Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Simple (I hope) but useful POB improvement.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1st, I hope I am posting in the right place. If not, sorry and please tell me where to post, also if possible, move the thread there.

So.
Situation 1:
There is a POB i visit (actually multiple ones). I want to help it, bring FOW and RA. But I don't know which is the most needed item. Multiple times I brought, say, oxygen, and the damn base was full, and I had to jettison it, because I needed my ship empty to buy ore from the POB and continue my trade journey.

Situation 2:
My friend owns a POB. He is having troubles in RL, his POB started to degrade. I brought some FOW, RA, and even had to replenish crew. I brought more. I want to fill it, but have no idea if it will fit more, or already almost full.

Situation 3:
POB buys 2 types of ore. I mine one, then POB says its full. F9 menu says it has 50k free space. Now either I jettison remaining unsold ore (and waste my time) then go mine another type of ore, or I stop mining hoping that soon someone buys that ore so I can empty my miner.

What do I want?
That POBs show their current stock AND allowed capacity for every item, their internal rules - how much of every item is allowed and how much there are, so people can plan themselves and dont go mining, say, copper when the POB have like 5 free spaces for copper.

Some of the owners might not want all the players to know internal POB status, that's why to see those stats a password may be set by the POB owner. So foreigners may not know about that, but the POB Owner can give the password to certain people (friends, faction, etc).

Would be even better if we could request POB commodity status at distance, without being docked at it.

Situation 4:
many people who are new to the game have no idea POBs use resources. They also don't know that ANYONE can bring those resources and even profit with that. Many of them come to the POBs empty, buy some ore and fly away, without knowing they could have brought some FOW or RA and even get some cash for that.

What do I want?
Upon docking, a message should pop (either pop-up, or green text like when you undock in /conn), saying: bring stuff to the POB, FOW, RA, buy on planet X for 250$ and sell on this POB for 1000$. This message should be configured by the POB owner. Many people would like to help (they just don't know their help is needed), and even more would like to profit, they just don't know its possible!
(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]What do I want?
That POBs show their current stock AND allowed capacity for every item, their internal rules - how much of every item is allowed and how much there are, so people can plan themselves and dont go mining, say, copper when the POB have like 5 free spaces for copper.

Some of the owners might not want all the players to know internal POB status, that's why to see those stats a password may be set by the POB owner. So foreigners may not know about that, but the POB Owner can give the password to certain people (friends, faction, etc).

Would be even better if we could request POB commodity status at distance, without being docked at it.

That is already the case. Have a ship docked at the PoB, have the login-pw of the base and write /shop list
(04-18-2017, 10:07 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]

That is already the case. Have a ship docked at the PoB, have the login-pw of the base and write /shop list

I am not the owner! I want that everyone who docked could see the /shop list status, or if not everyone, the ones with special password just to "read", without be able to change stuff.

Today I cant read, but if the owner gives me password, I will be able to CHANGE all I want, even base defense mod, and thats why I will never get the main password.
(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]1st, I hope I am posting in the right place. If not, sorry and please tell me where to post, also if possible, move the thread there.

So.
Situation 1:
There is a POB i visit (actually multiple ones). I want to help it, bring FOW and RA. But I don't know which is the most needed item. Multiple times I brought, say, oxygen, and the damn base was full, and I had to jettison it, because I needed my ship empty to buy ore from the POB and continue my trade journey.
Food rations, water, oxygen, and reinforced alloys. They're the simplest. Food, water and oxygen should be stored to at least minimum of 5k per needed unit, then it'll last you for a long time before need replenishing. Reinforced alloys consume a lot over time, so 15k should last you around 2 days. for example. I do believe the base consumes around 6k reinforced alloys a day.
Situation 2:
My friend owns a POB. He is having troubles in RL, his POB started to degrade. I brought some FOW, RA, and even had to replenish crew. I brought more. I want to fill it, but have no idea if it will fit more, or already almost full.
Refer to below
Situation 3:
POB buys 2 types of ore. I mine one, then POB says its full. F9 menu says it has 50k free space. Now either I jettison remaining unsold ore (and waste my time) then go mine another type of ore, or I stop mining hoping that soon someone buys that ore so I can empty my miner.
The base can set a maximum comoddity quantity so it does not overfill, either your friend has not modified this, or it's maxed out.
What do I want?

It would cause problems if they could do it from a distance, as passwords could be shared and cause tampering which has been done before. You'll need to get your friend to give you a secondary base password if you wish to modify it.

Situation 4:
many people who are new to the game have no idea POBs use resources. They also don't know that ANYONE can bring those resources and even profit with that. Many of them come to the POBs empty, buy some ore and fly away, without knowing they could have brought some FOW or RA and even get some cash for that.
Its your fault if you don't allow a minimum ammount so they can't buy it empty. You have to be aware of that. you can change it through the shop commands if you're the admin or moderator of the base.

