Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: to: Lane Hackers HQ -|- from: Frumentarii -|- Introduction & Coronado Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ Transmission Incoming ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤

[Image: cYU8Bum.png]

¤ COMM-ID: Sarah O'Riley
¤ TARGET-ID: Lane Hackers
¤ SUBJECT: Introduction & Question

MESSAGE DECRYPTING... |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100%

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Sarah O'Riley and I am honoured to introduce the Frumentarii to the Lane Hackers, one of our oldest secret friends.

The organisation I am representing goes back decades and consists of a network holding influence right up into the high echelons of the Independent Miners Guild. In its history, the Frumentarii have supported decisions of the Guildmastery, have swayed their decisions or have gone against it to achieve their goals.

The Guild keeps complete deniability and if you were to request information, I assume no intel would be provided. However, I can assure you that the society has the means to influence what is happening. For example, in 819 A.S the Frumentarii were instrumental in keeping a certain House influence out of the Coronado system, thereby securing its independence and preserving its function as a discreet passageway for those who need room outside of laws and police patrols.

It is about recent Coronado events that I would like to talk to the Lane Hackers: a surprise Outcast raid that damaged or destroyed Crayterian orbital infrastructure, while Crayter forces were successfully pushing Gallia out of Tau 44. The Coronado confrontation resulted in heavy combat activities that left IMG assets damaged, and also saw Lane Hacker vessels damaged.

The Guild seems to have decided to bury the incident and not do a follow up. The official conclusion was that Lane Hackers and IMG vessels did not clash directly, and that the rules of engagement on IMG side were clear and kept blue-on-blue fire from happening.

For the Frumentarii, there are some questions that are raised by the Coronado events and some suggestions to be made.

For a pretext, I should add that the main purpose of the organisation I work for is to defeat Gallia and thereby free the Taus again from occupation. We aim at preserving its freedom from House rule afterwards. The military successes against Gallia in Tau 44 mark a beginning of this effort.

Furthermore, the Frumentarii are ready to defend the independence of every system that we have a stake in from House influence, but also from a growing influence of our enemies. In Coronado, this includes the Houses of Liberty and its corporations, as well as the Outcast.

We do not mind your deals with the Outcast, and the Frumentarii do not mind a certain degree of lawlessness in Coronado. It is essential to create the environment that is needed for some activities. However we require some clarification as to the nature of this cooperation in the Coronado incident.

Can you define the role of the Lane Hacker fighter craft in the early stages of the engagements near Planet Pecos?

What is the Lane Hacker's stance on the Outcast cooperation with alien entities of gigantic mass, as encountered in the attack against the Crayter forces at Pecos? At least two gigantic creatures labelled commonly as Marduk-class were spotted in the engagement. Reports also state that more of them were alongside Outcast forces in the destruction of Minerva Research Station.

What is the Outcast's game for Coronado? Was this just a raid to take out the research installation, or is this part of a plan for Coronado? How does it involve your organisation? Because if there was a major move by the Outcast, we should align our points of view and find a middle ground that serves our mutual interests for Coronado's future.

The Frumentarii would mind any threat of our core interests in Coronado, which obviously span wider than just Planet Pecos and planetary Deuterium mining and an absence of House influence. That's why it is essential for us to share information and come to a conclusion as to how we can cooperate in a way that ensures our interests are met.

If you are interested, the Frumentarii could offer to be a mediator between you and the Crayter Republic, if a decrease of hostility after the Coronado clash seems wise to you. From our perspective, we assess that there is little appetite in the Crayter Republic to make more enemies, now that their assets will focus on the Taus. So there is a chance, despite recent confrontation, to return to a more sustainable diplomatic stance - always depending that your mission in Coronado has been completed with the destruction of this piece of infrastructure.

Furthermore, the Guild has a certain measure of influence on Crayter Republic decisions and if we can agree to a path that seems worth following, the Frumentarii could prove to be an asset in influencing decisions that shape Coronado's future.

I am looking forward to any questions and I hope I will receive some answers to my questions.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ Transmission Closing ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤
...hack.initiated...connecting.to.Spyglass.Network...decryption.in.progress...
...Deceiver.Gustav.Graves..recognized...encoding.transmission...
...uploading.data...

[Image: 101b.png][Image: 3.png]

Miss O'Riley, a pleasure. You may call me Mr. Graves.

