Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: "Shattered Truth"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
- - - - SECURE LOG PLAYBACK - - - -

Audio and Visual log of Test Number : 1

The Station although not in lockdown was kept on high alert and security was amped up to a ridiculous level, nobody was really sure why. But behind the scenes this had been done to facilitate the utmost stability for the research that was scheduled to take place.

A strangely marked Naval Avenger fighter-craft docked with the station, it's pilot having all the security codes and clearances they would need to oversee the testing and experiments. Avery was quick to walk his way over to the selected area, ensuring preparations were made before Knight's actual arrival.

Some time after another Navy vessel approached the well hidden station. It was an armed shuttle that quickly authorized itself and was let through and granted to dock. The shuttle mainly contained Rear Admiral Victoria Knight. When she arrived and got through the checks she then made her way to the designated area for whatever exactly Lieutenant Commander Reeves had planned.

"Sir, The Rear Admiral is here." One of the guards reported to the recently promoted Commander Reeves.
Upon hearing that he carefully walked his way out of the newly designated observation area to meet her.
He stopped once he was directly in her path. Clasping his hands behind his back. "Rear Admiral." He said as he nodded to greet her.

She stopped not far from him then. "Commander, if I am informed properly." She said and nodded. "If you'd show me what you have planned then?"

"Walk with me. I'll explain." He gestured to the hallway behind him and turned himself slightly.

She went to follow him, eager to listen what he'd propose.

"We managed to...procure three subjects to observe. What we're going to do although complicated, could yield useful results."
He held a door at the end of the hall open for her. Waiting for her to walk through before he would elaborate further.

"Subjects?" She asked while passing through the door, looking around slightly.

"Potentially infected individuals. If the test goes well, we'll have tangible proof to substantiate the fact one or more actually is infected."

A set of guards opened the next door for them. Inside was a large observation room, staffed by several scientists and technicians. Bulletproof darkened glass lined the front of the room. It was divided into three segments. Each holding a test subject.

"Where did you get these people? Is it suitably proven that any of these might actually be infected?" She asked surprised but curious, stepping closer to the glass to look at the subjects.

"These tests will answer the latter. I personally captured all three for suspicious activity."

"Well then. How exactly are you testing any of these subjects?" She asked to clarify, not having had any information yet.

He points to three monitors mounted on a wall. Each of them monitoring neural activity of the subjects.
"We have a theory. That the infectees are controlled through neural influences. By asking questions and checking how their brains respond. We may or may not have a concrete answer."
"Being able to detect infection has numerous benefits which you should find obvious."

"Interesting idea. Was that your idea?" She asked and looked at him for a short moment before she looked back on the monitor.

"It's been a long-standing speculation. But no, the idea isn't mine. The scientists in this room came up with it, the science behind it made sense, so I agreed and got them subjects to test the theory on." His posture seemed less formal now and a little more relaxed.

"Wouldn't the thing inside them destroy itself or kill the human if it were close to being uncovered?" She wondered.

"The nomads are many things but reckless is not one of those, and given how these people were captured, there was no chance for that. The incubi in them won't want to emerge and risk blowing the pain-staking efforts its made to uphold cover. Instead it'll assume superiority over our intellect and assume it can cheat its way through these tests. But we'll see which race truly is clever."

"Well then I assume you are going to show me how you figure out if these people are indeed as you say?" She asked and turned to face Reeves now.

He approached a microphone near 'Test Subject A's' cell and turned it on, raising it to it was at the right height for him before beginning the first round of questions. "State your name. For the record, please." He remained monotone in voice and didn't seem hostile in the way he asked the subject.
The subject inside answered slowly and seemed nervous. "David...Colbert. Secondary Fleet, Lieutenant."
The neural signatures for subject A seemed fairly normal, the regular areas of his brain would respond in order to answer that question and nothing anomalous took place.

"So this is normal I take it? And you'd see a change if... what? If he lied?" She asked, wanting to know how this test was going. There couldn't be any doubts.

"The theory states, that the influence of the incubi has an anomalous affect on brain patterns, it'll be very obvious once you actually see it happen." He turns his attention to the other subjects and asks them the very same questions, all answers returning normally.

"Well it shows nothing. Does that mean they are all human?" She asked and looked at the test results.

