Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Operator's Remodelling Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I finally decided to make this one. To be blunt, I don't actually make any new models, I mostly edit the existing ones in a way that I want to see them and I share them here.

Link to p3d.in

Link to p3d.in

Link to p3d.in

Currently, I'm working on the new project.

This thread is free for any kind of feedback, suggestions or REmodelling requests. However, try to stay on topic and avoid any conflicts.
Both look nice but animated wings, like on the Wraith would be awsome.
that kingfisher looks too close to an X-Wing, but overall looks nice
(01-01-2017, 06:54 PM)Neraxon Wrote: [ -> ]Both look nice but animated wings, like on the Wraith would be awsome.

it's meant to have them, yes

(01-01-2017, 07:00 PM)James.HELLFIRE.Rascal Wrote: [ -> ]that kingfisher looks too close to an X-Wing, but overall looks nice

the original Kingfisher model is an actual Homeworld import. one of Kadeshian ships. can't name the exact one.

Model Update: Fixed the verticies on four engines, wings and a pilot cabin, time to to get my hands on the main hull
(01-01-2017, 07:28 PM)Operator Wrote: [ -> ]the original Kingfisher model is an actual Homeworld import. one of Kadeshian ships. can't name the exact one.

Eh?

[Image: Kadesh_HF.jpg]
The Kadesh heavy fighter. It doesn't seem the Kingfisher to me. Maybe you're talking to another version....
(12-25-2016, 09:24 PM)Erzie Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, here to give you some tips and tricks and hopefully help you improve.

So, lets get started:

1. Whenever you're looking at your model in a program, (in this case I used p3d itself) If you turn on smoothing or subdivisions, it's a quick way to check your vertices for doubles or floating verts. These will appear as spikes flying inward or outward from your model, seen in the first image. It's quite easy to fix these issues by merging double vertices, or deleting disconnected ones. Most programs these days have a clean-up option, to allow for these errors to automatically deleted or fixed, but in some cases they don't, so it's important to recognize how to fix it manually.

2. Your UV mapping is extremely important to manage, the lower two images clearly show that both the UV scale (size of squares) and unwrapping (how the squares stretch, well, lack thereof). It's super important to unwrap your components to be as flat as possible. Think of it like making a pattern out of paper or cloth, you want it to be as relaxed as possible. Unwrapping cylinders properly will give you a shape that is a rectangle with circular end-caps, usually in two separate pieces.

3. Polygon detail and efficiency. Where is it? It's quite common to have faces you don't actually need because they don't add detail. 5-gons or N-gons (polygon subdivisions that share more than 4 vertices) are the bane of UV unwrapping, and poly count. Regardless if your faces count is low, these "N-gons" will be triangulated regardless. To be efficient, you will need to manually add edges to bridge these areas, and it's beneficial to add detail where these bridges are required. For instance, if you subdivide a cube to have 4 faces on the front, you will need 4 faces on all sides to maintain your clean quads, however, if you fail to add detail, those polygons are wasted. You may as well remove the subdivision, and save the extra 6 polygons per side (2 tris per subdivision).

4. NORMALS!!! OKAY! This is one my personal peeves as I've fought this issue on my own for hours. So, an object in a modeling or rendering program has a property called "normals" per face. It has the inside normal, and the outside. The outside normal is what is drawn, and what contains the texture property, and the inside normal is, by default, no-draw or void. Even in p3d, you'll see; well, wont see, these faces. They will be automatically hidden. Modeling software, no matter what you use will have a recalculate normal/reverse normals tool. This is literally essential, so unless you're using a modeling program from 1990, you'll have something along those lines. (Autodesk 1983 introduced this tool as standard, as wire-framing was no longer the limit of 3 dimensional design) You can usually materialize your normals to see them as a different shade, but if not, simply upload the model to p3d and look for holes.

Those are some of the most important things I've come up with, other than that, I'd focus your content on what you can imagine and bridge it to what already exists. Take your time doing UV, stretching textures takes a lot away from your detail. Here's my most recent model for reference.

Figured I'd forward the same information, as similar mistakes are being made... Floating vertices and duplicates will cause the freelancer engine to crash. Otherwise, stylistically, I like the changes to the siege cruiser's tail end, not a fan of the change to the rings, but the rest of the cannon looks good. As for the X-wing, obvious inspiration, but that's not always a bad thing. However, model is decent, theme does not really fit.
I really do not like the "duck"-theme of the IMG shipline, namely: Annapurna and Nanga Parbat. Is it too much for you as a "changer, not a new-modelmaker"?

The Shishapangma transport overall is a good ship in handling (it is meant to operate in rocks, etc), however it could be a litte more.... fancy model? It looks "low detail", pretty sure you see what I mean there when you look at it.
Kek, I want to fly this kingfisher :c Ask Durandal or someone to make those wings moveable and I'm in heaven.

Speaking about LSC, is it's current FWG engines in your model, while engines got turned to twin-linked forward guns, or it's just my feeling?
(01-01-2017, 07:52 PM)Erzie Wrote: [ -> ]Figured I'd forward the same information, as similar mistakes are being made... Floating vertices and duplicates will cause the freelancer engine to crash.

yeah, i'm trying to fix that, and as seen with the Cabin, it almost worked
What program are you using to model? It should have a cleanup option, which could save you a lot of time. If not, you could send me the model and I'd gladly clean it up for you. Well, the siege cruiser that is... I dont wanna touch that X-wing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4