Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Power core at 100+ percent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wonder if it possible to use the same mechanism that is used to nerf incompatible tech for boosting the power core beyond 100%? That'd be interesting RP opportunity for research groups, with equipment like IRG Power Core actually having in-game impact on the ship stats.

Are there limits of game mechanics that support that? Are there unforeseen consequences?
casualty Wrote:Are there limits of game mechanics that support that?
Yes.
casualty Wrote:Are there unforeseen consequences?
Yes.

One does not simply overclock power core. It's RP based and it will probably stay this way, on the other hand IRG won't sell power cores to warmongers, I don't think we have it in our MO.
No, there are no limits to that, it can be done, others have done it years ago.
I've been playing on a server years ago where they had "power core upgrades".
By installing one those power core upgrades you could have 50% more energy and a faster power core recharge. Some even offered 80% more power and you could fire your guns for longer periods of time.

But no, we can't have any upgrades here, we only know to ruin things rather than improving them.
It would ruin game balance afaik.
Yeah. Implementing these would mean adding even more variables to account for while balancing the stuff. While I fully support the idea of upgrades, I think it would either unbalance the game, or add a ton of work for the guys balancing it.
(10-24-2016, 10:09 PM)Sky Wrote: [ -> ]
casualty Wrote:Are there limits of game mechanics that support that?
Yes.
casualty Wrote:Are there unforeseen consequences?
Yes.

One does not simply overclock power core. It's RP based and it will probably stay this way, on the other hand IRG won't sell power cores to warmongers, I don't think we have it in our MO.

Yes, it sounds like the proper way to do that is SRP request based on RP with IRG to purchase the power cell, at the very least.

I was thinking about controlling that in the same way the tech compat chart works now, i.e. a faction that owns/produces the particular type of cell or upgrade specifies which IDs are eligible to use it.
Idea is glorious but imho just not doable for our server. Devs have much bigger problems than thinking about new upgrades for the game, there is far too many bugs to deal with and just general problems about way too many things. They got their hands full for next few months I think.
Perhaps a power core addon reduces the hull of your ship by a certain amount, and doesn't allow you to equip armour when equipped, as well as taking up cargo space, So you can make a Glass Cannon type ship if you so choose!

Just some food for thought, Idk if that would potentially work!
Implementing it should be no problem, just make the powercores take up space in cargo so that you cannot have... say an Armor Upgrade VIII and a Power Core Upgrade in harmony. A sacrifice in ship hull for more powercore seems like a nice trade-off.
(10-24-2016, 11:39 PM)Traxit Wrote: [ -> ]Implementing it should be no problem, just make the powercores take up space in cargo so that you cannot have... say an Armor Upgrade VIII and a Power Core Upgrade in harmony. A sacrifice in ship hull for more powercore seems like a nice trade-off.

This is a nice idea how to balance it out.
Pages: 1 2