Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Are ID's INRP or OORP Please Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So this has come up over a recent discussion on skype with a few people, having a chat about ID's and Affliations and how they represent certain things within the mod and game.

First of let's talk about the affiliation alot of people will see these as roleplay and what faction you are representing, so say you was a Liberty Navy you would have an IFF of Liberty Navy and so on, but there is a rule that states this;

4.4 Every char must have only one type of ID equipped and they must play to that ID. In cases where these restrictions and allowances conflict with the server rules, the ID overrides the rules

Now with that in mind, if you look at this, it does not say anything about your affiliation so you could have a Liberty Navy ID and a Freelancer IFF and it would be perfectly fine. So with that in mind, I made a thread recently about discussing official factions flying untagged ships with their respected official ID. This was approved and this is allowed however. What I am trying to discuss and find the answer for to make it clear is.

Are ID's seen as inrp or oorp?

My answer is No, because all the ID is doing is showing you your restrictions while playing that character and that respected role, what systems you are allowed to engage in and do your job, but it also tells you what ships you can and cannot fly. Now alot of people use ID's as a form of INRP, but let's talk about Wilds for a moment.

Some people fly them to be hidden and more human than infected to try hide there infection, but straight away people say "Oh he has Wild ID Kill him" with really bad roleplay which alot of people will agree with me.

There has been discussion about the Wild IFF being Unknown but this was changed from Wild to Unknown to give them hopes of being able to get that roleplay.

So again my question is what are peoples thoughts on using ID's as an inrp thing or is it an OORP thing to give you your restrictions, what you can and can't do while flying that character with that respected ID.

Please discussion.
I agree with this. In the case of wild players, the ID should be kept
Oorp to avoid bad roleplay
But you can't have One or Two ID's that are seen OORP while every other ID in the game seen inRP. There is a saying I just said it in skype..

One for all, or all for none.

Now people are saying that ID's are inrp but let's discuss it and get more than one Green to decide.
Afraid IDs are inRP, and that was an admin decision

There was a discussion a while back about making ID's ooRP. I think it lasted/was implemented for a day, before the admin decision was made to change them back to an inRP thing. You'll have to do some digging to find the discussion, it was a while ago now, but it was decided by the greens
IDs are visible inRP as stated by admins and valid inRP identification mark. There was short trial period when they were not, but it caused many issues ingame and lot of troubles for roleplay so it was reversed back.
To my awareness, IDs were ruled as an inRP item, with the exception of the Wild ID, which isn't a valid way of confirming whether someone is truly infected / part of the infected faction or not.

Sadly barely anyone knows that exception...
(11-10-2016, 01:56 PM)Ramke Wrote: [ -> ]To my awareness, IDs were ruled as an inRP item, with the exception of the Wild ID, which isn't a valid way of confirming whether someone is truly infected / part of the infected faction or not.

Sadly barely anyone knows that exception...
As far as I know this was not stated by admins as official exception, it is just part of RP etiquette to pretend you don´t see the ID, but formally it is not against rules to see it and act upon it. Of course it would be nice if people wouldn´t do "Hurr durr Wilde here, attack it!" instant reactions.
Although the ID itself is ooRP because if you look at the description it clearly says strictly ooRP things (apart from the intro description) and text related to rules, restrictions, etc., while if you press F8 and check your IFF it explains the faction inRP, people treat IDs inRP as well. Wild ID is kind of an exemption to this because that's currently the only way they can roleplay without immediately being screamed on "WILDE IN SYSTEM" (although people do that most of the time anyways, there's no rule saying you can't do it). I'm not a fan of it and would like to see something different.

My proposal would be to make Wild ID inRP as well, if we're going down that line, but make them have no rephacks so they can choose IFF freely. Their ID already limits them from docking on any bases except Nomad and Wild ones, and if someone would try to be smart and dock somewhere else, the ship would get instantly deleted. Obviously the NPCs would stop shooting them, but is that really relevant, or a major thing at all? If anything, it makes blending in even better, and it'd open the Wild ID to have better chance to conduct the roleplay while getting it in line with all other IDs, instead of being a special snowflake. Once you get into the scanner range and see a Wild ID, you could if you wanted to say "yeah he's infected", but it's usually too late when that happens and you're basically caught.

On another note, we could just treat all IDs to be ooRP. We already have IFF inRP, and the ID itself already explains mostly ooRP related stuff. A simple restriction such as "Your IFF must match your ID" (if possible) would suffice to not make it too abusable with the Freelancer IFF. Or as an alternative, simply rephack the Freelancer IFF to never go above 0.6 on any non-generic ID making it physically impossible to have a Freelancer IFF on those ships, but it opens possibilities of having other friendly IFFs (IMG ship with ALG IFF for example).
(11-10-2016, 01:52 PM)AlphaWolf215 Wrote: [ -> ]Afraid IDs are inRP, and that was an admin decision

There was a discussion a while back about making ID's ooRP. I think it lasted/was implemented for a day, before the admin decision was made to change them back to an inRP thing. You'll have to do some digging to find the discussion, it was a while ago now, but it was decided by the greens

Yes there are always discussions going on, but with the rule changes made recently the rule about ID's and Affiliations have changed and things have been made that little bit harder for Wild players to enjoy their interactions now, and Wilds are always being bought up into discussion no matter what it is about.

Let me make an example of something.

First interaction a Civilian (Freelancer ID) spots a ship with an Unknown Transponder (IFF) that has full civilian weapons, uh let's say an Eagle with Debs and Flashpoints and Enhanced Thruster with Champion shield but has the Wild ID. This Freelancer scans the ship to see everything is normal but that one thing the Wild ID. Next minute he screams Wild we have a Wild here in the system and gives a location, then this Wild character has to run from a fleet of Liberty Navy over one small thing.

But the way I see it to keep things non bias and so on, you can't just say Wild ID's are NOT INRP but every other ID is. Especially considering why would you need two things to tell you you are flying for a specific faction.

All factions apart from Freelancer ID and have there own Affiliation. Liberty Navy has a ID and IFF. Bretonian Armed Forces have their own IF and IFF. Why would they need 2 things inrp to tell them they are flying for that faction? It does not make sense.

But if you look at the ID itself ingame, it tells you a little bit of history about that faction, and then it tells you what you can and can't do to keep you inrp and without going out of your Zone of Influence and just start shooting things. Like a Liberty Police IFF and ID ship going to Gallia and say you are hauling contraband stop now or be fined 5 million or something. That is oorp. Not only this if ID's are seen OORP then being Metagamed will be that one step harder to do and it will be clearer to spot and find the people meta gaming.

One interaction as a "Human" to the next ever interaction being "You are infected you must die" just because of ID and some equipment. But Intelligence Agency's like Core, Order, LSF, BIS, KNI, ONI and so on use Adapted Nomad Weapons and inrp could be learning something about new equipment like a Counter measure or cruise disruptor or something along those lines.

I am not a new player, I have been playing this game for nearly 9 years now and it is still unclear to me and how people who have been playing this game less time than me saying they are InRP is beyond me.

So let's keep the discussion going and let's try make it fun for Nomad and Wild players to enjoy there roleplay as well as Intelligence Service factions again like LSF, BIS, Core and Order and so on.
Why IDs would be inrp if we have IFF system? This double identification is not making sense. Besides, if IDs are inRP item, why do they have ooRP lines in their infocards?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5