Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Greetings... with a questions :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

I finally decided to try and give this space RP a try, cause... why the hell not? I've been roleplaing for more than ten years on different PC games and through a lot of PnP campains, but always in fantasy or modern settings. And since I played a hell out of Freelancer SP back in the day, I decided it's time to go trade online.

Also... I like my music how I like my ships. Heavy and Metal!

And now to the questions.

#1 Let's say I join a trading faction not related to any particular house. I still have to comply to all laws of houses I'am passing through, but what about moving from house to house? I understand that trying to trade in Galia as a trader from Bretonia is a no go, but what about trading between these two systems as a member of independent trading guild?

#2 Independent mining fields. I do understand that some mining fields are open to use to certain factions only, but the Independent fields on the interactive navmap are confusing me a little. Are they free to mine for all or are they claimed by IMG?

#3 Let's say I am a member of some independent trading faction and I do have it's IFF and ID. Can I switch it for a generic Mining ID, go to mine as a side-job on myself, when I'm not needed by the faction, sell what I mined and then switch it back to the faction ID? Is there any general rule against it or is it sdomething each faction decides on it's own? Or is it best done by keeping two characters as a two separate ships of one person?

#4 In fact... can I use several characters as a different ships of a same person? Or each character = new person?
Hello and welcome to Discovery Freelancer. There's no exit, so enjoy your stay!

I'll try to answer your questions.
1. The laws of each houses apply to everyone. Those who are not abiding them get fined by house police/military once caught.
2. Differend faction IDs do have different mining bonus on ores. I'm not an expert when it comes to mining, but as far as I know, IMG have their own fields around Taus and Bretonia. You better wait for a better answer on this question.
3. Switching from one ID to another isn't forbidden. If you wear a faction's tag, you have to have the correct ID mounted. For example; I cannot mount any other ID than Rheinland Police ID if I wear the RFP| tag. I recommend you to create a seperate character for mining to get the mining bonuses.
4. One character can have multiple ships. Just make sure the name makes sense. For example; My ship Wolfram.Kruppstahl can be a Wraith while Wolfram,Kruppstahl can be a Mjolnir, but inRP it's both the same character.

See you around.
Yeah, I do understand I have to comply to all laws of houses I fly through, I was asking if there are any travel restrictions for independent traders.
Hey, welcome to the Community, Demonic.
I'm one of the Angels, name's Zyliath (or just Zyl can do ;3).
Be sure to read the Rules thoroughly before playing and posting, ok?

About your questions, let's see to answer them:

#1. When you fly through House Space, laws apply fully for everyone.
When flying between Houses, law is applied only in the house's zone of interest.
-Example: I am to move from Stuttgart to Cambridge. For that, I have to move through Omega-7 and Omega-3.
Until the Omega-7 jumpgate in Omega-3, you still are under Rheinland laws. As you approach the other side of the system, nearing Bretonia space, applied laws are Bretonia ones.-
This applies also to independents.

#2. Independent Fields are basically free-for-all, although some factions have a mining bonus in them while mining.
#3. You should keep two separate characters if you intend to do such thing.
#4. What Burning said. Nothing to add, duh!

Hope to have clarified your doubts a little!
If you need a hand, look out for an Angel (white name), Moderator (orange name) or Admin (green name).
All said, have a nice experience!
~Zyl