Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Re-imagining PoBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is just a thought experiment. Brainstorming without any real demands to it.

If the PoB interface could be re-invented from the bottom up, how would you make it look?

Most ideas I or others have about this will probably not get implemented because it's impossible or even if it wasn't, there's probably no one left to do it.

Here are a few ideas to change POB game mechanics I had:

Don't make every POB the standard area-interdicting ore-storing supertech-producing asset that they can be now.

Make different types of bases for different kinds of applications in different places.

For example, make some POBs different annexes for existing bases:

-A "Hangar for Rent" type pseudo-base with nothing but a small cargo storage so people can store things like code name guns or change gear between ships, and without a 3D model (maybe dock with an existing base using a code similar to docking modules). All people do is pay a (relatively steep) rent per week/month to keep their storage.

-A "Storage Annex" to an existing base, or near existing bases, which is nothing but cargo storage without supertech factories.

-A "Factory" type annex that can be built near ship yards. Docking modules should be buildable by every faction, but special tech like jump drives and cloaks only by certain factions for which it make sense IRP.

-"Defense modules" that can be built near existing station to make them safe areas (for example make people safe from nomads near FP 11, and also enforce the "nofire zones" by adding people to hostile lists)

From what I saw some POBs (the ones that don't have any problems) are effectively already being played in this way, because they only serve one of those purposes, and are effectively indestructible already because they're near other bases.

Bases should be indestructible by players, but require enough maintenance so people will only "feed" them if they are really interested in them. Also, the primary build cost should be small relatively to the maintenance cost, so people aren't slaves to what they built, but do feed and create trade when they are still interested in what the base does.

For bases built far away from other bases, I guess they could be SRPed, but they should still be indestructible.

Maybe shutting off the vulnerability to fire will also greatly reduce the server load they produce? I don't know.

But I do think that making PoBs destructible to gangs is a genuinely bad concept because of the gang mentality, pissing contests, ruined game experience, and ruined week/month long efforts it produced.