Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Laptop GPU doesn't work with Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys,

I've been poking around in chats on and off regarding this issue and I've refrained from trying to create a thread for it since it's not too crippling, but this is getting rather frustrating when I'm trying to actually join events and whatnot.

Simply put, my new laptop absolutely refuses to start the GPU for Freelancer. It does so for every other game, everything works fine - except for this one game. It just launches with integrated graphics instead.

What I've tried so far is:
- Reinstalling the game/mod
- Looking and installing all sorts of drivers, everything is up to date and fine
- Making sure that the game is selected as "Use high-powered graphics processor" or something amongst those lines in the Nvidia control centre. I even went as far as to just make every program use it when possible, but this damn game still doesn't. I tried it on the launcher - still nothing.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Google doesn't have any answers. Sanja has the same issue as well.

Thanks!

p.s. Corile doesn't get to advertise Linux here
>Windows 10 Pro

God help you. It's pain in the head for every Freelancer gamer. I suggest you to try to switch back to Windows 7... Somehow... If it's still possible. I play with Win 10 and it's absolute pain, especially when Spazzy starts those NPC events.
I've heard that Win10 is to blame for laptop related stuff and discrete graphics. If it is possible, try booting from a Win7 drive (external or otherwise) and see if the system uses the discrete graphics while launching FL.
The issue with Windows 7 is that I was told by colleagues that it might not be able to support it due to having the newer gen processor, Kaby Lake?

I opted for 10 since I really wasn't sure, otherwise I'd have went for 7. If someone would dismiss that, then I'd definitely try just switching the OS.
Uh, your colleagues probably were thinking of something else. Windows 7 will work fine for the newest processors.
Or not, seems that both KL and Ryzen might be W10 only.
Kaby Lake is not supported on anything but Windows 10, period.
- Pulled from an article towards the 7th gen Intel processors.

Don't quote me on that, but I simply copied it off an article writing about it.

On the other hand compared to the actual problem itself... I haven't found any solution yet that at the very least you haven't tried yourself. I'll keep looking either way if I might find some.
try launching it in window mode and tells us if it worked Angel
(01-29-2017, 08:11 PM)Hannibal Wrote: [ -> ]try launching it in window mode and tells us if it worked Angel

Doesn't change a thing, unfortunately. Confused
Tried compatability mode?
(01-29-2017, 10:03 PM)Tunicle Wrote: [ -> ]Tried compatability mode?

Yes, I have.

I just double checked it with all the possible options, no luck.

Is there any chance it could be related to directx in some way? Should I try to find a really old version to install (if it even allows me to do that)?
Pages: 1 2 3