Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reworking the CR shipline!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had some time and decided to do something about the current CR shipline.

I started with a redesign of the Nyx VHF and came up with something I am fairly proud of.

the model is finished, needs maybe a bit improvement on the textures, needs a hitbox (something I still don't get how that work...)
hardpoints and a new ini since it's not only a redesign but a fully reworked fighter.

Nyx Mk.II

Edit: adding a P3D model directly doesn't seem to work somehow...
The current CR shipline is excellent, and while a few of the models could do with remapping or a bit more detail work, the designs are solid and not something that I'm open to seeing changed.
(10-28-2016, 06:39 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]The current CR shipline is excellent, and while a few of the models could do with remapping or a bit more detail work, the designs are solid and not something that I'm open to seeing changed.

I understand Hellfire is new to discovery or to the game it self, he is doing well with learning to create, build design new ships for factions. Hellfire has a very large interest in CR| and I appreciate the work he is putting in. But I do have to agree with Durandal on this one buddy. The CR ship line is amazing, I love the looks on them all minus the Eros, which is hideous. Apart from that and a few extra details that could be added, the CR ship line looks the part and I am happy with them, maybe a few balance stats here and there but we will see what the Dev's and Admin's have done when the Hot Patch comes out wont we.
and , if Hellfire wanted to work on some ships in his spare time to get better at modeling, where could he put his efforts, if CR is, as you said, pretty much excellent?

His work on cockpits is good, as well as this drive, so, perhaps he can work on something else?
It's not about doing something for other factions. I invest a lot of time for CR, I am not a fan of playing in a lot of factions at the same time.

And if we look at it from an inRP pov, It's logic that a military force is constantly looking to improve not only their skills but also working on better weapons, ships and other technical improvements.

Yes, Doom did a good job on the CR ships, but imho, the designs are a bit oldish and too square for ships that fly through space in the far future.

But okay, I get it. no new ships for CR.
Hello! I'm also a big fan of CR. Not the official faction but the story itself. While I do agree with the Durandal and Shaggy, I'd like to give you some ideas and input on your model. I encourage you to keep working on 3d models because this mod relies on modelers to progress.

Now, about Nyx Mk. II: It has round shapes. The square and yet aerodynamic aspect of the Nyx is the trademark of the Colonial ships.

Idea #1: Your model looks promising. So, why not, start role playing a private ship builder with roots in colonial military designs? That way, you could launch a new line of ships, available to civilian market.
Idea #2: If you really want to improve the Nyx, try with very small modifications. Add a small spoiler somewhere, a fin there, a bigger cockpit, a smaller cockpit, stuff like that. Those have the potential to make the ships look better while keeping their general aspect.
Well i think with a bit texture work that could fit in CR shipline as 2nd (or 3rd from where you look at it) generation Heavy Fighter as CR has a shipline gap there and freighters. Shape somehow fits IMO.

And hey you all know i have a big love for CR Smile)

Ah also, i can do hardpoint hitbox and new inis for it if needed ^^
(10-28-2016, 07:32 PM)Mao Wrote: [ -> ]Idea #1: Your model looks promising. So, why not, start role playing a private ship builder with roots in colonial military designs? That way, you could launch a new line of ships, available to civilian market.

I second the idea to RP out a new civilian fighter of Colonial origin. The model itself looks pretty solid, I would love to see it in game and fly it.
The polycount is very high, reduce it please.
(10-28-2016, 06:22 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: [ -> ]the model is finished, needs maybe a bit improvement on the textures, needs a hitbox (something I still don't get how that work...)
hardpoints and a new ini since it's not only a redesign but a fully reworked fighter.

Same thing I'd like to add as for the other thread, lots of overlaping faces, lots of faces that are unneded as they could be turned into one single face extremely reducing poly count, while keeping the look , the cockpit glass could use some smoothing as it's way too blocky , but the general idea is pretty good.

I won't argue if CR need new ships or not, cause I don't mind at all, only wish to help improve quality and make the mesh acceptable Smile