"No, it means the question was easy." He says with a slight smirk.
"The trick is, asking something the Incubi needs to think about, that produces the anomaly."
There was a slight grin on his face as he approached subject A's cell again, asking a new question. "Lieutenent Colbert, blondes or brunettes, which do you fancy more?"

The lieutenant seemed a little taken aback by the contrast from the first question but he answered nonetheless. "Brunettes..." His scans came back normal, with no anomalous readings or anything out of the ordinary.
Subject B's answered seemed normal as well, but when he asked subject C, something peculiar happened. A portion of their brain was accesed that wouldn't normally need to be in a situation like this, and his answer was in a sense 'looped' and fed out the most appropriate way possible, one of the computers made a loud ringing noise and a monotone voice on the radios blurted out the words ::NEURAL ANOMALY DETECTED IN SUBJECT : C, TERMINATING.::
The cell seemingly lit up and there nobody inside anymore, only a minor trail of pink dust that vanished in time as well.

Knight was watching the first tests with curiosity but growing disappointment, wondering if this could even work when all the people were innocent. She followed Reeves around still and looked at him with a cocked eyebrow as he asked the second question.

She was close to dismissing the whole test but was going to wait for the second round to be over.
The death of the third person genuinely astonished her then and she took a small step back.
"This is impressive, Commander. He really was not human anymore." She said and looked at him as if she hadn't expected him to succeed.

"File that neural scan. Use it for reference and analysis everything about it." He ordered to a scientist nearby as they started to compile the data for easy analysis.

"How easy is this test actually?" She asked, already thinking of how to utilise it for the fleet and primarily her own battlegroup.

"Given the nature of infection...it's incredibly hard to detect the anomaly. But I'm amending Naval protocol to include a more subtle version of this into naval psych evals and for personnel that face potential exposure to nomadic influence."

"But we would be able to test certain personnel easily? And out of this rather unsuitable place?"

"Testing is the easy part. Getting the anomalous result is hard."
"When cornered incubi will either...eject or kill themself and the subject. We're working on methods to draw incubi out without killing the host."

"So it should be possible." She just said and looked back at the now empty room.

"We...have a few friends with research that could prove critical." He turned to face her now. He seemed calm through all of this.

"What kind of research?" She asked and looked back at him.

"Hopefully research that gives us a way to force the incubi out. We'll see though."

"And who do you need it from?"

"Let me handle that."

"I see. And when would you say we could utilize this technology?"

"If we find a way to develop it and easily replicate the circumstances required, then yes."

"How long will that take? We don't have that much I fear."

"Give me a week. I'll have files tranferred to the Harmony's database whenever we make progress."

"A week. I guess we can hold out that long." She said and sighed shortly then. "What can I do to speed it up?"

"If you have credible suspicion on a member of your battlegroup or another fleet, then bring them here."

"I think that won't run smoothly without drawing attention."

"Not much else you can do but quarantine potential hosts and wait on our developments."

"I see. Well you certainly did good work Commander. I hope you'll get it done fast."

"I hope so too.."

"So how do we continue? I return to my ship and select potential threats?"

"Mark them. I'll have my men take care of it and quarantine them."
"The Marshals are trained specifically in handling cases of infection and even possible infestation."

"I will do that then. I'll leave you to your tests and research."

"Stay vigilant, rear admiral."

"You too, Commander. This will be a huge advantage in the fight against them." She said and nodded, getting ready to leave.

He took a sigh, feeling the pressure for once.

"I need this technology soon. Or I don't dare think what could happen. Take care Commander." She said then, effectively ending their encounter.

- - - - PLAYBACK COMPLETE - - - -
- - - - SECURE LOG PLAYBACK - - - -

Audio and Visual log of Test Number : 2

It was pitch black, nothing but occasional eerie streaks of blue were visible and distant growls from the anomaly.
It was probably a miracle Avery could even land in conditions like this.
In the cargobay, Kingston sat against the wall, his mind thinking solely on Elisa. He'd occasionally pick at the cuffs on his wrists, looking for a way to take them off. All attempts were futile.
The cargo-bay abruptly opened, Kingston's back rest now gone, causing him to roll out. The first thing he would probably notice were the squadron of armed guards in a circle around him.

He looked up at the guards, holding his hands up in defense. "Woah.. woah... easy.."
"Avery..?"
"Where is he..?" He looks around for Avery.

He gives him a pat on the shoulder to show he's behind him.

