Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Long-time Freelancer player returning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings everyone! It's good to be back...

In the past, I've been playing Freelancer for years straight, vanilla mostly. I've heard good things about Discovery, and 2 weeks ago I finally decided to give it a go. After pimping up the game with some graphics mods, I must say I'm really impressed with what you achieved here, the gameplay is very smooth and interesting. I especially like the rock-paper-scissors metagame element, and that most equipment has been buffed to a competitive level.

Actually, I was working on a mod myself (which wasn't finished however, and was ultimately ripped apart and implemented into other mods, some parts including Discovery and the SWAG texture pack), and I must say, you pretty much put together the most enjoyable experience that is possible in the limited Freelancer engine. Now I'm an entrepreneur, and I don't have too much free time, but if possible, I'd be glad to contribute to the development of Discovery with minor additions in the near future. I would especially like to:
  1. Add a few "creepy" systems (not on the map, like the original Unknown systems, unpopulated, no bases -- so just a creepy environment overall; I consider myself very good at this)
  2. Introduce miscellaneous, additional system aesthetics, such as: (1) some large asteroid chunks in asteroid fields, above/below the system plane (so that it does not interfere with gameplay), (2) hazard buoys at the border of minefields that are in close proximity to populated space, such as the "north-western" part of Zone-21

With that said, I have a few absolutely newbie gameplay questions (at least in the scope of DC), I hope this is not too intrusive:
  1. Are fighter torpedoes still in the game? E.g. the Starkiller or the Sunslayer. I searched around, but couldn't find them for purchase anywhere.
  2. What are different types of engines for? Their stats are said to be identical. Are they purely cosmetic? If so, is there a difference in looks between various engines of the same faction?

Thanks, and it's an honor to be part of your community.
Also, one more quick question: is it allowed to multibox to transfer equipment from one ship to another? For example, I'm collecting some rare materials with one ship, then transfer it to store on another one.
(02-21-2017, 05:54 PM)Suspense Wrote: [ -> ]Also, one more quick question: is it allowed to multibox to transfer equipment from one ship to another? For example, I'm collecting some rare materials with one ship, then transfer it to store on another one.

It's frowned upon and the server will more than likely kick you. It'd be much easier to ask someone for help like a friend or an Angel or something.
Quote:Are fighter torpedoes still in the game? E.g. the Starkiller or the Sunslayer. I searched around, but couldn't find them for purchase anywhere.
What are different types of engines for? Their stats are said to be identical. Are they purely cosmetic? If so, is there a difference in looks between various engines of the same faction?

Thanks, and it's an honor to be part of your community.

There was "genius" decision to remove fighter torpedoes/missiles short time ago and replace them with fart gun , those that decide that acknowledge mistake and says that that will be fixed very soon ( that means sometime in spring of year 2024 ) .

And yes , all engines are same , except exhaust flame color ( and maybe sound , not sure for that ) . Galic engines are Purplish , Rheinlander green etc .
(02-21-2017, 06:32 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]There was "genius" decision to remove fighter torpedoes/missiles short time ago and replace them with fart gun

I believe that's supposed to be the Mini Razor? So I get it's not worth buying.
(02-21-2017, 06:40 PM)Suspense Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2017, 06:32 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]There was "genius" decision to remove fighter torpedoes/missiles short time ago and replace them with fart gun

I believe that's supposed to be the Mini Razor? So I get it's not worth buying.

It's worth it if you feel like working on your aim. Very painful if you land a hit. The gun the torp was replaced with was the Maxim, which isn't all that worth it.
I think we should unify fighter, bomber and freighter engines - or at least FINALLY make freighter and bomber versions of those. It pains me pretty much that there are no engines for freighters that I would glady mount, such as Unione Corse or these Prototype engines.