Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dideldumdidei!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So this is meeeee!

I just rediscovered Discovery (that was not intentional and it did make me chuckle - which is probably all you need to know about me...) after I tried it out for a couple of hours some years ago and quit in frustration after being shot down repeatedly by pirates and or for crimes I didn't know I commited.

This time I know that what I'm doing is illegal. Try to stop me!

By know I made some millions by trading - but actually I would like to know some relations: How much is a lot of money? I have like 40 million or something - what should I do with it?

Also: What is a strong ship? What are good weapons? As stated, I am more the trader/smuggler but everytime I did try and buy a fighter (bought this fine super heavy fighter of the Zoners...) and tried some missions I was shot down like a fly. What's the deal with that? Should I save up for a freaking battleship to be the killing machine I crave to be?

Also: As a few of you may have noticed by my less then perfect english I am German and I've noticed a lot of German names ingame - just wondering if that is a choice of fashion or the Germans have taken over Sirius?

Also: For someone of my questionable moral and sanity - what would be a faction of fun, crazy people that basically do a little bit of both?

Hmmm... this turned out to be more of a Questiontable then an introduction. I like steaks and chocolate milk. That's better.
Welcome back.

I'd suggest to earn like 200 millions and buy a decent 5ker with some corporated ID. It will make the trading a bit faster and the ship will be your constant source of income. Then you can start buying fighters(~30mil for fully equiped one), bombers(~ 50m for fully eq) and capital ships starting from gunboats (~ 260mil for one with capital armor upgrade mk6 - actually one of the most common and decent for money one), cruisers would be ~450m for cap6'd one and battleships which are about 800million for cap6'd one. Then you can kick your cap6s and replace them with cap8's which cost ~900 million itself. A good addition for capital ships is also a battleship scanner worth 250 million itself. It is kinda mandatory for cruisers and above.

Speaking about missions, you need to be skilled in each type of craft to do them properly and profitable.

I'm using some german named ships, because I'm leading Schwermetall Handel, which is Rheinland oriented trading and mining faction. We also have some german (well most of us are actually German xD) players actually, but german names might not mean that players flying them are actually Germans. O, also I'm not German Tongue

Speaking about factions... Depends on what you like the most.There are actually pretty much 3 types of factions. 1st which focuses pretty much on PvP and some RP, 2nd which focuses on trading and RP and 3rd which focuses mainly on RP with mixed things (I'd say zoners as they are neutral and can't really pvp)

Speaking about your english skills... Some basic knowledge is mandatory for playing, but don't be afraid. You'll learn more words while actually playing. All's about going deeper and deeper Tongue

Feel free to ask more questions.
1.000.000.000 is much money.

A full equipped battleship, with Capital Hull Armor Upgrade 8, Battleship Scanners, Cloaking Device, a full weapon loadout and maybe docking modules is worth between 2.000.000.000 and 3.000.000.000 credits.

The ships of Discovery are all good, depending on what you want to do. They are very balanced, some more, some less, but it's not like we have a League of Legends-esque meta on ships. Every little ship has their little aspects. The same about weapons, however, Codename weapons are the top tier of weapons, still. The Osprey MKII you bought, from the Zoners, who are peaceful explorers and isolationists in the Edge Worlds, are not focused on fighting, and the Super Heavy Fighter is way bigger than more combat-focused ships, like the Core snub ship line for example, or the Eagle with it's hard-to-hit shape from certain angles.

Battleships are nice, but they come with responsibility. They are also pretty much the worst ship class in aspects of features. They hardly can fights an army of snubs, while one snub is enough to be a pain in the ass for the battleship, as they can CD, fire torpedos and all that. A group of three snubs can even bring down a battleship if they are good. With bombers even faster.

People from all over the world are playing Discovery, including germans, however, not everything that sounds german ingame is german outgame, as a lot of ships are simply based on Rheinland lore. After all, this is a roleplay server, so we expect roleplay from everyone, which contains we expect Rheinländer to use rheinländische names. Similar to that, Corsairs and Maltese will use hispanic names, Kusarians kusarian names and all that. And the Gallics will fly around as honhonhon baguettes. The server language however is english, and we expect everyone to communicate in english, however it can be influenced by the houses origin language. You will find people in or from Rheinland using german phrases like "Guten Tag" or "Jawohl, Herr Hauptmann!", but people will mostly use english in sentences, as they are required to do.

You may want to look at all the different factions, their lore, their operational space, their assets and the activity of their player base. While I don't suggest you to begin your mod experience by joining a faction and rather just fly around with their "indie" IDs - those you can buy to play a faction character without being part of the official player faction - you will learn how to act like a inRP faction member looking at the ID rules.

If you didn't yet, please make yourself aware of the current server rules, both for forum and ingame. You find the link in the very top of your forum page.

