Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [!] Modelling Development in DGC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to address the Discovery Gaming Community about the current status of Model Development (ships, solars, anything in that category) and communicate with you some of my concerns, answer a few questions you might have and HOPEFULLY motivate some of you to become involved in it. If I can take the hours necessary to write all this, then do it some justice and read it as it deals with the future of this mod.

ABOUT THE MODELLING DEPARTMENT
You may (or may not) know this, but the Modelling Department runs on an extremely thin layer of staff, being second only to the Coding & FLHook division. Ever wonder why patches tend to rarely include new ships? This is why. Here is the reference thread for the Development Team Structure: ::LINK::

So, let's talk about how new content (models) makes its way into the mod. There are few ways for this, as follows:
::OPTION-A:: Devs like , and (who seems to be on a break) follow a shortlist (which is rather long) of models that need to be created, sorted by necessity: ::See List Here:: Mind you, these are just the most needed models on that list. There are a ton others that need replacements, both for quality's sake, for PvP balance's sake and for server stability's sake (there are many models that have 4x the amount of pollys than needed).

::OPTION-B:: Content submissions by fellow community members, like , , , also Robert (whose forum name I don't know) and others. They may or may not follow the above^ To-do List, some of them do, like for example. It is good to have content submissions from the community, but there are two very major conditions that need to be met:
1.) Quality - mesh, UV mapping and PvP balance have to come hand in hand in every submission;
2.) Finalization - the model has to be export-ready (mesh groups set, smoothing groups correct, pivot points for moving parts set).
Why do we need quality? Because everyone likes quality. It also helps us attract fresh new players and makes the server run smoother with optimized game assets.

::OPTION-C:: Approved imports or free-to-use models (like the Scorpion Gunboat as an example). This is something we want to move away from, for various reasons. We have no control over the models' quality (editing them would be a pain and also copyright infringement upon the original artist). Furthermore, we want to set an example as being a mod community that makes its own stuff on demand, as the Roleplay here progresses. After all, we are a creative bunch, are we not?

WHAT DO WE NEED?
We need help... lots of it. Currently, Justin is buried in so much work that it's actually almost demotivating when you look at the sheer volume of it. It CAN however be done very swiftly if we get more people involved. Here is a list of areas you could help us out with:
1.) Model Creation - goes without saying, content created from scratch.
2.) Finalization & Export Prep - we have 8 models currently that need various things fixed (smooth groups, badly done UV's, excessive groups & geometry) before we can put them into the game. If at least two people step in, it can all be finished within a week;
3.) Hitboxing - this is a relatively easy job, but it still demands attention and time, so help is appreciated!
4.) Hardpointing - also an easy job, just very very time consuming if done correctly. You don't have to have ANY modeling experience to do this!

OUR CURRENT GOALS
TL;DR, here is a list of what we are currently doing in the Combined Art Dev Section:
- more animated models - from cruise animations, hangar door animations, some gun animations - we are doing it;
- new FX - we are talking engines, weapons, thrusters, missiles... not gonna spoil the surprise;
- variety of balance and stability tweaks - which also have a lot to do with changing pre-existing class loadouts and mechanics.

FINAL WORDS & NOTES
If you want to step in and help out, but don't have the knowledge - we can train you! I, myself, am offering Skype Support and I am prepared to share ALL of my knowledge from modeling, all the way through getting it in-game and working.
Let us cut down on the memes, the flame wars, the drama and come together to co-create the most epic content that we can for our community! We all know how easy it is to demand content and wait for someone else to do it for us - it doesn't need to be this way! This is what demotivates our developers most and anybody else for that matter, who wants to contribute.

Last year, in July, was the first time I sat down to learn how to model, just so I could contribute to the mod and express my need for creativity. I spent months reading old tutorials, re-discovering things and dealing with weird issues that pop up when you do this kind of work. I am now offering you my knowledge, so you don't have to spend so much time and effort before you are able to create something. However, be prepared to put in the work required to learn how to use your 3D program of choice!

Keep in mind - many people who are experts on modeling for Freelancer are gone. , are a few good examples. might also not be here for long, as he is not playing the game since 2015 (and he will be moving on before or after he finishes his current ongoing models). That leaves primarily and as the remaining people with enough know-how to allow for new content creation. I think that about gives you the picture. Thanks for reading.
Well, I'm back. Will be continuing the learning process once I've got my RP and activity contributions squared away. I've got a few Unioner ships from LF to Cruiser to finish and another set of Gallic civ fighter line options.

I'm intrigued if the vertically launched mortar missiles you and Geoff developed are still in existence. I've an experiment I want to try.
(01-16-2017, 03:52 PM)Operator Wrote: [ -> ]http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=146676

(^:

I have seen the thread and I like what I saw. But please, finish them entirely and then submit them to us, preferably in Freelancer's native CMP format. I can teach you how to do it step by step, after you finish texturing. If you want to also learn hitboxing, I'd be happy to teach you that too!

Also, if you want to take it to the next level with animations on the models, here is what can be done:
- constant loop animations (like radar dishes rotating);
- cruise animation (anything from wings folding to what-have-you upon engaging cruise engines);
- bay door animation (upon ejecting cargo or docking ships inside);
- forward gun animation (the forward gun needs to be a separate model file that is the gun itself);

The animations require separate grouping on the movable meshes and are done after successful export to CMP in UTF Editor 3.0.0. I pretty much know the details and will share them.

Remember, guys, the best possible workflow is to have the original model artist do his project from start to finish, because it is his/her own work of art! If you submit something halfway finished and it has problems in its mesh or UVs or smooth groups (or any mesh groups in general) it will require someone from the dev team to actually spend way more time looking at and fixing stuff, which is further complicated by the different 3D programs & versions that are used.
Hye, I haven't been around for a long time, i didn't know things are so bad in the modding department. I tried modelling with limited success (a ship in game) and i think i can help a bit but i'll need help remembering all the software and techniques. Send me your skype id or add me scumbag.dsc
The man's a saint for posting this thread and making the offer, guys. Not a single thing said here is untrue, and if you're willing to learn then I suggest you take Eigos up on his generosity.
One of my two brain cells commited suicide when I tried to model something more than a cube in a modelling program. Sorry, I would have loved to give something back to this mod but unfortunately I can't in this field.
I got some models that only need a bit of refining on the textures, export to CMP, hitboxing and hardpointing.
And a bunch of ideas to remodel some stuff aswell (not only CR stuff, I promise xD)

Just throw me onto something and I'll come up with ideas, concepts and other nice things.

My latest model (yes, CR again but... hey, I love my faction Big Grin) is this:
https://p3d.in/Yij00
I'm interested in learning finalization & export prep, hitboxing, hardpointing, and FX, especially engine effects. My skype and discord profiles are listed on my profile. Come and teach me! I'm also happy to work/learn over Teamspeak or basically any other platform, but I absolutely, definitely, 100% learn best from a teacher rather than from tutorials.
i know how to hitbox and hardpoint but id like to learn how to model and texture as well, so if you would train me itd be nice
Pages: 1 2