Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Battleship Turret Placements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As we all know, battleships are large. As most of us know, the crosshair is calculated from the ship centre. Since battleships are large, some of their turrets will be quite off the centre, for example by a few hundred meters, which will cause a few hundred meters of an aiming error. If you aren't shooting at a ship that is about a kilometer long, this is a problem.

I think that secondary turret slots of all battleships should be reviewed, and placed closer to the centre. Secondaries are used to target bombers and gunboats, so they need to have less of an error to be more than ornamentation. Opinions?
I agree with this, best example beeing the difference beteween a Lib Dread and a Bismark. The Liberty Dread has not exactly many secondaries, but quite centered. It can defend itself from snubs alright given the low turret count.
The Bismark got much more secondaries, but not that much more damage output on bombers, because of the issue brought up here. You fire a lot of shots somewhere in the void with no way to correct that issue.
Personally I've always wanted to just massively cut down on the number of turrets on caps. They cause unnecessary lag, and there's really nothing more "epic" about a spam of projectiles from two dozen turrets, compared to say half a dozen beefy turrets scattered across the hull.

It'd be much easier to place one or two secondary turrets (that'd obviously be made much stronger to compensate for the reduced count) near the center of the ship and put heavier turrets further away. Doing so with the 22 turrets of neutrality we currently have is much more difficult.
If such is ever done, there might be a problem with flaks. A battleship needs at least 2 to cover 360° around itself, and if it has 4 secondaries in total, this will cut down the performance greatly. If such is ever done, flaks should either be buffed, or there should be special slots for flaks. That will also prevent the usage of the full flak troll armament that kills more friendlies than hostiles.
That'd be the idea, thunderer. All secondaries would be significantly improved to compensate having only one or two of them.

It'd make equipping a BS more interesting if done correctly, and if there were various types of secondaries you could choose from but only two or three slots to fit them in.

I'd personally make this change as part of a larger "broadside battleships" thing, though, since when you start redistributing turrets for capitals you might as well make more ambitious changes.
I'm for what Haste and Thunderer are speaking about.

Best regards,

NPC
well there goes like seventeen lines of reasons why this is kinda silly imo

but how about...upgrade ya comps a tad if you speak of frame lag cmon 2003 game guys...(this is not the actual argument)
as well as...gallic secondaries for instance,just stop having so much detail and flashy effects in the weapons,bret secondaries are just blue bolts with a small outer effect
gallic ones are like weird thunder bolts

but to move the secondaries or reduce the amount and to compensate for the loss...
its pretty much primaries with the speed and refire of a secondary,also power wise how would you balance this? a kirk might need more power to balance then the bret carrier but if they used the same the bret carrier would be terrible as now it lacks firepower for its size as the new secondaries would only compensate for the kirk,not the carrier,if vice versa then the kirk is now op at snub killing

same goes for the elbe and the bismarck (rheinland medium carrier and heavy battleship
same goes for the atlantis and the overlord (liberty heavy carrier and medium battleship)
Sarrisa and ransuer might work...i think im not so sure ive never flown those
but you get the idea,to balance such would be extreamly hard without mass remodeling to center them properly and without having to make more unnecessary weapon types

also the frame lag thing if its common then just reduce the detail in weapons like gallic secondaries and other effect heavy bolts/lasers what ever
and to move them closer to the center,for a bismark it would place them inside the model making them impossible to disarm removing a nice feature imo as well as i dont want to see more lasers clipping through my ships than i have to.

*awaits to wake up to regret for commenting whilst tired*
Actually This is not a big problem if your battleship have more than 15 secondary turret

I suggest;

Give 4 Secondary Turret for Light Battleships, 5 for Medium Battleships, 6 for Heavy Battleships to the center of the ship
Also less laggy battles like that
Guys... there is no Lag on the servers... its your crappy PC's. And im not being an arse here but its just the truth... As a person who mainly fly caps i agree with thunderer on most points he has risen.

Quote:I think that secondary turret slots of all battleships should be reviewed, and placed closer to the centre. Secondaries are used to target bombers and gunboats, so they need to have less of an error to be more than ornamentation.

This is a must. Its extremely hard to hit anything with secondaries... and if they do manage to hit the damage was pathetic.