He turned his head, a feeling of sadness cast over him. "Hey.. there you are.."

"Standard containment procedures." He said in reply.

The guards grabbed hold of Kingston upon hearing that, dragging him off with them.

"Containment for what..?"
"Hey, hey! Containment for what!"

The Guards slowly tossed Kingston in a rather dull room, it was tiny and had only a bed inside it, overlooked by a darkened panel of glass, it felt like you were being watched inside the cell, even when there was nobody to see through the metallic walls.
Alex looked around, frightened, but not for himself. He saw the panel of glass, and knocked, hearing no answer.

He sat on the bed, resting his head on his hands. "Happy birthday indeed..."

"::State your name and rank for the record, please::"

"Huh.. oh.. um.." He clears his throat. "Commander Alexander Samuel Kingston.."

The voice sounded like it came from all around him, modulated and void of identifying factors like gender or emotion.
"::Do you know where you are?::"

"I, uh.. thought I heard the name Radford.."
"Virginia..?"

"::Do you know why you're here?::"

"No.."
"All I know is that.. Frak, man. I'm in the dark here.."
"This can't be about the op... can it..?"

"::Were you exposed to nomadic organisms?::"

"N-no.. If I was, they'd have found it.."
"Both Cambridge and Willard checked me thoroughly.."

"::Is your wife's real name Elisa Cellier?::"

He stopped, and looked towards the ground. Hearing her name only brought memories of her, which only made him leak tears.
"Yes.."

"::Are you a religious man?::"

"Not.. really, no.."

"::Please remain calm.::"

"I'm.. sorry.. I just miss my wife.."

There's several clicking noises and then a continual hiss as the room floods with an alien looking gas.

"Huh..?"
"Hey.. woah... wh-what is this stuff..?"

"::Remain seated and calm.::"

"It's not.. gonna hurt me.. is it?"

"::We do not know.::"

He sits on the bed, breathing erratically. "Eli.. please.."
The gas being a pure concentration of Azurite would lure out the incubi and possible infestation inside Alex if there was one. It would force the Incubi into a false state of security, thinking it was in the presence of allies and its 'home'.
Alex continues to remain seated, nervously looking around as if he was in a room filled with bees.
Nothing comes out of him, except the hastened breaths he drew in and out.

"Neural scans so far were normal sir."

"Either he's not infected or the incubi's smarter." Avery said in reply to the scientist just beside him.

He whispers to himself. "Please... please, please, please..." It was as if he was having a mild panic attack.
The gas slowly drained itself out of the room after ten minutes.

Alex looked around, still breathing erratically. His arms were covered in goosebumps, and he was practically shivering inside himself.
"Sir...what now?"

"There's never a set way to deal with these cases, the anomaly always manifests itself differently, the key is the trigger."

"::Have you been experiencing any pain lately?::"

"The... b-back of my head.."

"::Describe the pain.::"

"Th-throbbing... like a .. r-really bad.. nn-headache.."

"::When did this pain start?::"

"Not.. long after I got... r-released from w-w-Willard.." He rubs his hands against his arms, trying to calm himself down.

"::Have you been able to identify any triggers for this pain?::"

"N-n-no..."

"::You are here because of possible infection.::"

"Wh-w-what..?"
"Oh.. good god.."
"No.."
"Please.. tell me I'm clean."
"For the love of god, tell me I'm clean!"

"::You will remain in quarantine until infection can be determined.::"

"Can.. can I speak.. with someone..?"
"Through.. maybe a comm or.."
"Please.."

"::You are a danger to the external populace until determined clean.::"

"I.. just want to talk with.. Avery.."

"::You are.::"

"Over the.. s-spe-- wh.."
"Avery.."

"Right here."

"Hey.."
"Listen.. the things I said.."

"Were justified, but I would never hurt her."

"Please.. take care of her.. until they prove I'm clean.."

"I promise."

"Thank you.." Several more tears begin to form in his eyes.

"::Remain calm.::" There's several clicking noises again but a sucking noise this time.

"::Azurite dampeners active.::"

"We're trying to either draw out or kill potential incubi, stay calm." There's an audible rumble as the noise grows louder.

He's too lost in thought to listen, his mind focused on Elisa.

"You need to fight this."

"Fight what..?"
"I'm not.."
"I was cleared.."
"Seventeen tests said so.."
"I just want to be with my wife.."

