Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Expanding into the Cybernetics and Bioresearch Industry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The pile of papers on the desk was growing by the day. Wolfgang Weisen, the aspiring Deceiver of the Lane Hackers, had most of his documents in digital form however the most important ones were printed in order to analyze them more closely.

Calculations, production costs, designs, trade routes, potential clients, list of workers and their profiles, materials and storage space, were some of the issues which he had to overcome and in these papers he explained how to overcome them.

It was an ambitious project. More and more people around Sirius wanted cybernetics. Not just to replace body parts lost in accidents or in war, but also to replace healthy body parts with more efficient and powerful mechanical counterparts. While this wasn't mainstream practice, it was considered 'trendy' among some circles thus the constant demand for cybernetics. This is where Wolfgang wanted to capitalize on, black market cybernetics, free from any government regulation and restrictions are extremely expensive but most avoided them because they weren't any guarantees they'd work properly. Since cybernetics are connected with the human nerve system, they are extremely dangerous if they do not work properly. Severe brain damage or even death could result from a black market part.

And this was Wolfgang's idea. Where the Lane Hacker reputation and quality standards came in. With their reputation they could sell to clients when others cannot.

The Rheinlander picked up a paper which showed the plans for a reconstruction of the bottom floor of the station into the cybernetics industry. He had been granted very limited funds and thus he had to cut the costs signficantly. Most of the workforce was made by robots and slaves, with Lane Hacker technicians employed only on a supervisory role. If things went according to plan, it wouldn't be long before the construction line was operational and the first prototypes were produced.

"I should check the progress of our Bioresearch branch. The new OB-65 models for arms and retinas should be ready for mass production. Should evaluate test and clinical results. Und.. reply to clients on Planet Denver for the specifications they asked." He said to the computer, recording and updating his To-do list. Wolfgang then stood up, exited the room, and took the elevator.
Meanwhile in another room on the station a young woman sat on her chair. It was the new Initiate "Sun", it was a surprise to see her staying in her room while not doing anything of much use but she had a few reasons.

After a recent accident she got her hands at something that might turn out profitable for the Lane Hackers but yet seemed unsure about who to talk with about it. A rather long while of thinking through the happenings from the days before she finally had an idea! She heard about the recent plans of a Bioresearch branch focusing on cybernetics and her discovery almost perfectly fit into this subject area.
Her decision was made, she stood up and quickly took care of her slightly messy hair before heading out of the small room she was given. Heading towards the labors with quick steps, eager to tell them about it.

"I really hope it is useful to them.. I just didn't figure out how to take it off yet." She mumbled to herself as she sped up her walking.
...recording.initiated...

__CAMERA.SEQUENCE.INITIATED__

__LOCATION:MACTAN.BASE__
__CARGO.BAY.7__

Mr.Ling steps out into camera view

Father, smile upon me in this endeavor. They who ripped our family apart no longer have your works. Your dying wish will be seen, one way or another.

He slides DSE files on to his holograph screen. Various studies on Nomads, their state of existence, what is known of their bodies. Most importantly, the reports of telepathy from the many who died, and the few who escaped.

They made you work, then punished you for your work, calling it "illegal" and "merely a test of honor" which you "failed to the highest degree." They enslaved us on Pittsburgh through the lies of "lower class." And then, they killed you. They call it natural causes... Hah, as natural as overwork can be. If you hear me, please know: I and my brother escaped. I know not where he went. he told grand tales of "crush the houses for their malfeasance towards us, their benefactors." I settled for something less far fetched. I joined the ones who first spoke for us. The Lane Hackers have welcomed me kindly. Give them your blessing, for they truly are deserving of it.

He begins chanting phrases he seems to have memorized.

Three will walk. One will stop. One will succeed. One will start again. One will walk beyond...

Father, I know not where my brother walks, but I remember what you told me. The mind is only limited by itself. No limit is without exception. Every rule can be broken. All is permitted for those who reach for it.

Ling sets the camera on an overhang above himself. He has fragments of a few ship hulls, and a small container of Azurite Gas. His voice seems much darker.

