Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Using accents on letters ingame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is something that I have been wondering for quite a while now: Why is it impossible to write öäüßàáéèíìóòúù etc. ingame? I know for a fact that a certain degree of that is possible, since there is a Council cap that had an é in its name today in New London. On Hamburg City, you could write pretty much any symbol by adjusting your keyboard layout in Windows and starting the game in windowed mode. This doesn't quite work here, as only the cyrillic layout really works, while French accents for example do not work.

Why am I asking this? Well, I always found it to be sort of awkward that I could not have the callsign of my character be Geneviève.Mercier. Someone who knows a bit of French will cringe at the spelling without the accent, because it simply sounds completely different. So my question: What is the problem with these letters not working ingame, and is there maybe a way we can get this working?
In some cases, it's simply ingame mechanics, EE game engine simply doesn't allows to do so. Just because Freelancer's engine is ancient as Merlin's beard so there's nothing much to do about it and it's more practicable to do an Unreal Engine 4 remake of our game, rather than trying to make something out of whatever we have at the moment

Perhaps, the problem is within FLhook or smth like that.
Again, on HHC, you could write literally any symbol, so I think the problem is not the engine, but rather something specific to Discovery. Maybe to prevent unnecessarily many eldritch symbols in char names, but it does hurt Rheinland and Gallic names, who kinds sorta need those.
or because people can't write all the same symbols on their keyboard.
Yeah, trying to send credits to someone with those characters would not be fun if you lack the right keys. Piracy would be able to resort to trade requests I guess, but ugh
Keep it English, please.
(03-07-2017, 03:57 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Keep it English, please.
Non-standard characters cause issues with third party programs we use for backup, management and of course the event plugin as well, where text is stored in tables.

There is very little chance that this will happen.
Cyrrilics are working very fine, бля буду.
(03-07-2017, 07:14 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Non-standard characters cause issues with third party programs we use for backup, management and of course the event plugin as well, where text is stored in tables.

There is very little chance that this will happen.

There are already people with strange characters in their names, like T with a belly, no idea how to show it here.
Maybe some validation upon character creation is needed?