Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Notice: Temporary removal of the Setmsg command
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(10-28-2016, 05:51 PM)Syf Wrote: [ -> ]If you're having trouble with marking targets in group fights then maybe start using this;
[Image: 3dac688eed98e9ee6b7b76cfb7328522.png]

Granted, I'm not sure does that only work for the one whom originally started the group or the entirety of its members.
Just some food for thought, really.

That is possible, but only useful if you want all your ships to engage the same targets. If you want your bombers to focus a different enemy than your fighters, for instance, you would have to mark two targets, which gets much more confusing.
(10-28-2016, 05:11 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]I do NOT see why "/l1" , "/l2" for joining an ongoing engagement is a problem. That's where it is used for routinely, and where it causes zero harm.

Also, if you meet factions that you want to interact with "/l1, /l2, engage", these are situations in which you would very seldom get anything else. OC-IMG, Hessian-RM, Rogue-LN... run or fight. 90 % probability. Potential for "real" and meaningful roleplay: Minimal!

So, in reality the difference is, whether I get 2 readable, correct typing sentences pre-engagement... or 2 badly typed ones. Where das "engagibugn" come from? From bad typers hammering the phrase into local fast. I'd prefer a clean "/l1" "Powering up weapons, target lined up!" every single time.

Furthermore, you killed the "#t" and "#c" in /g1 like "Attack #t at #c", which was literally the only way to lead fights without TS. That's a massive (!) downside because these messages are paramount to direct those who do not have Teamspeak.

Anyway, a really unnecessary change that does not add anything (roleplay quality will not be influenced at all) and takes away the useful #t, #c.

Yeah! totally agree!! In my mining operation, i really need to use my "/setmsg 1 #t ship full" or "/setmsg 6 #t in queue for mining" due several ships around... and of course also the useful "/setmsg 9 Help! hostile #t engaging haulers at #c" because the mining operation may be in diferent sectors...

(in my personal situation, i also missing up so much "/setmsg 4 Helium miner #t is on duty! Contact #t for price! Sector #c") hehehehehehe. You know... for the new young miners.

I think the problem is not the command... it is just those players who dont leave enough time for response... (I dont understand why in rules removed "leave enough time for response")

Remember... there are too many tools for create hotkeys and drop messages... dont really need /setmsg for to use presets... only you will miss #t and #c variables... really helpful variables INTO roleplaying in several forms.
There is something else to think about. One of the reasons setmsg was originally asked for by the admin team was that there were people who were using 3rd party programs to do the same thing and it created a very unbalanced playing field between the vets and more tech savvy people, who had no problem using these kind of programs, that generally didn't set off the anti-cheat, and others who couldn't. People will find a way to use setmsg whether it is part of the game or not, at least this way the playing field is level.
To be fair setmessages are not the main problem.
It is rather people dont want to do more rp than the admins say is allowed before attacking.
Raise the minimum and you get people making up excuses that they dont want to write a book or sip tea as if that is the only rp that exists.
But I think the minimum should be raised. Perhaps if you still want a minimum of 2 lines then make it mandatory to have more "meat in the bone" before shooting.
(10-28-2016, 10:44 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]There is something else to think about. One of the reasons setmsg was originally asked for by the admin team was that there were people who were using 3rd party programs to do the same thing and it created a very unbalanced playing field between the vets and more tech savvy people, who had no problem using these kind of programs, that generally didn't set off the anti-cheat, and others who couldn't. People will find a way to use setmsg whether it is part of the game or not, at least this way the playing field is level.

That's actually really interesting, and even though I could've figured it out if I thought about it, I didn't. Now that I am thinking about it, I have to wonder if people still care enough to go to that kind of length in Discovery's sunset years.
(10-29-2016, 11:04 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2016, 10:44 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]There is something else to think about. One of the reasons setmsg was originally asked for by the admin team was that there were people who were using 3rd party programs to do the same thing and it created a very unbalanced playing field between the vets and more tech savvy people, who had no problem using these kind of programs, that generally didn't set off the anti-cheat, and others who couldn't. People will find a way to use setmsg whether it is part of the game or not, at least this way the playing field is level.

That's actually really interesting, and even though I could've figured it out if I thought about it, I didn't. Now that I am thinking about it, I have to wonder if people still care enough to go to that kind of length in Discovery's sunset years.

It's not even a particularly excessive length to go to. It takes maybe ten, fifteen minutes to find and install an acceptable macro program, and maybe a minute for each hotkey. It's an order of magnitude more than it takes to do "/setmsg 1 engagabugn all red wut i cee wif mininal rp))", but when that's only ten seconds, it's not of that much consequence. If you're a slow typer and/or English isn't something you're quite as comfortable with as would be optimal and take twenty, thirty, even forty seconds to type an engagement notice, and you're a PvP-heavy player, it's well worth the 20 minutes to set up some macros compared to how much time it'll save you.
(10-29-2016, 12:30 PM)Petitioner Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2016, 11:04 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]

It's not even a particularly excessive length to go to. It takes maybe ten, fifteen minutes to find and install an acceptable macro program, and maybe a minute for each hotkey. It's an order of magnitude more than it takes to do "/setmsg 1 engagabugn all red wut i cee wif mininal rp))", but when that's only ten seconds, it's not of that much consequence. If you're a slow typer and/or English isn't something you're quite as comfortable with as would be optimal and take twenty, thirty, even forty seconds to type an engagement notice, and you're a PvP-heavy player, it's well worth the 20 minutes to set up some macros compared to how much time it'll save you.

Right, but if we know that is what people are going to do, why take out the in-game functionality that does the same thing?
(10-29-2016, 12:39 PM)Zelot Wrote: [ -> ]Right, but if we know that is what people are going to do, why take out the in-game functionality that does the same thing?
The original post explained, in more diplomatic terms, that the admin team basically took it out to shut people up who were whining about the function, by demonstrating that whether /setmsg exists ingame or not, it doesn't particularly affect the quality of roleplay. It has nothing to do with whether people will use external macros or not.
I never did use setmsg or macros. I've always been a fast typer. I was a lucky one in the early years of disco before flhook commands existed. I could almost keep up with macro users and also gained the skill to type rp lines mid battle (unless facing an ace). Many weren't so lucky. On the flip side many couldn't keep up to me without macros and later setmsg, let alone keep up with those who used macros. /setmsg is something of an equalizer since it's in the game and available to all.

Exactly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14