Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: EDUCATION SEMINARS; rule change proposal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Greetings gents and ladies,

With the reference to my positive experience from another gaming community, where I am an active member, I propose that we introduce:

Active schooling system and licensing for anyone who wants to fly larger warships or ships that have a significant impact to the gaming community. Let me write some reference points about this matter:

- Each fraction capital ship (or even a gunship) has its own license mounted in - similar as we use for a battleship license.
- This license can not be bought anywhere (or most of them can not be bought).
- However, it can be obtained or earned by active participation on the education seminar.
- No one may fly a capital ship without a license.
- If you break the rules of behavior, you may loose your license.
- If you loose your license, you must dock your ship until you get your license again.

Seminars.
- Must be held at regular intervals with the qualified instructors.
- Anyone may apply, but there is no guarantee that that person will pass the exam.
- We may use team-speak as a mean of communication.
- The candidates just show up at appointed hour on designated TS sit there and wait for the instructor.
- Before starting the course the candidates must pay the fee to a specific account instructors account (fees may vary with the situation)
- Paying the fee does not guarantee you that you will pas the exam.
- If there are too many heavy ships at one fraction, that ships license fee my rise dramatically (For example if there are 100 Outcast destroyers vs 10 Corsair destroyers the participating fee for Outcast destroyer may rise from 100 mil to 700 mil or even more )
- It is the instructors responsibility to judge weather the candidate is qualified enough (enough gaming knowledge, age, personality, attitude,) to be trusted with a warship.
- The licenses may not be passed or sold.
- Its important that anyone may obtain the license to the most of the warships in the game. The license price will be the tool to control the numbers.

*** Actually we may run this licensing system similar to real life car driving license system. You may get some negative points if you do something bad. You may even loose our license when you cumulate too many negative points.

With this system we may:
- Educate people in how to behave on the server.
- Prevent some misunderstandings due to lack of knowledge.
- Promote verbal communications (TS, and others).
- Switch the system from the one that punishes to the one that guides and encourages.
- Prevent the under age children (who dont have their persona developed yet) to spoil the game.
- And possibly less work for admins
-

Lets make this community a nicer place so please share your thoughts about this matter.

Have a nice day.

********************************************************************************
Here is a modified proposal that has been aded after reading your comments, 30th.Dec
********************************************************************************

If we quickly summarize what we have spoken we could say:

There is a necessity to educate new members. The originally proposed system wont work because there is too much work with everything. But we surely could use some sort of tutoring support. That tutoring support could be used for new players (who wish it) and for players that cause troubles.

With the reference to your posts I propose 2 things:

FIRST: That we prepare a printable document: A quick guide through Sirius
We just put all stuff together, polish it and make it downloadable. And modify it with time

SECOND: We organize tutoring by.

- Selecting a team of people who are willing to teach. :cool:
- Organize regular seminars at fixed hours. (For example once per week)
- We post all basic info about this in the server chat bar.
- We use team speak (or some other means of verbal communication)
- And then everyone interested just shows up at designated hour on TS and waits for the course.
- Problematic players, :crazy:who get sanctioned, could have a chance to reactivate their characters after joining one of the courses. :D
' Wrote:With this system we may:
- And possibly less work for admins
I fail to see how creating an entirely new level of bureaucracy creates less work for anyone, Admins especially.
Feel free, however, to teach anyone whatever it is that you know about the mod or gameplay, so long as you don't have to shoot them to get them to listen to it.
I would actually like to see an in-mod licensing system, which works in accord with the missions available to players, in order to prevent people from reaching war ships without some effort and knowledge required for commanding such a vessel. In other words, just trading for it shouldn't suffice. The roleplaying could be contributed with an enforcable tutoring effort. However, the limited coding capabilities are unlikely to let us build such a feature, unless somebody steps in to prove me wrong.
Whilst this appears to be a great idea, there is a problem. Saying that your ability to RP and knowledge of the rules must be at a certain level to fly certain ships is basically saying that it is okay to RP poorly, and be ignorant of the rules, if you fly a smaller ship.

This creates a two-tier system, where good RPers fly big ships, and the less good RPers are basically given a license to break the rules in fighters.
Quote:I fail to see how creating an entirely new level of bureaucracy creates less work for anyone

Basically, no offence, I don't see this working. Forcing someone to participate in a seminar of re-education, and judging only by yourself who can or can not RP well by your definitions, sounds a lot like an "entirely new level of bureaucracy"

Mind you if you wish to teach anyone anything, you have my full support & blessing, but forcing them, and making a profit out of it...nope, sorry.
This is an extreme measure that should only ever be used in extreme circumstances.
One of Discovery's main appeals is the freedom that is available, this clamps down on it greatly and also makes little sense.

A bomber is more of a threat than a Battleship currently. Favouring RP in the biggger, less useful, ships doesn't make much sense.
Quote:Saying that your ability to RP and knowledge of the rules must be at a certain level to fly certain ships is basically saying that it is okay to RP poorly, and be ignorant of the rules, if you fly a smaller ship.

This creates a two-tier system, where good RPers fly big ships, and the less good RPers are basically given a license to break the rules in fighters.
Things wouldn't work that way. Being ignorant to rules is out of question in the first place as it will get anyone who violates the rules a fine or ban depending on the case. Moreover, Discovery's main flair revolves around roleplaying and having fun by doing it. A licensing system could bring the possibility of tutoring people with the elements, merits of roleplay while aiding them to improve their combat and trading skills as well by advancing in a chosen career step by step, if designed properly.

And if there was a possibility, I would be in favor of developing two licenses, most probably based on the qualifications and prices of the vessels available, one for combat in order to let people advance through fighters, bombers and warships, while the other one for commercial to advance through trading-support (larger cargo bay) vessels.
Well I disagree with using a "bureaucracy" word. I would prefer to use something like "plenty must be done in order to make this work. And this is highly correlated with the idea. It's not perfect, it solves nothing it's just a frame that cold help to build a working system. It needs a lot of polish.

The rules that we have are good and they work in some way. But unfortunately they are thrown all over the forum. Only members that spend a lot of time sitting and reading know them thoroughly.

Man I buy this ship?
What weapons can I fit into this ship?
Eee, why have I been sanctioned, I was just shooting the red guys?
And so on

Arent you tired of looking at the rule violation reports over and over again? How much time will be saved if the people knew how to behave?

Personally I have no wish in teaching all the members about the rules. That I already do in 30% of my gaming pm.s anyway. But it would be great if there would be a group of experienced players (form different fractions) that would explain the RP rules for each fraction according to the idea I explained in the beginning of this thread. And they will make some coins for their fractions too :D

This initiative is all for the better RP spirit.

absoluite monahrism/dictatorship

I like it.

Too bad others wont. People dont like to be controlled, sadly.
How bout a modification of this idea for those who have broken the rules? In order to leave bastille/have some/all of their stuff/money returned, they need to pass an on-the-spot quiz about the disco rules?
Pages: 1 2 3 4