Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Barrel rolls and other dogfight stunts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there!

I know I already posted in the General Mod Discussion thread, but I think it is worth to be discussed about.

What would be the advantage/disadvantages if the barrel roll speed of snubs would be increased, let's say at least by 75% or doubled?

Since most of the players use ship view, I was wondering if it would make any differences for them to have a fighter constantly barrel rolling. or at least doing some flashy dogfighting moveslike in the movies Cool

I think it is just a fun factor thing and would not give a real advantage for cockpit users.

But maybe I'm wrong and it would be too OP to be considered for a future update.
Barrel rolls are useless in space combat when compared to it's modern day usage. The idea of the barrel roll is to bleed speed and force an attacker to overshoot. Since there's hardly any physics in Disco, it would be rather useless. Also, the targeting crosshair makes you shoot the very center of a ship so there would be few advantages in terms of ship shape.

That said, sure lets up it if it provides a different feel for the very few who use cockpit view.
Then we need the devs to approve it.

Developpers, Your turn to answer! Big Grin
(08-31-2016, 05:55 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: [ -> ]Then we need the devs to approve it.

Turn rate and reaction time is calculated on the X, Y, and Z axes, with Z being roll. If you disproportionately increase the roll rate you're going to end up with some odd effects, and as such this isn't something that can really be done. If roll rate were a different stat not intrinsically tied with the maneuverability code we could do it, but unfortunately that is not the case.
(08-31-2016, 06:56 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2016, 05:55 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: [ -> ]Then we need the devs to approve it.

Turn rate and reaction time is calculated on the X, Y, and Z axes, with Z being roll. If you disproportionately increase the roll rate you're going to end up with some odd effects, and as such this isn't something that can really be done. If roll rate were a different stat not intrinsically tied with the maneuverability code we could do it, but unfortunately that is not the case.

But when I tried it in Single player mode, it worked really fine. I only changed the Z axis rate by double it, and it had no odd effects. or I just didn't notice anything. What effects are you speaking of?
It can be done while turret steering to adjust your shooting arcs.
I'm not talking about changing the roll rate for capships. only for snubs. since they are lighter and should roll a lot faster than capships. but when I last tried a cap, it seemed to me that the roll rate is only 3 times lower than of a fighter, which is not proportional to the size differences between both ship classes.
Rolling is actually useful in dogfights in disco when dodging.
But until now, I've seen nobody using it.
Adjusting roll speed modifies how a ship handles overall, generally increasing turn speed (by quite a lot). Also, when there was a ship that had the roll speed required for this (the Falchion right after it was made a VHF) it made it nothing but an obnoxious shieldrunner. People would fly erratically while holding down one roll key in cockpit view to just not die.
Pages: 1 2