Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: FL Server and Client under Linux: Success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Freelancer is dead but this now works.
Too late.

P.S. I have success to connect from office to my linux home server...

Thx to TSP people Smile

Run Server
Run Client
So you can run FL on linux?
Sorry for the n00by question. Smile

I always run into failure whenever i try to run FL on linux. Sad
I don't know winecfg setting and winetricks modules that FL needs to make it run properly. Sad
try PlayOnLinux, last I tried it worked out the box with freelancer. Running the server however I believe is a different story, haven't really tied myself.
(07-31-2016, 03:57 AM)RamRawR Wrote: [ -> ]try PlayOnLinux, last I tried it worked out the box with freelancer.

I seem to remember that playonlinux gave me no difference than wine's result.
I encountered massive lag on both (it was like 1fps Cool )
Dunno what caused that bizarreness.
So, you want to share how you pulled it off?
(08-01-2016, 03:57 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]So, you want to share how you pulled it off?

I'd happily make a tutorial out of it if someone could aid me out of this trouble first (sun)

It's just that Linux somewhat give me a peace of mind when i do my work on it. Something that i don't get on my Windows side.
I've used this tutorial but under wine 32 bit prefix Smile
Code:
rm -r ~/.wine
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
DSPM, Dsam x86 are working well and FLHook too.
This works both for server and client - you may play disco for example or host disco for others.
Has anyone made success in running disco on Ubuntu? I want to move completely away from Windows, so I wish to know how/does FL run on Wine/PlayOnLinux?
(01-19-2017, 11:13 AM)Advent Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone made success in running disco on Ubuntu? I want to move completely away from Windows, so I wish to know how/does FL run on Wine/PlayOnLinux?

I can confirm that disco works on wine 1.9.23 or higher (mileage may vary).

1. Install wine 1.9.23 or higher. Refer to distro-specific instructions on how to do this.
  2. Install winetricks
  3. Create a new, clean 32-bit wine prefix. Example:
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.winedisco WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
  4. Install mfc42, directplay and dotnet40 using winetricks. Example:
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.winedisco WINEARCH=win32 winetricks mfc42 directplay dotnet40
  5. Set up an install of Vanilla Freelancer. I had a copy on my Desktop already, but you can install it in wine using
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.winedisco WINEARCH=win32 PATH_TO_FL_SETUP.exe
  6. Run the disco installer using a command similar to the above
  7. The disco launcher should now be in your programs menu. Run this and FL will work like normal!