Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: HELP Server Access issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what is going on with my network setup at home.

I am TRYING! to run a Server from home. so i can play around and access it from work.

When i am using the Virgin media hub 2.5 in router mode i cannot find my game server on the LAN. But appears within the games Internet option. BUT i still cannot connect the game reports ???? as a ping. Externally the server shows but again with ???? as a ping and doesnt connect.

If i place my Hub into Modem mode and use my spare Netgear Router i can find my server, it shows a ping, allows external access and via the LAN and WAN i can connect. (no setup was needed).
i don't like this solution as it limits my LAN down to 100Mb (it should be 1Gb) but also the wireless range is weaker.

The network layout is
In Router Mode
PC > Switch > Switch > Virgin Hub
In Modem Mode
PC> Switch > Switch> Netgear Router > Virgin Hub

I have tried the following when using the Virgin media hub in router mode but no success

Allowed for port forwarding for the machine in question

Placing PC with Server into the DMZ

Removed the Hubs Firewall

I've been onto the support with no help (other than a new hub to fix a wifi servicing issue)
a Friend who is also with Virgin media and a similar network setup can find a server on their LAN and i can even connect externally.

Any suggestions of a fix would be perfect i'm out of ideas

Thanks