefield

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Lolita Vences

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Lucie LeBlanc

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sam Underwood

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Austin Goodman

Played by:
Comment: "I can see him as a person. He has a soul. His actions have motives. I can imagine a human behind the text. As if the character can think with his own brain, independently of the author, and completely unaware of the future the author has already set for him." - Thund
Story link: N/A

Komachi Kurosawa

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Avery Reeves

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Kaze Dagon

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Natalie Callahan

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Gunther Rall

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Eva McDowell

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Ashes Yotaka

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Ansel Xavier

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Goro Yoshida

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Wolfram Kruppstahl

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Pierre LaFlamme

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Pita

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sian Breacon

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Red Witch

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sir Firmus Piett

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Erich Klugmann

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Sarah 'Sparks' McFarlen

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Max Miller

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Jimmy the "Rat"

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Emily Anderson

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Jack Malrone

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Alan Jones

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

The Snow's (Siren's Bell)

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Anna Heinrich

Played by:
Comment:
Story link:

Also keep in mind that this isn't a place to come in and bash on other peoples work. That's no fun.
I think Pita would be a good addition to add.
Was my inspiration to start RPing back in the day.
Although I'm good with Jazzi, I'd like to add Sean Breacon, the Dublin girl that wanted to open a club on Freeport 11 but got killed by Antonio's Aoi char. The accent was well written and the character had a very amicable personality.

Same goes for Miss Pimakhova from the SCRA. Very authentic way of speaking and acting as a not-just-shooty SCRA captain.

Jazzi has a thing for making his characters speaking unique ways. Wink

Also, Red Witch/Kalliste Silver with the very adorable way of using nicknames like Bubba, Coffin, Cupcake and such. What a hot milf.
It's a good idea for a thread, but imo it'll work much better if instead of naming characters, what makes those characters "good" is looked into instead.

i.e. the "Why?" instead of the "Who?"
I personally think I could do a whole lot better with Sunny. Been focused lately on diplomacy more than him as a character and how he would react, think, speak.
Not to say that I had not done that at all, but I do have some things I need to freshen up on which involves coming out of the box a bit more.

What makes a good character for me is making the character separate from yourself enough so that it has it's own persona. It is not you who are in his mind but rather the character has a mind of it's own and you are just reveling it. His actions are not influenced by your judgement as you view him/her from god perspective.

With a diplo character like Sunny, it's sometimes tricky but yeah im working on it.
(07-06-2016, 01:59 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]The accent was well written

Not to take anything away from the character itself, but that accent was atrocious from an accuracy standpoint. I even commented as much in Jazzi's feedback thread.

Then again, most 'Irish' accents I see on Disco border on offensive - if the same were being done for Kusarian characters, for example, I don't think it would stand.
(07-06-2016, 02:31 PM)Omicega Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2016, 01:59 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]The accent was well written

Not to take anything away from the character itself, but that accent was atrocious from an accuracy standpoint. I even commented as much in Jazzi's feedback thread.

Then again, most 'Irish' accents I see on Disco border on offensive - if the same were being done for Kusarian characters, for example, I don't think it would stand.

I can agree that the accent - as well as most for that matter - was over the top. Though, that doesn't dissuade the fact that the character was good, and certainly played the role of an in-between-the-law person. Attempting to blackmail the Cincinnati's location was pretty neat.
It was more about "I know how that character talks by reading it's lines". I read your feedback there, but as someone from another country, I don't really know where the differences are.

Another character where I love the way of talking is WildBill, folks.
(07-06-2016, 02:31 PM)Omicega Wrote: [ -> ]Not to take anything away from the character itself, but that accent was atrocious from an accuracy standpoint. I even commented as much in Jazzi's feedback thread.

Aoife Ahearne best Irish girl.
There's more to accents than dropping letters and shoving apostrophes into every second word. Finn McCool is another example of a lazily-done accent on an otherwise robust character.

I make it a point to avoid trying to write accents as much as possible, other than the simpler sort of stuff like dropping gs off 'ing' and so forth. I don't mind people dropping snippets of foreign languages in, though - and while you mention it, Wild Bill is a much better example of an accent that actually works.

(07-06-2016, 02:37 PM)Phantom Wrote: [ -> ]Aoife Ahearne best Irish girl.

She deserved more playtime, but the Omicrons make me want to drive a nail into my skull these days and I was never really that into Core to begin with.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8