I would like to apologize for the time it has taken to pick up this rather, well, delicate subject matter. While I do not believe that you yourself have ever been in contact with the Lane Hackers, or at least I didn't find such a thing in the Archives, I am going to suspend disbelief and take at least your requests for granted. The Independent Miners Guild has always had a rather presige-laden standing with the Lane Hackers, despite some ideological differences — more of that later — yet this has not quite bothered any of us to at least go our merry ways. Of course, you will have to understand that, as not quite an ally of ours, we will be withholding certain things from you. We pride ourselves in integrity and therefore, I am disclosing this right off the bat. If you truly desired a partnership with the Lane Hackers, you would need to join the Orange Alliance, though that is neither here nor there.

We should probably clarify whom we are talking about first. The Colonial Republic has not had it easy. There is a certain irony about their situation that is not entirely self-inflicted, mostly because they did not have a choice when it came to the House of Gallia advancing on their turf in the Taus and pushing them out. What they did have a choice in was deciding how to proceed after that point, and we are sad to say that they turned into the very essence of that which they vow to destroy, those who took their homes. After their defeat at the hands of the Gallic, they settled in Coronado, brutally suppressing those who previously inhabited the then barren patch of space, imposing their — pardon my French — 'laws', which really only amount to 'yield or be destroyed'. Some people believe we call them 'Colonials' as an insult or as a joke, but it really only amounts to a zealous accusation that they betrayed that which they claim to uphold as a guiding principle, instead devolving into a spiteful and malign entity like a rabid animal that must be put out of its misery.

You ask why Lane Hacker operatives were in Coronado on that day? To wield the knife to cut out the cancer. We do not know about Nomad activities in the area, though we are quite aware that the alien menace seems awfully cuddly to our Maltese allies. We know for a fact that this isn't because they have taken hold of their ranks similar to how it was with Rheinland during the Nomad War, because if it were so, you can be quite certain that our association would end at the point where they chose a hostile alien race over their partners in Liberty. However, we cannot fault the Maltese for taking advantage of the fact they are left alone by them. I believe many would act likewise in the same situation. To return to your point about our own involvement, however: We are at war with the Colonials together with the majority of the Orange Alliance. Whether there is a plan for Coronado or not may not be disclosed to you without membership or a valid reason that you would act in the Alliance's favour — this is not my call to make.

While we believe the basic level of intellect in the higher ranks of the Colonial Republic has hit a point that qualifies any member to chronical functional flower that not even Cardamine could cure, we assume no such thing about the Independent Miners Guild, and therefore we would at least offer you to propose a course of action that it deems viable in the remote chance that we could take you up on the offer and engage in talks with the Colonials. That is all I can say about this, as the only treatment that hypocrites can expect from the Lane Hackers is quite negative.

I bid you a good day.

...encryption.in.progress...disconnecting.from.network...hack.terminated...

¤ TARGET-ID: Deceiver Graves

Dear Mr. Graves,

Thank you for your reply and your explanations. I'll go through them one by one, so that we can cover all the relevant issues:

Firstly, you are right. There has never been direct contact between the Frumentarii and the Lane Hackers, however if you need sincerety about my claims, a careful look into a single transaction by the bank alias #L-423-AX-33315-OF37 will prove that we have always felt strongly about Coronado's independence.

Secondly, it will not come as a surprise to you if I tell you that joining the Orange Alliance is not an option, however the Guild has been able to cooperate in creative ways, and the Frumentarii are a lot more flexible than them in our actions. Needless to say, we accept that there are certain limits to our cooperation and sharing of intelligence.

Thirdly, I would like to focus on those you call Colonials and how you portray their actions in Coronado. As you know, the Guild has been in Camp Lister on Planet Pecos for a long time, and I think it can be claimed that a system like Coronado can accomodate a certain number of groups, even if they are enemies. In the past, the IMG has cooperated with the people of Barrier Gate and we have managed to maintain a balance.

This balance has been disturbed by the Crayter Republic moving to Coronado and their aggressive approach to what they call 'securing' of Coronado. You and me know that this is the wrong approach to make a place as heterogeneous as Coronado safer.

The Frumentarii are convinced that there is no need for further escalation of the conflicts in Coronado. Even though the Outcast managed to raid Yuma's space infrastructure, this came at a steep price, as they were beaten back and suffered losses the day before they inflicted great losses on the Crayter fleet. Lane Hacker fighters and an IMG Cruiser were also caught up in the conflict.

To sum it up: The Coronado fighting is a costly and ultimately useless endeavour in our opinion. Supply lines for the Outcast are too long and reach through Gallic space to ensure a sustainable large scale presence in Coronado.

