Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [HELP] UTF files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I am trying to experiment with UTF editor and UTF files.
All of us know ANNOUCER VOICE LINES like Dock,Incoming missile,Ship purchase complete, shield failed and so on....
But there are another UTF voice lines i've never heard ingame and it seems that game designers didnt used them, just created them

Can anybody tell me where is the file which is rensponsible for telling the game which UTF line should be played in which event/action so i could try to edit this file to use UTF lines which are not used right now?

Thanks
I can share for what little I could figure myself:

All Links for voices are in Freelancer/DATA/AUDIO.

Inside you find the many .utf files for all the voices, and some .ini files.

I couldn't really figure which voice is what, but by trial and error I figured that much:

voices_space_male.ini has many sounds which are used in space, for example, if there is a transmission between a station and spacecraft you will hear "This is Battleship Hood, for bretonia heavy fighters patrol ..."

Battleship Hood is Br05_01.

The voice for male station guys is in atc_leg_m01.utf, for example.

Now look into the voices_space_male.ini and search for "Br05_01". You will quickly come along a line like this:

[Sound]
msg = gcs_refer_base_Br05_01_base-
duration = 0.469297
attenuation = -6
Priority = -6

This is where the game is registering the sound for the station Br05_01 calling itself. "Battleship Hood" in this case.

However, inside the .utf you will never find anything like Br05_01 or any usefull text. Just some gibberish of numbers and letters.

Open up the CRC tool, and insert the exact "name" of the sound: "gcs_refer_base_Br05_01_base-" <- Do NOT forget the line at the end.

CRC tool will generate 0x8215FE4D in the lower middle, this is the sound which is inside the .utf - If you replace that sound with another, but of the very same name, the Battleship Hood will say whatever it is in that soundfile whenever it tries to call out its name.

I've added a simple screen for clarification:

Screenshot.

---

I hope this might help a bit. I'm still trying to figure many things myself, but this is as far as I have gotten yet. I'm not really sure where you can tell which pilot / base what voice-stuff they actually can do, but I will try to investigate.

EDIT: I am stupid. In Freelancer/DATA/MISSIONS there is a voice_properties.ini - This is propably what you are looking for.