Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mission balance review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi boys, I've been playing Disco with two characters, a trader and a britonia dogfighter, and I make this post to give some info about ... missions.
As a trader, missions are completely useless. The ship I use, a serenity, is good for trading, not for fighting. And when trading goods between an average of 4 systems, I can make 5M without any troubles (spawning npcs are weak).
As a fighter, after buying an eagle VHF, I must say the missions are really unbalanced. This has no regard to the NPC difficulty, really. It's more the kind of ships that spawn, and the existance or not of weapon platforms. So, even if I make a cheap mission (level 9) to bring down some weapon platforms, I certainly get some hits from the missiles, and I certainly get some minor damage. Well, the price of repairing that damage is always bigger than the mission reward.
If I try a harder mission (ex, a level 29 400k), I get to fight several VHF with powerful weapons. I can't make that sort of mission without proper use of missiles and(or mines, and that costs money, so, in the end, my profit is always shitty.

So my solution has been making money with the trader character and send it to my fighter character for some fun time. (I do love the PVE)
Oh, by the way, missions above 800k, I just can't make them with a VHF, I need a gunboat or cruiser for that, or the company of more players.

Now for the constructive part, I do think the mission rewards should be upped in relation to mission level, because fighter characters do need to earn their cash. They fly a ship that needs repairs, and they need to buy CD's, Missiles, Mines, nanobots and shield batteries.

Another option would be to create more human-commodities. Different classes of pilots the NPC's drop that can be sold for higher values. (ex: corsair rookie 1k, corsair pilot 5k, corsair veteran 10k, corsair ace 50k, corsair captain 100k, corsair commander 300k, infamous corsair 500k)

I hope this helps to return balance to this fine MOD. Also, I think the spawning NPC's should be a bit more harder (a bit, I do know players need the time to RP without NPC hassle)
(09-22-2016, 09:15 AM)John_Dawg Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, by the way, missions above 800k, I just can't make them with a VHF, I need a gunboat or cruiser for that, or the company of more players.

This greatly depends where you are doing those missions, and against who. My favorite missions are against GMG in Omicron Beta. Here I can take 2.1 mil mission vs GMG that is guaranteed to spawn nothing more than swarms of fighters, that despite being very nasty to solo VHF I can usually take care of and get actually profit extra by pulling additional dime from ship equipment I've salvaged in course of mission.
(09-22-2016, 09:15 AM)John_Dawg Wrote: [ -> ]So my solution has been making money with the trader character and send it to my fighter character for some fun time.
This is what everyone does. Unless you're really good at PvP and like to hunt lots of bounties, you can't make enough money on a fighter to even upkeep the ship. Almost all players on this server have a trade character or two that they use to fund all the rest of their projects with.

(09-22-2016, 09:15 AM)John_Dawg Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, by the way, missions above 800k, I just can't make them with a VHF, I need a gunboat or cruiser for that, or the company of more players.
Working as designed. Those missions were designed for players to do in capital ships. These missions actually can make money, since the NPC capital ships will drop millions of credits worth of commodities in the form of Credit Cards. Regardless, though, it's still less efficient than trading.

Missions in general aren't really meant to be taken seriously as anything other than a way to pass the time if you have absolutely nothing else to do. My understanding is that cap missions and such were added when it was thought that PvE was a fun part of the mod for most people, which is an understanding that's since shifted.