Crayter commanders should focus on the Tau liberation, and not fight in Coronado.
Lane Hacker interceptors should not find themselves in large fleet engagements.
IMG Cruisers should survey planets for resources, and not be engaged in brutal fighting.

Based on my conviction that this conflict is not profitable to anybody in the long run, I have the following suggestion:

If the Crayter Republic backed down from their exaggerated territorial claims of the complete Coronado system, and if they limited the application of their laws to the parts of space they actually militarily control (the areas around Yuma and Pecos), would that change the stance of the Orange Alliance with regards to Coronado?

In the opinion of the Frumentarii, a quiet reduction of the Crayter claims on Coronado, which would encompass granting Barrier Gate a special status as a neutral entity, could restore the equilibrium of the past where Coronado was beyond control by any single entity.

We want the independent, wild Coronado that created a grey environment in which everything was possible and in which no power even tried to aim for hegemony. This is the best way to ensure stability in our opinion.

Summed up: The Frumentarii are interested in whether a limitation of influence and law, combined with a special status of Barrier Gate would change anything for the Lane Hackers and the Orange Alliance. If our assessment of the situation is correct, the overly exaggerated claims were responsible to a great extent for the recent armed clashes.

In case such moves by the Crayter Republic would change the political landscape, the Frumentarii could start working inside the Guild's ranks to influence their Crayterian counterparts towards such a diplomatic solution.

I am a firm believer that we can be bridge builders to end the bloody conflict and restore the old order in Coronado from which we both profited. And from peace and stability, everybody profits. One just have to throw the naive black-white thinking over board and accept that the universe, and especially Coronado is and will always be grey.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

...Deceiver.Gustav.Graves..recognized...encoding.transmission...
...uploading.data...

[Image: 101d.png][Image: 3.png]

My my, that does sounds rather cloak and dagger, Miss O'Riley.

We could go on and on about the Colonials, but neither yours nor my focus seems to be on that particular issue. While a little bit of digging with the hint you provided did in fact indicate a kernel of truth to the aim you proport you have, we fear that the intrinsic problem we will both face here is the stubbornness of the Colonials. Regardless of what you believe of them, they are far less willing or able, due to innate mental shortcomings, to sit down and have a civil discussion, just like you and I are having right now. Do forgive me when I go on a little tangent here, but I cannot help but notice that you left a group out when listing that Colonials should fight in Tau 44 et cetera.

I do not envy your job, if I'm honest. I would not have believed something like this to be possible, and even sitting down in one room would surprise me. That is all I can offer to you at this point. If you believe you can stop this madness of the Colonials, we will, however, after having received a small token of proof, establish a direct link to the entire Orange Alliance for you to contact and negotiate with.

Dear Mr. Graves,

Stubborn they might be, but in their situation it is somewhat understandable, and might be even seen as a strength by some. But we can agree that in the current diplomatic situation, it is a difficult trait of character to deal with.

You mentioned that I left out a party that the Colonials would also fight in the Taus, and you likely refer to the Outcast - who you openly refer to in here as your allies. I am convinced, however, that the Guild and the Lane Hackers are beyond the stage when you worried about what happens in the Taus as long as your own valid interests remain untouched - and I think that the understanding we managed to cultivate during the years is the best solution possible.

And, likely the most important point would be: If you agree to be the bridge builder towards the Orange Alliance, whereas I build the bridge towards the Crayter Republic, I would kindly ask you to adopt a more positive vocabulary when your political opponent is concerned.

I understand hostility, and I can understand why bitterness is present, but when we want to move forward, reduce tensions in Coronado, and turn the system grey again by convincing the Republic to withdraw some of their over-reaching claims, a partner in diplomacy is needed. And that's only the Lane Hackers who can do it.

I am ready to put the plan into motion if you signal to me that you think we are not wasting our time. If the Lane Hackers are not interested, I will wave the energy. However, if you give this effort a 30 % chance or higher, I would set the wheels into motion and keep you updated on the progress, and would ask you in return to contact the Orange Alliance and try to talk to them.

One last question, though: in case the Orange Alliance and Crayterians do not accept negotiations, I would be surprised if the Lane Hackers missed a chance to advance their interests by avoiding conflict in unnecessary places. Are you really saying that there has to be a deal between the Republic and the Alliance, or can there be a bi-lateral agreement facilitated by the Guild?

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

Dear Mr. Graves,

Just a very short status update: We have started contacting the Crayter Republic and we are trying to come to an understanding what their angle on relevant issues is. I will personally keep you informed on progress. I would ask you to do the same for any relevant developments.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

...Deceiver.Wolfgang.Weisen.recognized...transmission.encrypted...
...uploading.data...