The Blessing of Beyond was once described as a "connection to a greater universe." Though I have seen few of these... ah... Nomads... in my life, I have these reports, and I remember the feeling of the one who spoke to me once. A connection to a greater mind was present. there was something more than the body I saw before me. It questioned me, as if to learn. It answered when I questioned it, but it spoke in meanings, not in words. Picking up the small container of Azurite gas he retrieved from tractor grazing various ships returning from the Omicrons: It called this "locked nourishment." There's a way to unlock this, and turn it into something that will nourish the aliens. Scrolling through data logs: The trigger for this Nobel gas of sorts is direct energy currents. Plasmids, Lazers, Neutron cannons, Particle cannons... the gas will convert the energy. It will envelop it. It will embrace it. The gas will change it, and it will become one with the gas. This new state of energized gas is no longer toxic. It is almost... consumable. As he speaks, Mr. Ling recreates the reaction, using a jury-rigged A25 Hellflurry plasma cannon as his energy source: The grand failure of Liberty is their want for the perfect lie. A world where power won't corrupt, where government can be trusted, where corporations wont torture and enslave a family for the great knowledge of one man. That will never happen in this life, nor in the next.

After the reaction finishes, Mr Ling pauses to take his hit of Cardamine. The energized Asurite Ricochets around the blast container he constructed.

He sighs, and mumbles to himself: Shouldn't have used the cannon... Didn't need to factor momentum into this...

He scrolls through personal reports on the inhabitants and friends of Malta

The Maltese have this strange little... uncaring attitude from the aliens. The only attributes there are in common are these reports of salvaging a liquefied cardamine off the aliens. Reports said it was 10-15 times as strong as their standard deal. I wish I could analyze it more closely, but alas, I wish to not risk my life poking around the deep Omicrons looking for something that might not even be there. I wish I could ask an alien what they call the Maltese. There might be more insight than previous believed. Such a shame the aliens are so hostile to humanity, but no one can choose their parents.

He pauses, looking at the energized Azurite gas, ever so slowly loosing momentum

I suppose I should get to the point. The only test I have here is mixtures. I have not done so much as to be allowed higher accesses to the facilities, let alone getting a workstation. I still have not recovered your work on the Liberty projects. I intend to test the reactions of all of these materials. He gestures towards the experiment table These are Liberty basic plating, Civilian basic plating, Liberty Capitol reactor fragment, and compressed, aerated Cardamine. Bless me father. Without further ado...

He places a matter manipulator he stole from a supply depot around Fort Bush in position over his experiment. Using it, he divides his energized Azurite into equal fourths. The first separation of Azurite goes to the Libery plating. The reaction sees the Azurite gas slowly etch the plating, as if as an acid on glass. While not enough to be weaponized, it surely does minor damage to the plating.
He induces matter deconstruction in the first test, and reduces the entire reaction to helium atoms.
The second separation of Azurite goes to the Civilian plating. The Azurite etches it slightly more, leaving graceful curves around the plating, almost creating an organized pattern. The increased etching seems to be due to Liberty having once fought the Nomads before, and having made their hulls slightly more resistant to them.
He induces matter deconstruction in the second test, and again leaves naught but helium
The third separation of Azurite goes to the Capitol ship reactor fragment. Immediately, the metal is deconstructed, but lightly reconstructed in a flowing architecture of nearly molten metal. Mr. Ling records his findings, taking multiple photos of the reconstructed metals.
Again, he deconstructs the test into helium.
The Last separation of Azurite goes to the cardimine. No reaction happens immediately, but slowly the Orange gaseous substance turns to a swirling neon blue and purple liquid. Purple and deep blue electricity arcs from the liquid to the rest of the test confines. Ling uses the matter manipulator to put the substance into a jar, and seals it.

He places the jar into a storage crate, and marks it for transportation to his ship. As expected, they reacted to each other. This substance must be some form of advanced nourishment for something. I need to do more tests on this substance. This may be the breakthrough. This may be the Blessing of Beyond. This may be what our ancestors spoke of. Enlightenment, served at a table.

__CAMERA.SEQUENCE.TERMINATED __

...recording.terminated...

Mr. Ling steps into the bioresearch laboratory carrying a hazard container of a purple-blue swirling liquid. "Blessing" is marked in flowing handwriting. He places the container on a counter and writes a small note: To whom it may concern: Substance is highly toxic, and possesses a constant electrostatic charge. Handle with utmost care. After the note is written, Ling moves about to examine the research bay, looking for tools that may have made the process by which he obtained the substance much easier. A metered energy accelerator. Professional quality reaction chambers. Containment bays for specified hazards. Huh he mumbled. I should have done this here... what exactly was I thinking?. Deciding not to think about it, he took a seat near his creation, and awaited the sound of approaching footsteps.