Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cockpit modding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, i've been messing around a little with the cockpit files and i found some cockpit cmp files from the legacy mod.
Since i'm new into 3d moddeling, I'm wondering how to raise the pov of the cockpit camera.
When i use the file, i can't see anything cause of the console beeing in the way.

Anyone could help me with that?
Hey, James. I was working on a cockpit project of my own for Disco and currently a lot of ships have their own bridges, so perhaps I could help you with your problem.

What program are you using when working on the cockpit files? Fixing the camera (pov) of the "pilot" is the only hard thing tbh cuz it requires a lot of logins in order to have the best pov you want. But once you have a clear template where the camera is set exactly where you need it - then it will be very easy for your to continue further with future models.

If I understand this correctly, you are planning to use a cockpit.cmp file from another mod but the camera is not set where you like it?
yup, exactly. i'm using currently a cockpit from Legacy mod. one from a coyote ship. it's nice but i don't see anything since it's like my pilot is a dwarf trying to look over the main console
i'm just trying to make the feeling of flying a fighter a little more realistic. my main ship is a Nyx and i wanted something where i can at least see the nose and maybe the HUD like in a real fighter.
Oh damn, I didn't even knew about the bridges, how do you "enable" them ? I hace coclpit box checked but I am seeing the vanilla fighter/freighter "bars".
Also, cockpits for fighters would be a nice and good addition.
Hey guys!! maybe... it is possible to add a key on game for turn around the "head" inside the cockpit using mouse, when release key, look forward again. That would be really inmersive!!!
i have already managed to export them into ms3d, but now i have issues about how to put them back into cmp format and make theme usable. like said earlier, i am a total noob in modding x)
(08-02-2016, 08:41 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: [ -> ]i have already managed to export them into ms3d, but now i have issues about how to put them back into cmp format and make theme usable. like said earlier, i am a total noob in modding x)

Are you aware how to make another not Disco related .cmp working for you without getting yourself banned?
- You would have to track down the exact "Nyx" cockpit it uses by looking at the .ini files - but do not change anything in the ini file. The path to the used cockpit will be mentioned there. Find that .cmp file and copy its name. Rename your "legacy cockpit".cmp file with this exact name and then overwrite it by copy>paste to the exact location of the disco .cmp "NYX" cockpit file.
I would like to warn you that by doing so you will end up with all ships using "Nyx" cockpit - to use this new Legacy cockpit and things might be messy.

If you were aware of the above then lets talk how to fix the camera. There are many programs out there but I can help you only with milkshape. You would need some files to allow you to import/export FL cmp files. If you have all these already you would have to:
1) Import the cmp file to milkshape.
2) fix the camera by "moving down" the whole "model".
3) export the .cmp file
4) use UTFEdittor to get the the VMeshData and VMeshRef (extracted to desktop)
5) to open the "Legacy cockpit" and import/replace VMeshData and VMeshRef (by overwriting them)

Then to replace again the new cockpit with the "current ingame" one - enter the game and see how it is. If you dont like it - you will have to repeat all these steps above until you finally fix it in a way you like it.

It would take you a lot of time on this alone. Perhaps I could do it for you but am busy in RL. PM me the .cmp file and I will see what I can do #soon.

PS: Using cockpit in fighter here is not to be recommended. If you care for RP and "feeling of being inside the fighter" I fully understand you. But it serves no purpose in PVP

(08-02-2016, 08:36 PM)mayu20 Wrote: [ -> ]how do you "enable" them ? I hace coclpit box checked but I am seeing the vanilla fighter/freighter "bars".
Also, cockpits for fighters would be a nice and good addition.
On which ships you are trying to see them? Fighters and Freighters are using their original...fighter and freighter cockpits. Only bigger transports and caps have new ones.
Also - fighter cockpits might be cool and easy to make - but they are so many fighters/bombers in game it would take year to make such cockpits and very few would care to use them at all. Maybe in future? Smile

(08-02-2016, 08:41 PM)JohnyWalker Wrote: [ -> ]maybe... it is possible to add a key on game for turn around the "head" inside the cockpit using mouse, when release key, look forward again. That would be really inmersive!!!
Nothing inside the cockpit can move/turn...aside from some textures used in the billboards of several places in Fl. Nothing else like turning turrets or heads can be done in any cockpit. They are like stamps on your screen...pictures in front of your camera...
i already messed with the cockpit files and ini files. currently i have the same cockpit as the raven's talon.

and about pvp, i deal with the cockpit view and i'm improving a lot lately.

if you could change a bit the .cmp file of the cockpit i wanna use, it would be cool since i have like no idea what i'm doing lol
i did what you said, but freenlancer minimizes itself when i edit the ini from the nyx cockpit... no clue what went wrong...
Pages: 1 2