[Image: dcr9Wjn.png][Image: gvXcwug.png]

Hello Ms O'Riley,

It's wonderful to see a lovely face such as yours from time to time... Oh and I am here to replace Deceiver Graves who is temporarily busy with other matters.

I have been given very clear instructions on this matter by the Professorship which I will try to relegate to you. We know that the atmosphere of Pecos is particularly thin and thus harmful for your brain so I will try to use very simple words and expressions.

We have nothing against your operations in Coronado, as we always believed that the IMG is not part of the corporatocracy but an independent developer of humanity. Our recent trade agreement with 'IMG Pecos' further cements this belief. Thus, we believe it is in interest of both the Lane Hackers and the IMG to keep Coronado independent and free. You either believe it or not, once CR fully controls the system, you will be viewed with suspicion and mistrust and they will gradually try to erode your influence and rights as well.

Our main interest is in the local independent base and the smuggling route which connects Liberty with the Taus. If the Colonials withdraw all claims from that very small tiny part of Coronado, then we will have an agreement. And the timing cannot be better for the Colonials have simultaneously committed most of their forces in the Tau-44 front, thus their negotiating position is weaker than normal, and the successful destruction of their bases outside Yuma by the Orange Alliance was a show of force that even their most stubborn and fanatic minds have realized that.

Unfortunately this military success has also made the Outcasts reckless and arrogant. Thus, if we are to successfully persuade them to halt further offensive operations we need something credible, something real. Make this proposition to the Colonials and if they agree to it, we can bring this info to persuade our side as well.

Have a very nice day Sarah.

Dear Mr. Weisen,

Normally I am not a big fan of changing faces while already being invested in a diplomatic process, but it seems that the direct wishes of the Professorship will make it easy to work towards an angle that might result in a mutually interesting solution.

I agree that - even though the Guild and the Crayter Republic are most often seen as firmly allied - the Guild runs a certain danger of being sidelined if Coronado were fully under control of the Crayterians. Furthermore, it would make some of the operations (that the Guild likes to conduct discreetly) a lot harder. It is no secret that Barrier Gate is useful in many ways, something the Crayterians still have to learn. Therefore, I conclude that we agree that some form of "wild independence" without any party being able to strive for hegemony over the system is preferrable to the Guild, as well as to the Lane Hackers.

I will take your suggestion of withdrawing patrols and 'laws' - that only exist on paper in the vastness on Coronado anyway - from the parts that are most sensitive and I will see how much negotiation room there is on the side of the Republic.

I would not say that this is impossible to achieve some sort of compromise.

I'll keep you posted on any progress made.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

Dear Mr. Weisen,

Just letting you know there is an update on the situation:

The Crayter Republic is willing to reduce tensions in Coronado and to compromise on the issues of:

> Neutrality of Barrier Gate
> Neutrality of regions of Coronado
> Cardamine smuggling

Slavery is a no-go, which also is a negotiation position that the IMG will support fully.

From what I can read between the lines, I would say there is a real chance of finding middle ground there. I suggest that at this point, bilateral talks would likely yield the best results. The Guild offers to be there as a neutral observing, or as a mediating party - just as required or requested by you and the Republic - if - this is the path you also think should be taken.

The chance is there, in my opinion.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah O'Riley

...Deceiver.Wolfgang.Weisen.recognized...transmission.encrypted...
...uploading.data...

[Image: dcr9Wjn.png][Image: gvXcwug.png]

Oh Sarah...

I just knew there would be communication errors somewhere. I did say it, didn't I? The terms which I provided in my previous message was the bare minimum which the Lane Hackers can agree upon and probably our Orange Alliance partners as well.

It was provided so that you know how far you go can go, it was never indicated that this is an initial offer.

As your IMG colleagues already know, the Coronado corridor is the most important supply route of Malta. Both in volume and value of cargo. Thus, trying to restrict it to cardamine-only is totally absurd, Ms O'Riley. As for the so-called 'slaves' as they are being called by the establishment and corrupt media, they are simply unemployed workers forgotten by the system who dare to make the dangerous journey to Malta to find a better future for them and their families. They are an important fabric of Maltese society and as you understand we have no right to restrict their freedom of movement.

Finally, I would like to thank you Ms O'Riley for your efforts to keep Coronado free, or as you put it "wild independent". I hope our efforts will be met with success for the stakes are high.

Pages: 1 2 3