Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [CLOSED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've seen many players taking breaks and complaining about factions that simply play this game for PvP only.
I think Disco has turned into a more Space CoD game now, when 2 enemy players meet each other at least one of them drops 2 lines and then engages, maybe a bit more but why does it always have to end in a fight?
Why can't there be at least like 5 min RP before engaging?
I think the rules should state that you need way more lines of RP before a fight.

Anybody got an even better suggestion?
Much like the point I made here: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...pid1819405

I do feel like enforcing a little more solid RP would go a long way.
(09-11-2016, 04:33 PM)Trivjum Wrote: [ -> ]Much like the point I made here: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...pid1819405

I do feel like enforcing a little more solid RP would go a long way.

But for the people that prefer RP before PvP it is just not so much fun anymore
Back in 2007-2008 we had a dedicated PVP server which wasn't that active compared to the RP server.
It was shut down after some years due to inactivity and maybe other costs. I don't remember everything.

Maybe we should re-create a PVP server with the same mod version for those who want to PVP all day long and when they're tired of PVP, they can return to the RP server for RP.
(09-11-2016, 04:38 PM)Internity Wrote: [ -> ]Back in 2007-2008 we had a dedicated PVP server which wasn't that active compared to the RP server.
It was shut down after some years due to inactivity and maybe other costs. I don't remember everything.

Maybe we should re-create a PVP server with the same mod version for those who want to PVP all day long and when they're tired of PVP, they can return to the RP server for RP.

Hmm....PvP is good and mandatory it is a part of roleplay but i think it is more the SECONDARY part of RP, another Server would just lower the playercount.
(09-11-2016, 04:29 PM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]I think the rules should state that you need way more lines of RP before a fight.
The point of a roleplaying environment is that it attempts to, at least in some way, simulate a realistic or at least believable scenario. As nothing unreal exists, naturally, we have to draw on real life to determine what is and isn't realistic -- maybe it seems like a tautology, but it's important to keep in mind. A great deal of hostile encounters in the game are between enemy soldiers; soldiers of Liberty or the Hellfire Legion or the Gallic Royal Navy coming up against one of the other two, for example.

In real life, these soldiers would give each other no warning before engaging each other unless there was some sort of extremely extenuating circumstance, such as, say, requesting safe passage because they were transporting wounded soldiers or even civilians. So, naturally, if we're trying to be realistic, it's a little silly to expect a GRN| and an [LN] player to shout at each other for, as you say, five minutes or so before right-clicking as hard as they can, especially when most of the time the players just want to get to the pews anyway. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that engagement restrictions, in this case, are only there to encourage people to play by the "rule of cool" (being rad af takes precedence over anything else, including realism, and some healthy taunting and space-banter is a pretty cool part of the universe).

In situations like piracy, it's admittedly less clear-cut, but I'm part of the school of thought which holds that as long as it makes sense for the character to be doing, it shouldn't be against the rules, period (unless there's obvious ooRP harassment going on and grudges between players [not characters] being pursued). I understand the frustrations many players have been very vocally expressing lately, as someone who once voiced similar concerns myself in years past, but I think the solution for them is just to try and make themselves more appetizing to exchange text with rather than to try and enforce their vision of roleplay onto other players. Certainly, mandating an interaction last a minimum amount of time is an extremely ham-fisted way to go about it -- it would completely kill piracy (five minutes is way more than enough time to get away, call for help, or both) and bounty-hunting alike (same deal).

tl;dr You probably have good intentions with this thread, but it's truly an awful, terrible idea.
The best way to bring the needle back towards the centre of the RP/PvP balance is for people to play with that in mind, gradually folks will take note and either join you or perhaps emulate it within their own chosen areas. You can't change the community but you can influence it.
(09-11-2016, 04:41 PM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2016, 04:38 PM)Internity Wrote: [ -> ]Back in 2007-2008 we had a dedicated PVP server which wasn't that active compared to the RP server.

Hmm....PvP is good and mandatory it is a part of roleplay but i think it is more the SECONDARY part of RP, another Server would just lower the playercount.

It's no more secondary as primary to RP.PvP exists for a reason,factions exists for a reason.Do you seriously expect an Outcast(say,an NC *cough*)would actually RP for 5 or more minutes with a Colonial considering their history together?Just like Petitioner said,there are points where extended RP is meaningless.
(09-11-2016, 04:48 PM)Petitioner Wrote: [ -> ]The point of a roleplaying environment is that it attempts to, at least in some way, simulate a realistic or at least believable scenario. As nothing unreal exists, naturally, we have to draw on real life to determine what is and isn't realistic -- maybe it seems like a tautology, but it's important to keep in mind. A great deal of hostile encounters in the game are between enemy soldiers; soldiers of Liberty or the Hellfire Legion or the Gallic Royal Navy coming up against one of the other two, for example.

In real life, these soldiers would give each other no warning before engaging each other unless there was some sort of extremely extenuating circumstance, such as, say, requesting safe passage because they were transporting wounded soldiers or even civilians. So, naturally, if we're trying to be realistic, it's a little silly to expect a GRN| and an [LN] player to shout at each other for, as you say, five minutes or so before right-clicking as hard as they can, especially when most of the time the players just want to get to the pews anyway. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that engagement restrictions, in this case, are only there to encourage people to play by the "rule of cool" (being rad af takes precedence over anything else, including realism, and some healthy taunting and space-banter is a pretty cool part of the universe).

In situations like piracy, it's admittedly less clear-cut, but I'm part of the school of thought which holds that as long as it makes sense for the character to be doing, it shouldn't be against the rules, period (unless there's obvious ooRP harassment going on and grudges between players [not characters] being pursued). I understand the frustrations many players have been very vocally expressing lately, as someone who once voiced similar concerns myself in years past, but I think the solution for them is just to try and make themselves more appetizing to exchange text with rather than to try and enforce their vision of roleplay onto other players. Certainly, mandating an interaction last a minimum amount of time is an extremely ham-fisted way to go about it -- it would completely kill piracy (five minutes is way more than enough time to get away, call for help, or both) and bounty-hunting alike (same deal).

tl;dr You probably have good intentions with this thread, but it's truly an awful, terrible idea.

Just can agree to this here.
Seconding everything Petitioner, Corr, and Werdackle have said. I need to go dig up Dieter's old avvy.
Pages: 1 2