Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Celeberty Deathmatch:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I want to bring up a question that was posed on another forum, and I warn you it is a tough one.

[Image: firefly-falcon.jpg]

Which ship is the most awsome vessel to grace science fiction, The YT-1300 light freighter (AKA The Millennium Falcon) or the 03-K64-Firefly class Mid-Bulk Transport (AKA Serenity).

The reason why I refer to these two ships as the best of sci-fi is because they are both aging transport models pressed into service as smuggling vessels for anti-hero captains. In addition both of them can be considered a character because fans of Star Wars and Firefly have formed such a strong emotional connection to these ships.

I naturally assume that most of us are sci-fi geeks and all of us love these ships, but which of them steals your heart? Answer now!
Well, I don't know a thing about either of those, but I'm gonna vote the 2nd one for looks. Not to mention that it was in the Family Guy parody of Star Wars:P. Erm... Is the 2nd one called the Serenity or the Millennium Falcon?
Both are classic, but I've gotta go with the Falcon.
Millennium Falcon all the way, Serenity only has a small cult following compared to it.
Millenium Falcon~
Han Solo forever!
Alright, Serenity is by far the inferior ship. In all aspects of spaceflight and battle, the Falcon's got that Serenity beat. Serenity's barely held together, but at least the Falcon is maintained at a battle ready state.

As far as fan fare and popularity, Firefly is not even in the same weight class as Star Wars (Especially the Trilogy).

And finally, the Falcon is by far more beautiful than the Serenity.
@ the original post:

Firefly/Serenity, all the way. Starwars never put even a glint as much effort into developing the millenium falcon as an actual 'character' of the story as they did with serenity. Both the series and the movie make you love the ship, despite most people thinking its an ugly wreck. The millenium falcon was never really a 'focal' point of starwars, it was just there as part of a ridiculously large universe, while serenity was the home of every main character in the firefly series.

Plus, serenity did a far better job of creating a "western in space" than starwars ever did. If the two shows had been developed at the same time (starwars has a bigger fan base just because it's older), and if firefly had not been pulled from the air after the first season, i'm positive that we'd have more votes for that ship here.

Quote:Well, I don't know a thing about either of those, but I'm gonna vote the 2nd one for looks. Not to mention that it was in the Family Guy parody of Star Wars tongue.gif. Erm... Is the 2nd one called the Serenity or the Millennium Falcon?

Epic fail dude, epic fail.

Quote:Alright, Serenity is by far the inferior ship. In all aspects of spaceflight and battle, the Falcon's got that Serenity beat. Serenity's barely held together, but at least the Falcon is maintained at a battle ready state.

Well, thats kinda the point, Serenity doesnt have -any- weapons, they had to strap an exterior cannon onto the top to piss off some reavers. Other than that, they manage to get out of every situation through slick thinkin and dirty tricks, whereas the millenium falcon is flown by gung-ho han solo (he's an ok character, but really... he's bland compared to the character development in firefly) who always gets into fights without even tryin to get around them.

Quote:As far as fan fare and popularity, Firefly is not even in the same weight class as Star Wars (Especially the Trilogy).

Think about it though, you're comparing the focal point of an entire show to one tiny ship in the entire universe of star wars. The millenium falcon was never the focus of the story, like serenity is =P

Quote:And finally, the Falcon is by far more beautiful than the Serenity.

The ugly is what makes serenity beautiful =P

EDIT: Oh, and one last comment to add, Kaylee is way more attractive than Leia ever was =P
then again, I kinda have a thing for greasemonkey mechanic babes.
' Wrote:
Epic fail dude, epic fail.
I iz sad nau:(. Seriously though, I think the only sci-fi movie or show I ever saw was Star Wars 2, because it had just come out in theaters and my dad made me go see it. I never have been a big fan of sci-fi shows: games in the style are usually fun, though.
Lets not debate the absolute technical details of these ships eh? This more about the design and personal connection to the ship. The tech of Star Wars is far different then the tech in Fire Fly. In Star Wars having weapons on your ship and being battle ready is a matter of survival, but in Firefly having weapons is a great way to get negative attention from the law.

I would aslo like to are that both ships have more then thier fair share of mechanical problems, these flaws are part of each ships character affter all. I will grant you that the Falcon does not have parts falling off like Serenity does, but I do remeber a fussy hyperdrive being a major plot point.

Since I am the only one who voted for serenity so far, I have say that the choice was difficult. In the end I choose Serenity because I am one of those people who constantly re-arranges things so that they "fit" together. Serenity has a very Zen and functional interior wheras the Falcon's interoir does not fit the ship. As a frieghter it doen't seem to have allot of space for cargo, or a convient way to load it.

Edit:

Star Wars trivia! The reason why the falcons interior does not fit the vessel is because the falacon was changed mid production! Liea's Blocade Runner was the what the falcon was supposed to look like, but it was changed because a competing sci-fi series used a very similar ship and lucas didn't want to get labeled as a copy cat!
Oh so that's why the interior of the Falcon looked that immense...
Pages: 1 2 3 4