Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Tutorial] Jump Hole Generators - How do they work? (Updated December 14th)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: EQhFwdL.png]
[Image: wvlbmCv.png]

1. Introduction
The "Jumphole Generator" is a semi-permanent event item (Literally, it spawns events), that is the key part and instigator of the "Jumphole Connection" event series. It is an IRP item that is considered to be a very advanced type of technology, comparable to that of Jump Drives and Cloaking Devices and is used to create temporary and highly unstable jumphole anomalies at a specified location. While the player has complete control where to put the ''entrance'' to the jumphole, the exit is semi-randomized. The generator also has a small chance to fail catastrophically, which would trigger a whole different kind of event.

2. Acquiring the Item
Unlike other event items, the Jumphole Generator needs to be assembled from ten (10) Jumphole Generator Parts. These items cannot be bought and are only added to the game world via admin commands, usually found on hidden bases during mini-events, on certain admin-spawned NPCs and as certain random encounters as well as buying the item off of other players on the forums. The commodity takes up one unit of cargo and, being a commodity, cannot be transferred via Connecticut. The commodity itself also overrides ID engagement rules and allows other players with non-generic IDs to treat the players carrying this item as combat targets. The items also do not have a sell-location, thus costing mere 100$ per unit on all bases.

3. Using the Item

Once a player has obtained 10 parts, they are eligible to start a "Jumphole Connection" event. The procedure is simple. The person must PM an active server administrator or submit a player request with the following details. Only one generator may be activated per week.

1. Name of the ship with the parts onboard
2. Screenshot + timestamp of the location they wish to activate the event at. Example: http://i.imgur.com/8fcfzVm.png
3. A writeup to a roleplay post regarding the activation of the item. It may be a captain's entry, a transmission, a story - your choice.

Once the item is used, the 10 parts will be removed from the ship's inventory.
The created jumphole (Or the failure state) will be activated on a Friday and will last until monday.

4. Rules and Limitations
1. There are no anonymous generator activation - IRP the sat-buoys will pick up the anomaly as well as the ships in the area. Any and all RP consequences will apply.
2. The generator may not be placed closer than 60k to the nearest dockable station (Or POB). Jump Gates or Jump Holes are not taken into account, however the nearest stations from them on the other side are. The locations of both jumpholes will be publicly revealed upon the start of the event.
3. Generic IDs may only activate the item outside of House Space as defined by the server rules.
4. During the time of the event, IDs that have ZOI in the corresponding systems will have their rights extended to the connected system for the duration of the event.
5. Ship-type limitations may be assigned in extreme cases of abuse or imbalance.
6. Ore prices may be adjusted for the duration of the event if the resulting connection reduces the normal trip by more than half.
7. The administration team can prematurely end the event if they deem that the resulting player actions bring harm to server gameplay. Exercise restraint.

5. Questions
Will be answered in this thread.

Would it be possible to 'reverse-engineer' these magical boxes, should you collect enough? Maybe something like the Adapted Nomad Blaster things, less duration but maybe a more 'defined' end location(maybe within 2 systems of the intended destination)

Also, if they are able to be reverse-engineered, would PoBs with certain modules be able to make them?
At this point, there are no plans to allow players to build these items on their own. This sort of type of event is still being tested, especially when it comes to impact on roleplay relations between regions due to the ID ZOI overlap during rifts.
Quote:3. Generic IDs may only activate the item outside of House Space as defined by the server rules.
Can I ask about the thought process behind this particular restriction?
Freelancer IDs cannot have the same RP consequences imposed on them.
(10-26-2016, 04:09 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Freelancer IDs cannot have the same RP consequences imposed on them.

But things like the Junker ID and Pirate ID can steal them through piracy, correct? I am also assuming that one can be bountied by a faction for the cargo and it can be brought to the faction demanding the bounty?

Edit: Er- yeah I did. I think I wrote it corresponding to the 'cannot be treated as a combat target by generic-ID' part.

Let me rephrase that: Can you be pirated for the item by the Pirate ID?
I think you misread the line. It has nothing to do with getting the item from the FL IDed player, but rather how much the House authorities can react to such a development. If you wish to activate the item in house space, have it done with the locals.

And if you do want to use a FL ID, you still have plenty of non-house space hotspots to plonk one down.
Awesome to see this take shape so quickly.

Another slight question: the line "A writeup to a roleplay post regarding the activation of the item. It may be a captain's entry, a transmission, a story - your choice. It will be posted with that person's account name in the apropriate section the moment the jumphole is spawned.".

So, the jumphole requestor writes the roleplay post and puts it...where? If the post is to be made visible when the jump hole is made, the requestor can't post ahead of time, but they have to still write it. It sounds like the admin needs to have it in hand, spawn the JH, and then make the post visible.

So, how do we get the admin the post? Or, am I really off base?
[Image: 55787302.jpg]

(sun) (sun) (sun)
(10-26-2016, 04:34 PM)Yeggito Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome to see this take shape so quickly.

Another slight question: the line "A writeup to a roleplay post regarding the activation of the item. It may be a captain's entry, a transmission, a story - your choice. It will be posted with that person's account name in the apropriate section the moment the jumphole is spawned.".

So, the jumphole requestor writes the roleplay post and puts it...where? If the post is to be made visible when the jump hole is made, the requestor can't post ahead of time, but they have to still write it. It sounds like the admin needs to have it in hand, spawn the JH, and then make the post visible.

So, how do we get the admin the post? Or, am I really off base?

Quote:The person must PM or submit a player request with the following details.

1. Name of the ship with the parts onboard
2. Screenshot + timestamp of the location they wish to activate the event at. Example: http://i.imgur.com/8fcfzVm.png
3. A writeup to a roleplay post regarding the activation of the item. It may be a captain's entry, a transmission, a story - your choice. It will be posted with that person's account name in the apropriate section the moment the jumphole is spawned.

Pretty much that, really. The post will be uninvised/split off in a separate post once the JH is made.
Pages: 1 2