Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Save the server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Don't post here with 'final nail', 'we can't', 'it's about time', or any of that junk. Serious thread. Please read Alley's thread for context. Don't derail it, we're running on limited time. If you have an idea, the skill sets required for server maintenance, the ability and the money, most importantly, the will, here would also be a good place to outline it. I've heard player files are being backed up, so the player content itself is unlikely to go. this is about the server.

There'll likely be a chat created for people to cohere and work together.

(03-13-2017, 12:33 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Just to make sure this sinks in, we are not looking for people to host the server. That part of it all is relatively easy to cover and it will be handled within the current administration team.

Remember, this is about FL server technical knowhow, not where the server is.
The 'Save Discovery' Committee. Who would've thought?

The first priority would be to find someone willing to manage hosting the server, who is capable and has a serious interest in the health of both the community and server in general. Someone who actually cares about this place as much as the people trying to save it do.

The last thing any of us want is to see Discovery gone, and I hope for the sake of being prepared that both the forums and server files are being backed up just in case so that we could at least have a chance to start up where we left off.
1.) Crowdsource Server fees, making the community responsible for paying for the server. The reason for this is if you have 1 person paying for the server, they have all the power so if things go sideways, its really bad
2.) Alternatively, have someone who is happy to pay for the server fees (Which wouldn't be cheap)
3.) Replace heirarchy with those dedicated to making the mod work, and its future development

Crowdfunding has worked for SWGEmu for years now in keeping their forums working (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php)
Speaking of which, whatever happened to the donation sidebar? We've always been running on donations
(03-13-2017, 11:20 AM)El_Vlado Wrote: [ -> ]Crowdsource Server fees, make the community responsible for paying for the server and replace devs with those who enjoy the positions.

Works for SWGEmu for years now

That's occasionally done. It's not so much the cost of hosting the server but motivation and drive to.
The problem is, people who apply as a admin, are mostly new in the Administration scene ( at least it looks like that)
They forget that it takes quite alot of time to do this job.

Anyway, if the server is going down, we need to get the server files as fast as we can, and get a new server, or we ask alley to rewrite the ownership.

To find a server that fits for us, will take a while, since Freelancer only supports 1 core.
So, the data transfer is the important stuff, do we don't start from 0.

Actually, we can only wait and hope that one of the admins get the files asap.
As long as the player files are saved and can be given to whoever operates a new server, and the forums are kept, then we're all good.

I'd host the server myself if you could all stand my ping lmao
Old guys that know how-to could take charge, and are aware very well of the responsibilities. If it's subject of change, the admin team, the older guys in the community should be targeted, if given the new ones are well... lacking certain criterias.
(03-13-2017, 11:21 AM)Legionnaire Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is, people who apply as a admin, are mostly new in the Administration scene ( at least it looks like that)
They forget that it takes quite alot of time to do this job.

Anyway, if the server is going down, we need to get the server files as fast as we can, and get a new server, or we ask alley to rewrite the ownership.

To find a server that fits for us, will take a while, since Freelancer only supports 1 core.
So, the data transfer is the important stuff, do we don't start from 0.

Actually, we can only wait and hope that one of the admins get the files asap.

Spazzy mentioned he's going to back things up I believe.

Yes, being a part of the staff is a difficult job when managing such a complex and diverse community. I volunteered for the position several times and would be willing to do it.

As I mentioned in the thread, I don't know the first thing about the technical side of server management. I'm more of a people person.
(03-13-2017, 11:25 AM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]the technical side of server management.

This is critical.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5