Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Outcast "Ranseur" D5-2A Dreadnought Revision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everyone who has seen it probably fell in love with it, only until it showed it's rear. Many people (me included) are not happy with the current looks of its engine. So it's finally time I lay my dirty hands on this incredibly beautiful and a masterpiece of a ship. I will make different versions of the engine whenever I can. You can comment on them, post your ideas, tips, thoughts etc. In the end when all versions are done, I will make a poll where you can vote on the best looking engine for a final.

Model A - Quad-engines - https://p3d.in/U8qdS

Model B - Classic engine - https://p3d.in/BfPiU
Note: If everyone is okay with this one, I plan to make the lid (the diagonally alligned things) rotate in-game.
Yo barb, nice work on the Ranseur, but what I am really drooling about are the LH fighters in your gallery. Works of art....
(11-18-2016, 08:26 PM)eigos Wrote: [ -> ]Yo barb, nice work on the Ranseur, but what I am really drooling about are the LH fighters in your gallery. Works of art....

They couldn't defeat their competitor (Swallows LH bomber) so they are going to be recycled into something else unfortunetaly, but thanks anyways Big Grin
Makes it look somewhat short, as if its back is missing something. There's also a lot of shape repetition, but I guess that's okay for serially manufactured engines. Much prettier than what we currently have, though.
Would prefer the old engine with the new effects to be honest- the quad-stacked engine just doesn't look that great within the cowling of the Ranseur.

As one of the largest opponents of the Ranseur's rear-end, honestly this isn't much of an improvement aesthetics wise. It may sorta-fit the quad-design of the front but to me it just looks awful.

I'd advise you take a look at the Taiidani destroyer's engine stack or the thruster battery at the end of the Vaygr Battlecruiser of the Homeworld franchise if you want some better inspirations for engine designs- both of which are semi-departures from the engine patterns of their respective empires, and both of which look amazing on their own.
I was actually thinking about making a better single-engine one. I'd like to see what you and others think about it. I really cant live with the current one.
Single engine would definitely be the best choice here. The quad engine just doesn't fit on Ranseur.
Barb, try a single engine with another smaller cowl between it and the bigger one!
As an additional idea, I suggest making a cross-like support structure around the round engine, which you could mold into a set of fins (either to the side, or wherever you see it fit).

When that's done, all that's left will be to do a large effect for it with the ALE's and in the end we will have a great Ranseur!
I'm honestly most looking forward to a Ranseur with proper smoothing. The current one has smoothgroups on some extremely hard angles (on the prongs for example) which just looks god awful.

Don't need to say anything else about the engines, and covered it nicely.
Here's an idea: keep the cowling roughly the same size- but keep it enclosed much like the Liberty Dread's engine assembly

then, in the enclosed center section with a "straw" running through the interior, wrap a spinning section like that of the HFBC around the center "straw"- minute and concealed enough so that it can only be viewed through gaps in the armor plating, but fancy-looking enough to imply the powerful and unique powercore technology of the Outcasts (Outcast destroyers rely on a contained microsingularity for their powerplant, which has a direct impact on how the drive systems work. This is implied to be a new technology working its way into the rest of the Maltese line)

Dunno how much modeling wizardry that would require: I'm still very- very new to modeling myself and haven't gotten far in any of the tutorials I've watched due to timeconstraints, but I've been told moving sections aren't difficult
Pages: 1 2