Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: File Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I pulled this from our forums to share with ya'll. The original poster was QL. He was our modder before work took up all his life:

And now today's lesson on OS manipulation.

Ownership and permissions are the root cause of all your patch implosions. How do I know? Aside from debugging most of you and watching the logs for flags, I run the same stuff you do though I use it differently. For me, fouling a patch requires me to actively bork it intentionally. Yes, I know a great deal about computers. Yes, I have a certain moral ambiguity when it comes to "handling" software. Yes, all this stuff comes easy to me. It's what I do and have been for a living back to the time I still had hair on my noggin.
So how in the world can I make you see or get what I'm trying to ultimately teach you about UAC? I hit a wall at times explaining it so I fall back to a certain skill set that makes me very fluent with software. Rather than embedding little toys in the patch to make your machines do what I want them to do, I'm going to give you something. Something very powerful and I urge you not to use it willy nilly. Used on the wrong stuff this can get a little ugly.

READ ALL OF IT AND READ IT CAREFULLY
This is for W7-W10 users ONLY
The following is the text for a regedit file that will install entries onto your boxes. It will add an option to your right click shell menu that will grant ownership and Admin privs to YOU on your box for whatever file or folder (incl subs) that you use it on. It is currently configured for ME atm but I will explain how to mod it so it's specific to you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant Quantumloop:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant Quantumloop:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Copy the text verbatim and slap it into a .txt file.
This is an essential element ... the word Quantumloop:F (seen twice) must be changed to <yourcurrentusername>:F and it must match YOUR CURRENT USERNAME exactly for the account you use to log into Windows.
For example .. if Glock were to use this (heaven forbid) and his actual W7/8 username was ToenailBiter then the text would change from Quantumloop:F to ToenailBiter:F
When you are convinced your syntax is perfect, save the file, change the extension from .txt to .reg and click it. Once run I would encourage you to right click the Freelancer folders and apply it. Every file and folder in there will be reset with you as an appropriate authority. Though second in command of your comp you'll have the "juice" to do things, like patch, those contained files without a lotta bull<cough>.

I'm begging you. If you have any trepidations about this, do not monkey with it but instead MAIL ME. I'll write one specifically for your computer. AND for the love of PETE, don't start taking ownership/permissions of stuff you haven't a clue about. There are things in the OS that must be kept out of your hands.

This pic is what it'll look like when done. Naturally I'm an arrogant soag so mine says Take OwnershipQ Cheesy

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r728...7ebd18.png

When used on large folders you'll see a cmd prompt pop up and hundreds of lines of text pouring through it. Relax. That's what's supposed to happen. The FLPTC folder, for example, has 11K+ files and hundreds of folders it will be changing, and changing twice (owner/privilege) so it can take a few seconds to chew through them. Naturally, the use of this is optional. OH YA. There's nuttin' shady about this either. MSC, WAT, and WGA will still love you.
Next week I'll teach you how to remote edit the micro chip in Glocks refrigerator to change his chocolate milk into toejam. Wink

-Q

PS:
The following lines in a .reg file will remove the right click option.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
Derp. I forgot to edit in 1 important step. Nowadays Winblows turns off the viewing of file extensions by default. This is a very easy fix. Open your file browser. In windows i think it is called windows explorer or something like that.. Go to your settings and tick on the part about file extensions. There are a couple other things you may want to enable as well. Like the part about hide/show hidden folders/files. Show those folders so you can actually find them for once.

And since no-one has seen neither hair nor hide of QL in a while. If anybody needs the above registry edit made for them. Just pm me and I will tell you what I need and send you your very own "Do what I say winblows, or i'll shoot you" file to run.

FYI, please do not "TLDR" this, because if you do and you try this without reading and understanding every syllable, you will ruin your computing life. Just use this reg edit on folders and files of programs that YOU personally have installed on your computer, nothing else. Save yourself from the metric tons of virus's that and most likely hidden in your systems. (I bet most of ya'll have completely infected systems, which proves your AV is just scamming you out of hard earned money and I can easily prove it)

Anyway, before I go off on a tangent about how crappy windows is and how to break it's essentials for it's desired crappiness. lemme stop. because if a lot of you ran your systems like I do mine. You would end up not being able to let cortana listen to you sleep or windows update the update for the update of the update. Yes, I broke those so they do not function any longer..... Windows could not even fix it if it wanted to. It would take a full reinstall to get those virus's infecting againWink

See what I mean. Ok, rant over. Peace ya'll.

Hooligan (Resident file monkey at CHAOS server) AKA Captain Hoppy Stumpster AKA Agender Worm AKA Zhi Zat Zher-zophlam AKA

PS:

cd ~
su apt-get autoremove C:/windows/win32(forever mofo's)
If you're looking for a way to 'take ownership' of things, this already exists.
You can download that here.

Merely install the .reg file

Now you can right click anything and click 'take ownership' which does all of the permission stuff for you. Same result, a lot easier to do. (Works on Windows only)
Horray for not bricking your OS!
haha it's the same as what I posted. I just showed how to make said reg file. nice though, glad it is out there for people to use.
Users really don't want to touch the registry unless they know what they're doing. Something you have made pretty darn clear in your posts as well. It's best they use a shortcut, rather than trying to implement it themselves.
Thanks for bringing this up, though!
Though it should be reiterated a thousand times over. Be very careful what you use this on. Giving full admin rights to random software you never installed yourself can completely ruin your day and unleash the mother beast of all annoyances on your computers.
I went ahead and downloaded the version you posted because this will save me a whopping 12 seconds of my time helping people with their computer issues.

For the more savy user.. install the reg edit.. then reboot windows into safe mode. Then run you AV. Set your av to do nothing but report what it finds. Run the scan. after the scam, check the scan logs and find every infected folder manually. Goto each folder manually and take ownership then remove it from your system.

I do this because a lot of AV's only quarantine and or do not properly remove all traces of problems. The AV's I use are Malwarebytes and Clam for Windows. I have been using Clam almost a decade now. About 8 years. I love it. It is free by law, as in, open source, as in, you better share it for free or you are in trouble for being a bad, greedy human.

http://www.clamwin.com/
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

And if you run servers of any kind and want very specific levels of system control.. This is highly configurable, but if not setup right will slow down everything. It scans all use in real time. The closest thing to it I have ever used is SELinux in a RedHat suite.
http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/