"::We cannot risk the safety of others without obtaining clear determination::"

"I know.."
"I'm not infected.."

He lets out a long sigh, before lying down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling.

"Check his scans again."

"Cross referencing with a recent anomalous detection."

He whispers to himself bits of gibberish he's said over the years of his service.
"Damn jelly pricks.."
"Stupid goddamned war.."
"'Old grudge'..."
"Hmph.."

"You're going to make this through this..."
"So help me God I'll come in there and pull it out myself if I have to."

"Pull what out, Avery.."
"I'm not infected.."

"Back at the estate...your eyes..."

"I'd know if I was.."

"No you wouldn't, infectees never know they are."

"Frak me.."

He covers his eyes with his hands, and then lets them fall off the side of the bed. "I'm royally screwed, aren't I?"

"Only if you give up."

"What choice do I have, Avery?"
"It's either stay here and pray there's not a bug inside me, or wait it out and let it kill me as a final nail.."

"Fight. With all the strength of mind and body you have."

"Frak... just.. frak them.."
"Aliens.. infectees.. all of 'em.."
"Just.. frak them all.."
He thinks back about a minute. "Wait.."
"My eyes..?"
"What happened to my eyes?"

"Have you seen an infectee before?"

"Kind of.."
"They were pictures recovered from Heaven's Gate.."

"They were purple, from end to end, just a split second , but I saw it because I was looking right at you."
"My H.U.D snapped a picture of it and alerted me...that's why I shot at you all of a sudden."

"Damn.."
A tile on the wall in front of Kingston comes to life, displaying the picture in question.
He leans his head up, looking at the picture. His eyes were clearly glowing purple, but very faintly, and nothing quite as extreme as the standard infectees.
"It's.. faint.."
"But.. it's there.."
"Jesus Christ.."

"::Correct::"

"I don't... feel anything though.."
"Maybe I'm not supposed to.."
"Agh! Frak these damn bugs!"
He slams his head down on the bed in anger, his fists clenching and his eyes staring up at the ceiling.

"::Remain calm::"

"I'm trying... you try and stay calm when there could be some.. frakking alien swimming inside you.."
"See how you can deal with it.."
He un-clenches his fists and turns on his side. He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a small bit of paper, looking at it with a light smile.

"::We are attempting to rid the infection. Rather than take standard procedure::"
He keeps looking at the bit of paper, pulling it to his lips, and putting it back into his jacket pocket.
He turns back onto his back, looking up at the ceiling.

"I'm.. not infected, but.. how are you gonna do it..?"

"::The Commander has over-ruled standard protocol, we will try any measures that can rectify this situation::"

"Just.. please, make sure that I get home to Eli.."
"Be it.. by myself, or.."

"::Standard procedure is termination, current procedure is non-standard::"

"Well.. Thank you.. Avery, I guess.."
"But.. how do we even know I'm..?"
"Are you for certain..?"

"::Certainty in these cases is difficult::"
"::Nomadic infestation is near impossible to detect, even the infected individual does not know::"

"'Near-Impossible'?" He puts his hand to the back of his head again, the spot from before having evolved into a strange bump. He twitches, the bump bringing along pain.

"::Fifty six pending cases, but only seven confirmed infectees::"
"::You are not the only quarantined individual here::"

"I figured as much.."

"::Admirals of the secondary fleet, officers many of the same field. All with tactical importance are kept alive in hopes of drawing out or eradication infectation, there has been no success in removal of infection post-exposure::"
"::All infected subjects that were confirmed have thus far been terminated::"

"That's.. n-not.. very reassuring.."

"::The current hope is in the law of probability::"
"::That one case out of the many will form an exception to the general rules and shed light on the workings of such cases::"

