Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Setting up effective network prioritising/QOS for Freelancer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right so fairly recently i ended up with a new router. However that came with a problem. Because the connection speed here is limited to 576kbps, i had to set up priorities on the old router for games and specific devices, this was fine. It worked quite well in fact.

The main problem i'm having here is the new Router, despite me reserving an IP and setting that IP (My wired PC) as the highest priority with everything else set to 'Low'. Freelancer will run fine at 80-100ms for 5-6 minutes. Then after that point, it'll suddenly shoot up to 900 because the Router from what i can see is no longer seeing this PC traffic as priority and sending it all to the variety of iPads and crap on the network. (mainly iPads streaming Youtube, again i can't just block this specific site as the Router doesn't have that option) The simple solution would be to disconnect said devices, though when people a few years younger than me are involved, this in itself isn't possible - Even despite the fact it's my internet. So. Any ideas folks?

I initially wondered if it was possible to make the FL network traffic more prominent. Other online games seem to be okay because the Router registers them as high priority traffic by default, Freelancer, not so much. What i can't understand is the fact is my main PC is set to the highest priority outright, why doesn't that simply override the QOS crap on these other devices?

Router Stuff:
Netgear N300 ADSL +2 (Modem/Router) - Probably not the best choice in the world but considering the terrible internet anyway, i'm not really prepared to spend any more on it.
I'd suggest you find out the model of your router and ask this question on their forums.