Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lovely...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, anybody had any experience with killing TDSS? A friend's comp got blasted with it, and it does some nasty things.

Examples:
-Disabling Explorer.exe
-Disabling the keyboard
-HTML injection
-Elimination of AVG's update control file
-Other nasty things

I booted to Safe mode w/ Command Prompt and managed to kill the startup items, but it has a spare doodad somewhere that restored them.

Any ideas? The redirect appears to be based off a file named "C:\\<somefilename>.exe" in the Startup pane.

I ran RootkitRevealer and it showed that the Registry has TDSS in three places, then it aborted because some other app stopped it from accessing the hard drives!

HELP!
Download this and run it by the instructions(although use as last resort, it can, in 5% of cases, screw up your OS so you have to reinstall).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix...e-combofix
I've nabbed ComboFix, MalwareBites, and ATF Cleaner.
Reinstall, you must.

I'd post the yoda picture, but am too lazy to find it..
But of course wait if someone gives you some better advice first.
Just back up your account IDs and other important things, and re-install your OS. Probably the best option for you right now.
[Image: reinstallyoumustcopy.png]

Its official.

Seriously, it would probably be less painful to format yourself then to attempt to fix it only for it to come back or take it to a computer store and be out of a computer for a week.

Take your pick. I would do what Yoda says if I where you;)
well that sucks how did your friend get it? so i can avoid getting it.
If it can screw over avg it must be preety evil