Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Video Capture of a simple Freelancer ship modelled in short video files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some time ago - someone wondered if there was a video showing the modelling of a ship for Freelancer. As far as i remember that has not been the first time so i decided to upload a video capture of a random Kusari ship (just a concept) made in Metasequia.

Due to the nature of the video capture - you only see the 3d screen while all the tools are invised. Metasequia (freeware version) does only offer that one screen - there is no X, Y, Z screen split - the program is highly intuitive but does not really give you any sophisticated tools. It is good for a quick sketch but does not satisfy any more elaborate model ideas.

enjoy (or be bored to death ... )

By that time - the model has reached "concept stage" meaning you can make out a raw shape and idea of the ship - as well as a kind of size. From that point on - it becomes subject to adjustments, additions, detail work and overall polish. But i have not got that far.

Also mind that due to the nature of luck and randomness - it is unlikely i can record a particularly "good" ship design. This ship was build without any concept or idea. It was all about giving the simple "cube" a shape and proportions and see what becomes of it.

I might add further videos to illustrate this model - especially detail work and so on.

For modellers who simply do not know where to start from a basic shape - this is just to show you how to get going. Work with what you have - and grow the ship. At that stage it is totally irrelevant if your mesh is overcomplex or anything - it is only about an idea and a design.
I remember these. I wonder if we can request a dev to show an A to Z of getting a ship ingame, even if it is literally a cube. Hardpointing, hitboxing, etc. Just an A to Z.
Well - since its just a tutorial - time to get a little rediculous. I had made a simple dragons head yesterday - but the .avi file became kind of corrupted or whatever - so you cannot watch me build this head ... its not too complex - and i just attach it to the ship now similar to one of my older concepts of a Hogosha yacht. (the whole thing is quite similar but who cares)

Now that you do have a raw shape and concept - it is time to give your ship a little personality. (not as much as i gave this example though)

From now on - you can work on fine detail like grills, pipes, maybe exposed internal structure, paneling or other stuff that makes a close up view more exciting. From afar - this concept ship should look unique enough already though.

Total build time: about 75 minutes (obviously, cause those 15x5 minute videos are real time)

Ps.:

Here is the model with added detail - I have not video captured that - because that process is very much trial and error and quite dull to watch.

(07-28-2016, 12:03 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I remember these. I wonder if we can request a dev to show an A to Z of getting a ship ingame, even if it is literally a cube. Hardpointing, hitboxing, etc. Just an A to Z.

I can help you with that Smile
: this concept is kind of what i commented about on your BD replacement battleship ... when i said - dragon head/forward cannon etc.
aye,,, you did Smile
This Tutorial is exactly what I needed. Show me everything, and in return I want you to have my babies.
Pages: 1 2