Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The second Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
For once it was a nice day. No clouds or strong winds, the sun was bright and the birds sung their songs with unusual joy. Alfred had made his way to the heart of the University Gardens, and amongst the Royal Oaks he set his little table. A few books along with a recording device and a handful of papers were soon scattered across the table. He'd written everything he needed to ask down beforehand.

Interveiw with Legión Maltesa(an Overview of Outcast History, culture, philosophies, language and Religion.) Written for the University of Cambridge's Anthroplogy library by Dr Alfred Steiner.
Date: 6/04/824 A.S.
University Of Cambridge, University Gardens.
Subject: Eliza Valdez

Seeing nothing else to do, he drew his pipe and began puffing away, waiting for his guest to arrive.
Eliza had visited Cambridge a dozen or so times before but that was of no help to her in finding the place where they were supposed to meet. "The great oak collection at the University Gardens in Maidstone" didn't really ring a bell in her head and she had warned Alfred about that. Nevertheless thanks to the wonders of the neural net she eventually found her way to the right place. The weather was nice and she enjoyed the caressing touch of the sun's rays which reminded her of home. After a moment more she spotted the man carelessly puffing his pipe while sitting at a table littered with papers in the distance and figured that was most likely the interviewer that she was supposed to meet. The girl quickened her walking phase and hastily made her way to him. Hi, you must be Albert? Sorry for being late, she said with a shy smile and a guilty expression.
''Eh what?'' He said opening one eye scanning her for all of half a second before jumping to his feet ''Oh...Indeed I am, sorry about that. You must be Miss Valdez. Thank you for coming along. Please, do have a seat.''

He sat down and rumaged through his papers before producing a single sheet of Yellow paper and giving it to her with a pen.
''That is the contract. It states that anything you say in this interview is given willingly and in the knowledge that you are being recorded. All information given is for the public record. Now, there might be some questions that I ask that you may not wish to be recorded for, in those circumstances I will turn off the machine if you request it and if there are any questions you don't want to answer, let me know and we won't. Now if you just want to read and sign that for me love, that'd be wonderful and we can start.''
Valdez took her seat as well and with a cheerful smile began reading the consent form that Steiner had given her. The request for an interview she had accepted spontaneously without giving it much thought back in Omega-3 so all this came to her as a bit of a surprise. Regardless of that she shook off any nervous thoughts as she doubted the man would even have a slight idea of the things that actually worried her in her seemingly careless life. The Maltese woman carefully signed her name under the form before handing it back to the interviewer. Right then, now that formalities are done, with what do we begin? Or are there more things that I need to sign? she chuckled.
He folded the paper and put it into his case before turning the recorder on and starting the Interview proper.

''Doctor Alfred Steiner, conducting an interview with Lady Eliza Valdez of the Maltese peoples on planet cambridge at 10:30 AM on thursday the sixth. Miss Valdez has signed the privacy contract and we are ready to begin.''

He paused and gave her his full attention with a warm smile. ''Good morning.'' he said ''So i met you in Omega-3 the otherday and I noticed you were flying under some rather unusual colours, the Legion Maltese am I correct? Please tell me....well......everything about them''
Everything?! the whole idea if having to tell everything she knew about the Legion felt silly to her. Well, where to begin, she quickly tried to structure a resume of the faction in her head. Légion Maltesa was formed around the start of this year because of a somewhat popular opinion of some Maltese individuals that the current Maltese ruling body, the National Council, was too focused on self-gain and disregarded the greater good of Malta and it's people. Her eyes were locked on the man as she did not expect him to start with such a serious topic and the whole thing got her a bit off guard. The conceptual work was done by Enma Loyola and the renown Maltese commander Ezio Aquila took the post of commander with a rank of Lieutenant-General. Eliza paused again to construct the next few sentences in her head. Due to my involvement with Loyola and my past accomplishments I was given a post inside this newly formed paramilitary force as the commander's right hand with a rank of Colonel. Even if she managed to keep her composure on the outside, Eliza always felt uneasy sharing this information. In her own eyes she never felt worthy to hold such a high rank at her young age and always blamed the fact that Loyola wanted her there for one reason or another. The fact she never knew the exact reason only added salt to the wound. Membership was entirely voluntary and modus operandi was simple - we were to serve Malta to the best of our abilities as a military force without falling slave to the oligarchy that rules Malta. We did not accept monetary help from the Council and stayed away from the Cardamine trade. Instead most of our funding came from working with allies and piracy against the enemies of the Maltese Nation.
As soon as she started talking, he was already writting notes and questions on the various points she made. His eyes lit up like a christmas tree at the wealth of information she had regarding a usually very fickle organisation.

''Alright, perhaps it is best if i start from the very basic beginings. You say that the Legion was formed earlier this year...Most surprising, I thought you are around for longer. No matter. But, the reason for the foundation of your group, could you explain that in a little more detail? perhaps for example how or possibly why the National Council was or is too focused on self-gain and not the greater good?''
Valdez puffed some air out with a bit of an annoyance - if Alfred wanted this much detail in her mind this interview was going to span an eternity. Errr, National Council is a plutocracy, it's made of rich and influential people, renown familias and such. On it's own that wasn't too troubling, it's a tradition in Malta that dons and such hold power and say as to what will happen to our Nation. The real issue that was so to say the final straw was the fact while our Nation is facing the Gallics in the Taus, the Corsairs in the Sigmas and Omicrons, the Kusarians from Nagano and the countless bounty hunters sponsored by the miners of Tau-23 and 37, the National Council was too busy to fight internally with the remains of a once great organisation that was their distant predecessor. Her gaze drifted to the side. Malta has a history of civil strife that sometimes turns into short and bloody civil wars. So while our Nation was fighting to keep it's borders intact these men did nothing but show off their influence and taunt the other side and it's supporters into a conflict. While all this seemed normal to her as she was born and raised on Malta she wondered what the man across the table actually thought of it all.
''Good good'' he mumbled as he wrote it all down, regardless of however young this girl was, she knew detail. ''So to clarify, the Legion and the National Council are seperate from one another yes? neither holds any control over the other, both have seperate commanders and or leaders and such? If so then...what are you? allies?''
Her eyes focused back on him. Yes and yes. We're both separate entities with their own leadership. While the National Council holds control over Malta we still operate as an independent paramilitary. The girl paused again, she never thought how to describe the complicated relation that was woven between the two factions. Well, it's a bit complicated, in the political field we're opponents, but in space when we're fighting in the name of Malta against it's enemies we're allies. There's a sort of duality in it, that's the best way I could explain it. Eliza smiled hoping her description was good enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7