"Glad to know the probability of my life being saved is a statistic..." He clenches his fist again, the pain from the back of his head growing again.
"Nghh..." He kept groaning and muttered "Gah... dammit..."
The voice of those observing go silent, more focused on watching his current reaction.
He sits himself up, siding his feet off the side of the bed. He yells somewhat loudly, the pain in the back of his head spiking.
The armed guards standing outside the door of his cell grow somewhat tense, keeping their rifles raised.
Kingston suddenly stops yelling, sitting almost limp for a few seconds.
After several seconds, a large blue mass erupts from his mouth, sending him backwards across the bed. The blue mass begins to shriek and claws at the darkened glass.
Alex falls off the side of the bed, unconscious.
A guard kicks the door open, tossing a net over the blue mass and shocking it into silence.
"Containing incubi."
The other guard makes sure Kingston is secure, checking him multiple times.
"Take that thing into maximum containment, I want every test possible run on it."
Alex lies there, motionless. The lump on the back of his head is gone, but still feels rather tender.
"Incubi secure." The guard drops it into a rather large but transparent box, made out of a material similar to the observation glass.
The creature shrieks as high as it can go. It looked very unreal, resembling a bluish octopus with a longer arm with a mouth on the end.
"Marshals."
"Yes, sir?" Both the guards respond
"Good work...and thank you."
They nod in response, one of them carrying Alex to the medbay and the other taking the incubi to maximum containment.

- - - - PLAYBACK COMPLETE - - - -
- - - - SECURE FILE DOWNLOAD - - - -

[Image: bcd18df289.jpg]

-{Rerouting Radford Research Station Asset File}-
[File: 'M-001' found | Extracting]

Details:

Asset Name: Marshals

Combat Role: Anti-infestation, nomadic investigation and research, containment.

Identification Number: M-001 - instance file

Designation: M-(Marshal's number)

Commanding Officer: Varies, under ESRD and HC command, no interference from other personnel.

Debut Operation: Re-containment of Radford during the escape of subject Romanov.

Equipment: CLASSIFIED

Areas of Operation: Throughout Liberty and with discretion of ESRD potentially beyond the borders.

Bases:
Dreadnought Salem - Head Quarters
Radford Research Station - Notable presence
Battleship James - Small strike wing
Willard Research Station - Small contingency

Current count of personnel operating under this designation: M-001 > M-100 One Hundred unique members.

Summary: Marshals appear to be an extremely new addition to the otherwise standard marine detachments used by the Liberty Navy. The chief difference between these units being their purposes, equipment and chain of command.

Purpose: Although this remains largely in speculation of what Marshals were trained and deployed for, they seem to have been committed and put into work by various command elements inside the Navy as well as ESRD. Mostly the latter, out of a growing concern that nomadic presence in House space had reached alarmingly levels.
Although pure speculation, it's believed that the Marshals were originally conceived and then trained by Avery Reeves, following an instance of Nomads flooding into New York from the Alaska Gate. Though it was an instance that only happened once, it certainly shook the paranoia of several key officers within pertinent positions.
The Marshals are in no way units meant to replace their more front-line oriented comrades, they're an option for situations that require a more refined approach to handling both infectees and nomadic incursions alike, composed of strike wings as well as assault groups, the rosters of which are filled by various Libertonian citizens of varying origins and service records.

Equipment: The equipment utilized by Marshals operating in the field vary from standard issue rifles to those of hybridized nature. Though observations of such instances are beyond scarce and all sightings of strike-wings under their rosters appear to use standard issue weaponry, it should be no surprise these units are granted access to equipment that is otherwise kept within closed fists.
With the exception of Dreadnought Salem, a ship augmented with so many experimental technologies that its effectiveness is truly questionable, all ships deployed and utilized by the marshals in their strike teams are standard Libertonian Naval assets, with little to no real modifications besides some sensor modifications.

Chain of Command: Marshals work in teams of four and are deployed as such, due to their small numbers, it's doubtful one would see more than one unit at any given instance, so as to not stretch their reserve thin or risk taking irrecoverable loss of personnel.
Due to the sensitive nature of waging a war against infected forces, the operations of such a unit fall squarely under the command of pertinent Naval High Command Officers and select operatives of the ESRD. With the threat of infected personnel corrupting the ranks of the Armed Forces, the Marshals have been given the right to attain arrest warrants and conduct investigations on those working under any office. The Marshals are rumored to even be capable of investigating Admirals of the numerous Fleets in the Liberty Navy as well as members of office. Although potentially pure exaggeration to illustrate the integrity of such a unit, it's said that within sufficient reason, doubt and under strict advisement, the Marshals may even have the authority to investigate and detain the President of Liberty or any other ranking official within the Government. Provided this 'strict criteria' is granted. Like many things about this unit, all of this remains speculation, hidden under the guise of rumors and stories to make the existence of the unit seem so beyond the norm that it couldn't possibly be true.

- - - - DOWNLOAD COMPLETE, ARCHIVING - - - -