Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Notice: Current and future state of ingame events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there, guys.

We are slowly nearing the new patch and with it comes a whole list of goodies. Over the last half a month, I've been getting accustomed to all of the available tools of trade that can be used to make your everyday online-time on the server a bit more surprising than usual. Something to look forward to when you can. However, there needs to be a few things said regarding how the events themselves will be done now.

First of all, I am glad that most of the events went on without too much drama. I am very glad to see that most the people involved with them exercised restraint and kept it fun for both sides and that the official factions involved tried to actively help me in making these events fun. However, as you probably already guessed, hosting two events per week was mostly to help me test all of the possible variations as well as pin down and document some of the problems we've encountered previously, such as the bork-fest that was the Tridente Blockade.

I hope that I am not going to surprise anyone by saying that Events are something to aid you ingame and to provide a brief break from the everyday experiences, or to provide a small boost in activity in certain areas. But usually - this is something that any one of you can do on you own. If you need any examples, that is how my first scavenger events started - anyone can make these.

So what I am essentially trying to say here is that Events need to not only feel special, but also need to avoid making the same mistakes as the previous ones, where a buffed commodity would end up running for months at a time and not only establish a ''main'' trade route and take away potential activity from other areas of the server, but also inject a huge amount of credits into the mix. The last thing I want to do is to acclimate players to log only for events.

We are still working on feasible moneysinks so that your earned billions of credits can be spent on something worthwhile, but until such measures are fully functional - buffs need to be kept in check.

With that in mind, this is how things are going to be handled for the nearest future. Of course, much of the information below can be altered at some point.

INTRODUCING: 3 TIERS OF SERVER EVENTS

In order to further streamline the event process, these will be the three ''types'' of ingame happenings that you can look forward to.

Tier I
Official / Main Events

These are going to be the ''main'' kind of events. They are meant to advance the story or have ''reasonable'' impact on roleplay as well as offer plenty of roleplay for the involved parties to use for their own benefit. They usually will involve server-side actions such as the kill/cargo bonuses and scoreboards. They will be mostly kept to 1-2 events per month and will be mostly populated out official events that factions will submit for evaluation by the dev/admin team.

These are also almost exclusively designed around Player versus Player interaction (Read: interaction, not necessarily combat).

Examples of these events would be the Kusari-Sigma-Rheinland run and the RH vs RM events.

Tier II
"Mini"-Events

Mini events are designed to provide a temporary boost in activity in certain areas of the game world and will usually be announced via console. These announcements can be done either some time before the event starts or right as it does so to catch people off-guard - depending on the circumstances.

While most of these mini-events will involve PvE elements, there will be an admin-tagged presence on the server and (if acceptable) certain IDed players will be told that they can be beamed to the location to side with the NPCs against the other players if they PM said admin.

If you die to an NPC - you can reengage as it was not a PVP death, unless there are players actively playing for the NPCs.

Obviously, some of these can be much more elaborate than others. Stay tuned for POBs and jumpholes.

Examples of "Mini"-Events include the Bretonia GRN scouting party or the Tau 23 Wilde-Incursion or the Liberty Nomad-raid party.

Tier III
"Micro"-Events

Micro events are similar as Mini-Events, though unlike the former that are aimed at places with lower player-count in order to provide boosts in activity, Micro events will be spawned for areas with already existing player count. Also unlike the former, these are spawned from ''incognito'' admin characters and are not advertised.

Do not worry, they are not as ''sudden'' as dropping a batch of NPCs on top of a cybering group of players - if you want examples of previous events like this, the first one was spawned by a player jumping out of a lane and calling help to investigate an oddly out of place nomad NPC in California, only to escalate into something much bigger.

If you die to an NPC - you can reengage as it was not a PVP death.

So those are the gist of things.
Now, as far as event idea submissions go - there will be a certain subforum for them. I will post a thread soon, where you can submit ideas for mini and micro events. At the end of the month, I will count them up and make a public poll so you can vote for two of your most favorite. The most voted ones will be then used fully or as bases for future ones.

So yeah. That about covers things.
Gonna make a mini-event later today, I hope. Keep your eyes and ears open for it.
I was expecting something like this. Not much more to add, looking forward to that suggestions subforum though!
Can we have sudden spawns that make sense? Not a random nomad base in the middle of New Berlin, please.
Good work. I'm really looking forward for more events. I may have a few ideas, so I'll just wait for that subforum.

And what Yber said, maybe put an temporary anomaly somewhere and spawn the Nomads from there?
(09-29-2016, 02:52 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]an oddly out of place nomad NPC in California,
Honestly, any nomads outside their homesystems and Omicrons are out of place.
Spazzy, type .aifleet aprilnephs...

Just do it.
Looks really nice. I like it. Hopefully we never run out of ideas for events.

(09-29-2016, 07:36 PM)Arioch Wrote: [ -> ]Spazzy, type .aifleet aprilnephs...

Just do it.

Why do I think I saw them already... oh god..
nice to see some signs of life

best of luck to you, Spazz. you're doing an astronomical job

(09-29-2016, 07:20 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2016, 02:52 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]an oddly out of place nomad NPC in California,
Honestly, any nomads outside their homesystems and Omicrons are out of place.

noms can freely lurk in any system. if they prefer to hide in omicrons, it doesn't means that they can't visit house space.

a lil reminder - Sirius sector was a property of their creators
(09-29-2016, 08:35 PM)Operator Wrote: [ -> ]a lil reminder - Sirius sector was a property of their creators

And their cloaks are still better than ours.
(09-29-2016, 09:04 PM)Demonic Wrote: [ -> ]And their cloaks are still better than ours.

For now... [Image: skype-emoticon0174-bandit.png]
Pages: 1 2