Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Information after Death
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This is something I've noticed that's been happening throughout the time, that people are able to miracously pull out evidence AFTER they've been destroyed, even as going as far as showing their own death as evidence.

Now, this may be pertaining to a peculiar incident - but instead, it's a /perfect/ example of the proposed potential issue. What's the point of killing people when they can borderline powergame the evidence after being killed with no witnesses? The same goes for anything else, people being shot down by individuals in the borders of House Space, etc.

If there was an actual benefit to shooting down intelligence ships, where-as a small proposal where if they wanted to keep their RP data, they'd have to escape or dock. Or someone who got killed by corporate piracy in House Space can't report it to the local government if their ship is blown up, which usually means the evidence is gone. Space is deep, space is dangerous. A dead man can't give a testimony, etc. At the same time, this also adds difficulty to the roles, where as if you were gathering RP info, you have to actually be conscious of the decisions you make, and try to preserve your 'life' (you can't gather information from other players by hiding above plane either), giving the meaning of death more impact, which makes sense anyway. Your pilot doesn't want to die. (Unless they're suicidal xd)

But the only thing I can see it greatly affecting is bounties, where-as by the proposed logic, you'd have to live to the end of it to actually get your claims.

Thoughts?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_box

Considering characters don't actually die when you kill their ship in Freelancer, what makes you think information should be any different? Theoretically, a black box analogue in Disco doesn't even have to be on the ship - everything can be remotely backed up to the neural net long before the vessel itself gets ripped apart.

Things have worked just fine the way they are for years. I don't think this needs to be changed.
I agree that you shouldn't be utilizing information that you obtained prior to dying in a situation that you could not have reasonably survived, like dying in Omicron Iota alone, with nobody nearby. It's sort of poor form. It makes more sense, if you can call it that, to simply assume the thing never happened or that you just got respawned at a station (come on, it's a video game. Why not be a bit meta in that regard, like "I just woke up on Freeport 11"). If I can't heinously murder you in the middle of nowhere, there is just no tension to actually go to these places. I might as well do it in plain sight.

Edit: Omi is right, though.
I fully agree with Omi.

There has been no issue with things like this.
Then what's the point of having dangerous space where in reality; it's dangerous for the attacker because they'll just be reported anyway?

Even in deep space, uploading can be interfered, especially in more desolate locations. What's the point of shooting someone reconning your home system when they'll just supposedly "upload" it anyway?

It's true that you can stream data, but consider the distances from their supposed home, and for any jamming systems, environmental disturbances, nebulae, etc.
Well, you can access the neural net from Freeport 11 no problem, or else you couldn't send trasmissions from there, which people do without batting an eye. So why is distance a problem now? I do agree that it is a bit of a weird thing, but you can work around it by using Freelancer ID'd ships and RP them as your mobsters, maybe.
Well, it's similar to intercepting data streams and powergaming access to other people's comms. You don't want that either.
You could have a 'wifi point' sure - but you can't access the 'internet' being outside the zone of connectivity. Capital Ships would make more sense with sending out data anyway.
(03-21-2017, 06:23 PM)Auzari Wrote: [ -> ]You could have a 'wifi point' sure - but you can't access the 'internet' being outside the zone of connectivity. Capital Ships would make more sense with sending out data anyway.

That is the reason people have mobile internet access. Basically allows you to connect anywhere.
(03-21-2017, 06:26 PM)thisDerius Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2017, 06:23 PM)Auzari Wrote: [ -> ]You could have a 'wifi point' sure - but you can't access the 'internet' being outside the zone of connectivity. Capital Ships would make more sense with sending out data anyway.

That is the reason people have mobile internet access. Basically allows you to connect anywhere.

Yes, but that means you need the actual transmitters within the system, or being near one, or actually having access to it for it to actually function. Space is big. There's interference in space. Systems are very large.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7