What do I want?
Upon docking, a message should pop (either pop-up, or green text like when you undock in /conn), saying: bring stuff to the POB, FOW, RA, buy on planet X for 250$ and sell on this POB for 1000$. This message should be configured by the POB owner. Many people would like to help (they just don't know their help is needed), and even more would like to profit, they just don't know its possible!
A good idea, but not everyone will do this and especially new players. they'll just look for the quickest possible way to make credits.

Red is my answer, but i could suggest your friend give you a screenshot of the minimum and maximum ammount of FWO and RA. tell him to set the FWO to 5k and set the maximum for RA to 100k (not neccesary to fill it up completely, but this is just for extra just in case)
(04-19-2017, 12:20 AM)diamond1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]1st, I hope I am posting in the right place. If not, sorry and please tell me where to post, also if possible, move the thread there.

So.
Situation 1:
Food rations, water, oxygen, and reinforced alloys. They're the simplest. Food, water and oxygen should be stored to at least minimum of 5k per needed unit, then it'll last you for a long time before need replenishing. Reinforced alloys consume a lot over time, so 15k should last you around 2 days. for example. I do believe the base consumes around 6k reinforced alloys a day.
Situation 2:
Refer to below
Situation 3:
The base can set a maximum comoddity quantity so it does not overfill, either your friend has not modified this, or it's maxed out.
What do I want?

It would cause problems if they could do it from a distance, as passwords could be shared and cause tampering which has been done before. You'll need to get your friend to give you a secondary base password if you wish to modify it.

Situation 4:
Its your fault if you don't allow a minimum ammount so they can't buy it empty. You have to be aware of that. you can change it through the shop commands if you're the admin or moderator of the base.

What do I want?
A good idea, but not everyone will do this and especially new players. they'll just look for the quickest possible way to make credits.

Red is my answer, but i could suggest your friend give you a screenshot of the minimum and maximum ammount of FWO and RA. tell him to set the FWO to 5k and set the maximum for RA to 100k (not neccesary to fill it up completely, but this is just for extra just in case)

I am sorry, but you did not answered anything I said, maybe need to re-read my text.

Current state, with only master password, does not solve anything. Nobody except owner can know the base status, and that's bad, I explained why it is bad.
The secondary password has too much power, its the same as master, except master can delete it, and it can not delete master (owner). In 99.99% of the cases the owner does not trust me enough (or even does not even know me) to trust me even secondary password, which allows to CHANGE the base. Alter cargo proportions, defense mode, start building useless module, etc etc.

The only pertinent comment you made is the last, I agree, 90% of the people will not do anything, but SOME will, that would be enough.
I already saw people comment "uh, the base has 70% hp, was it attacked? hope they fix it soon". They just don't know base needs resources and they can help without any effort, but with profit! They pass empty by planets selling RA and simply don't know that its needed on the base! I did not know it either until I decided to read POB tutorial.

You were very close. Moved into the FLHook development subforum.

Unfortunately someone else already beat you to this suggestion, and I've written the code for it. Basically it allows base passwords to be set to provide 'viewshop' only permissions, so when used to log in they only grant access to view the shop, but not any other commands or the ability to alter the shop etc.

(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]Would be even better if we could request POB commodity status at distance, without being docked at it.
I'm not so sure about this one.

This is interesting. I think we could allow base owners to set a message to be shown to players docking on the base, if that's wanted.
(04-19-2017, 08:34 PM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]

You were very close. Moved into the FLHook development subforum.

Unfortunately someone else already beat you to this suggestion, and I've written the code for it. Basically it allows base passwords to be set to provide 'viewshop' only permissions, so when used to log in they only grant access to view the shop, but not any other commands or the ability to alter the shop etc.

(04-18-2017, 10:04 PM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]Would be even better if we could request POB commodity status at distance, without being docked at it.
I'm not so sure about this one.

This is interesting. I think we could allow base owners to set a message to be shown to players docking on the base, if that's wanted.

great, Alex! About the code that is ready, is there any chance it goes live? What did people who decide, said? I am very new to Disco so really don't know very well how it all works.
(04-20-2017, 03:38 AM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]

great, Alex! About the code that is ready, is there any chance it goes live? What did people who decide, said? I am very new to Disco so really don't know very well how it all works.

I'm new to the staff and haven't seen the process work yet. I believe I need to get some other developers (who are qualified to do so) to review it, then get someone with access to the Disco FLHook private repository to merge it in and build a new copy of the base plugin, then get an admin to deploy the new build to the server, after which it should apply at the next server restart.
(04-20-2017, 03:47 AM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2017, 03:38 AM)Crazyr0m Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm new to the staff and haven't seen the process work yet. I believe I need to get some other developers (who are qualified to do so) to review it, then get someone with access to the Disco FLHook private repository to merge it in and build a new copy of the base plugin, then get an admin to deploy the new build to the server, after which it should apply at the next server restart.

well, looks like a great opportunity for you to learn the process while making our lives easier hehehe