And feel free to ask questions here whenever you wish.
O, if you're interested in joining some Rheinland player factions I'd suggest, for example, those boys. They're actually working hard to Make Rheinland Great Again, creating activity, doing pews with Corsairs and Hessians. From what I know, they also have some Germans onboard, so it could be a bit easier for you to start, I guess. They're cool boys to talk and fly along Wink if you're interested, give this thread a thought and fill the form. Make sure to write at least 10 sentences of roleplay biography, cuz biographies are coolz.

EDIT: From my current informations, they no longer exist. You may try applying for [RM] officials instead. Nothing stops you from joining factions

Choosing a trading faction, I can suggest our Schwermetall Handel (shameless advertising), as I said we've got some Germans onboard and we're mainly focused on trading and mining, what could help you to earn some money and start on the server. If interested, fill the form over there.

Or you can actually support some Rheinland official factions, lets say DHC- in terms of trading. They may need some additional player base.

Aaaand as a sidenote: It's better to RP with the pirate and pay him instead of trying to cheat or run Tongue

And what's the most important, don't let the others to demotivate you and discourage from playing. Treat other players with respect and how you would be like to be treatened. Mostly if you're cool, others will be cool too.
Well that's the thing, I was Rping, trying to negotiate. Trouble was, he wanted more then I even had and then shot me down. Was not a fun experience. But well - this time I know better and run away whenever I see someone approaching Big Grin
Anyways - thanks for the answers. I'm slowly but steadily getting to 100 million with my little freighter, afterwards I might buy this 5k-Train thing and hopefully get in the big bucks. Actually on that note: Big ships can't land everywhere is that right?
I guess I'll look into these Lore-posts.
Oh, another thing: I sometimes get Server-messages about some warzone... how is that working? Do these wars actually accomplish anything? For example is there gonna be a fight in the Leeds system? It appears to be occupied by the wrong nation...
It's good to keep at least 10 or 20 million onboard your trading vessel all the time. Some pirates might be cool, but there are also some greedy ones who will demand 7 million for nothing-worth cargo or 15m for ore Smile

Also: Big ships can land everywhere. Just when attempting to dock on a planet, use the pooring fixture (stick above docking ring) instead of Docking Ring.

Speaking about Leeds, it's currently being occupied by the Gallic Royal Navy. Some pews tend to happen, but Gauls are rather inactive, nor the Liberty/Bretonia side always can log. Sometimes I had to wait 2 hours on my valor before something has finally arrived. If you're looking for some events, keep an aye on forums, as tends to make them from time to time. There are also some events backed with RP, which are being organised by certain factions, like for example, the current Tau-44 brawling organised by Crayter Republic, Council and Gauls, which are being shot.
Quote:Big ships can't land everywhere is that right?

Ingame, use the mooring fixture to land big ships. I guess you figured that out already.

Big ships however come with a certain roleplay responsibility. Each house and each faction has it's own set of laws. Most factions treat foreign capital ships as a no-no in ther space. You should generally try to stay in your own ZoI, especially when your ID states that you can't leave the ZoI. For example, the Core indie ID doesn't allow leaving the ZoI, while their official ID allows it, however it's regulated by the player faction.

If you want to roam around in a bigger ship that is mostly tolerated everywhere, get either a gunboat like the http://discoverygc.com/wiki/CTE-12400_"Condor"_Civilian_Gunboat, the http://discoverygc.com/wiki/Series_Z_"Montante"_Border_Worlds_Gunship or the http://discoverygc.com/wiki/T-833-GB_"Ahoudori"_Kusari_Explorer or take the wonderful http://discoverygc.com/wiki/"Corvo"_Zoner_Deep_Space_Explorer, which has less offensive capabilities but better defensive stats, like a cruiser shield and the ability to use a battleship cloaking device (15 minutes of consecutive cloaks!). If that is not enough, there is the Bustard - it doesn't look like the ship on the picture there - as the Bustard is a "civilian" carrier that is at least allowed in Liberty and Bretonia.

If you take a faction-specific warship, you would need to act like you are a battleship captain of that faction. Less freedom, much responsibility.

Leeds is a war zone, as Gallia managed to get it's footing on there. Bretonia and Gallia are at war, and Liberty is allied with Bretonia, so they are involved as well, just as the Crayterians are. So it's not are rare sight of Liberty, Bretonia and Crayter fighting against Gallia like shown in this video:

15m51s

or this in New London

17m10s

Accomplishments are mixed, though. They either are a response of what the playerbase achieves and roleplays or are prescripted/predestinated to happen by the Story Developing Team. They don't necessarily work together, sadly.

EDIT: HOLY HELL, WHY ARE THE WIKI LINKS BORKED.
*obligatory self-punt*

You could join Unioners.
Sooo, if the Unioners are that interesting a faction, Tanith - let's hear it! What's your deal and why would I snort my Cardamine in your group?
I've been wondering:
I have been playing on my computer for a couple of days. Now I wanna visit friends for a couple of days, I installed Discovery on my Laptop - can I somehow access my players from my computer?
Pages: 1 2