Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I have a problem with discovery. For me it doesnt work.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Things to make clear: Im quite dissapointed with the actual situation.

When i remembered about freelancer and decided to play it again, i wondered if there was still some online communities around, and luckly, i found yours. I expected bigger things.

At first, i was amazed that a mod from such an old game had so many content, even a new house added into the game, and being able to play with any faction/corporation in the game. I loved the idea.

On my first weeks, i started as the typical noob around the game, just collecting credits, and thinking that you can join a faction later. And after that, i discovered that mining was a good way to make profit. Or morelike, the ONLY way to make a good ammount of profit. I tried several times to smuggle, and i couldnt find any way at first, and when i did, it was worhtless. So i was stuck at first with a pelican, moving gold to Munich back and forth until i got enough credits, then i got finally the hegemon, god, that increased so much my gains.

Later i joined the IMG, i was so happy to being in an official faction, they helped me to get a good ammount of credits so i could finally start properly in discovery, i must thank them, because if it wasnt for them i would have been stuck forever and pretty much i would have left prematurely.

As of today, i have advanced quite a lot compared to what i thought, i have coalition character, a junker, my IMG official character, and a freelancer. And i have free slots to keep trying new factions and see how they work.

Now, lets get to the point of the reason i made this thread.

I know that Discovery freelancer isnt such a big community as many would wish to, but it could be better right now, in my point of view. I know that its a roleplay server, when i entered i wanted to try how it worked because i liked the idea of making my own character. But for a game about factions and such a huge level, making it a roleplay game its not going to give it much appreciation.
Right now, the game, the world, it feels empty, because almost all of the factions dont have any activity at all, you cant go lone wolf and enter enemy space just to encounter a dreadnought waiting for you on a gate. A faction is meant to be on group, obviously.

But, how many factions/corporations do we have in the game actually? Are they even properly working with the other factions?

This is the situation i find myself with, almost none a single faction has activity. And sadly the server isnt big enough to hold entire fleets to engage. I dont even think you can go with your friends to attack into another house territory before warning the enemy house. Its one of the reasons i think the RP is what it craps over the fun of making this a huge game.

There is too many factions in the game. Thats the big problem with the game, you dont know what to join because or there isnt activity, or there isnt opposition. Im not asking to make the server non-rp, but to fix the enourmous lack of activity and give more life to the world that freelancer is, give it more objectives to keep playing the game.

Now, it hurts me to say this, but, the IMG have bored me, because we dont do anything else right now apart from, mining some ore, filling cargo ships, then make cash, and repeat until we get tired. Thats it.

We dont work for anyone else except for ourselves, when is expected corporations to work for their own houses, like, traders bringing materials that their own houses dont have, miners bringing ores for their houses, but right now, i barely see them do any of those things because there is nothing to do right now and there isnt any reward at all. Im sure the PoBs are exactly for that, but i just see abandoned bases that dont seem to have purpose.

To end this, i know that i may be just talking shit wihout any idea of how truly is the game, but this is right now how i feel with the game and the community, its empty. Im just simply dissapointed that i expected at least, a game where i could find people to play with, and there isnt.

Im sorry about this thread, but i couldnt keep it more, i dont know if im going to leave wihout achieving nothing and wait for Space Citizen to come out, or keep playing until i definitely get bored or o manage to bring more activity to the server, which would be a miracle.
I know what you mean, but the problem is not the RP. There are many problems.

Everything is too spread out. Piracy isn't lucrative or fun because you hardly meet a trader/mine. Trading and mining is almost risk free, then you buy your cap, get regularly destroyed or avoided by da pros, so you leave. Or you build a base, see everything you worked for destroyed by a bunch of pro-trolls, and leave. Factions are either locked in their ZOIs, too far away from each other, or nerfed against "abuse" to make "use" too restricted and boring. Factions avoid recruiting noobs, because they'll only give them a "bad name" and 0 chance of success in the "balanced" fight honor system or "my RP is good yours is horrible nobody needs you" showboating. Basically, since 4.86 the mod is tuned to fix the problems of an overpopulated 4.85 server, but in the state when its actually underpopulated.

Move players closer together. Concentrate trade and mining into a state where piracy works again. Engage people into other goals than getting their caps and bases, specifically by rewarding formation of groups. Yes, that means "friends groups", "noob groups", "pvp groups", "RP-ony groups", "base-focused groups", all of which self-declared heros of the server sociology always find a reason to destroy for the horrible horibble things they could theoretically do. Drop the stupid "balance fights so the more pro side wins" philosophy which has turned each and every faction feedback thread into a hypocritical cesspit that's constantly locked because this is the one and only subject people always complain about. Reward pros for playing with and not against noobs, don't punish them for it.

Things aren't going to get any better unless you do these things.

And nuke Gallia.