Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: John "Jeanie" Silverstone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...hack.initiated...connecting.to.Spyglass.Network...decryption.in.progress...
...Professor.Provocateur.Nicole.Hunter.recognized...encoding.transmission...
...uploading.data...

[Image: 30.png]

Dear John,

I've always had a soft spot for you. The industrial quantities of bitterness stemming out you can come only from a Methuselah who produced them over the long years of miserable efforts. You always remind me that no matter how low I will fall, it can always be worse. Thank you for that.

I am terribly sorry that I could not respond to your questions on the spot - but as you can imagine I had a number of more important things to address at that time. However, for the sake of old times let me amend this now.

A holographic projection shows panel with a communication log. Voice recording is played.

"Are you still lively? No comrades trying to hunt you down any more?"

I am flattered you care for me so much. The majordomos has taken over the house and dug the old coot from the grave. Your assignment was no longer sufficient so I have decided to die.

"What part of your body is the coldest?"

Did you ever had any doubts it is the heart? Though I must confess that the rest has also cooled down significantly.

"I would also rather not share it with every other Lane Hacker I see. It is only you i find special among those."

I am the Lane Hackers, John. Technically now even more than before. If I decide to go along I will use whatever assets I deem required and will do with the results whatever I please. Do not insult your own intelligence by assuming otherwise.

Now onto business.
  • • Provide a short but substantial description of your contact with the organization in question including location, time and context.
  • • Provide a context for your acquisition of the package in question.
  • • Include audio and visual material where applicable.

Once I confirm at least partial veracity of your story I will make a final call whether to go with the plan or not.

Yours sincerely,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter

...encryption.in.progress...disconnecting.from.network...hack.terminated...
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
SOURCE: John "Jeanie" Silverstone Tickles.
SUBJECT:
You will hear a buzzer. When you hear the buzzer, look up at the ceiling.

[Image: kSZIG1f.png]

Heart, huh? Cuties should not say things like that aloud. Besides, i thought it is your feet or hands. Or maybe tip of your nose and ears.

First of all, i am not sure if said "Cult", or whatever you are willing to call it, can be considered an organization. Frankly speaking, so far i have little ideas of what they are.
Given your expertise, you should have some ideas of what jumpholes are and how they work. Given your occupation, coupled with your... so to say, diplomatic skills, you should have heared the rumors of random temporary jumpholes appearing here and there.
My assumption is, those were not random. Texas, Kyushu, Delta, Kepler, Omega-3. None of those was random. Someone or something knows exactly how to cut ripples and holes in space. Moreover, someone or something knows exactly what to do to make a jumphole collapse and stop working.

Just thinking about it does not let me sleep well. Do you know any of those sayings about how you wear a lovely shade of "i did not sleep at all so do not piss me off please" every morning? I've always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.

I want to know more. I want to know what they are. I want to know how they do things they do and how to make them stop. I want to know how to do things myself. I want to know every little detail - and it is a tragedy that there is so little to examine. In my cargo hold i have seventy drives full of data. Flight records, video and audio evidence, copies of whatever some of the Cultist drones had in their not-so-little brains. And that's pretty much it.

That's where you come in with all your talking, planning, programming and clever stuff you do. Maybe you will come up with ideas of where to get, what to spy on - and what to bring back. Who knows. Maybe you will decide it is not worth the trouble and i will have to find someone else to do all the thinking.

TRANSMISSION END
...uploading.data...

Dear John,

The so called "Cult of Technology" is nothing more than an urban legend. It appears that the Nomad War at the turn of the century started a new era of mysticism and cultism. People are prone to worship everything, be it alien, artificial intelligence or an abstract idea - lured by myths, exaggerations and simple hoaxes they jauntily abandon common sense and scientific skepticism.

I am sure you remember a legend about an enormous carrier lost in Omicrons. Supposedly armed with the most powerful guns and equipment in Sirius this ship was keeping at bay all the major players in the region - imperial Corsairs, warmongering Core, aggressive Order and even nosy Zoners. All this without a steady supply line and no support from the outside - a fairy tale.

No organization can maintain stable high profile operations without a sufficient supporting infrastructure and sustainable economic model. Water, oxygen, food, fuel, raw materials and spare parts cannot magically appear out of nowhere. When Reapers of Sirius chose their exile from Malta and ventured into deep Omegas it sealed their fate. You do not make an oasis in the sea of sand without at least a fresh water source.

I think you may remember when the Lane Hackers took acquisition of the superbomber prototype. It quickly sparked a number of myths and exaggerations about "infinite" powercore and over "dozen" of antimatter cannons which were all false. A fairy tales about a secret organization having this technology were a common topic of conversations throughout Liberty and Bretonia. The ship had a very expensive prototype powercore based on synchronized singularities which turned out to be unstable. On top of that this prototype was generating a massive interference which was fooling most scanners about its real potential. Application of this technology would prove to be disastrous in the long run and not economically viable. It would be cheaper and more effective to field a dozen of bombers than one such superbomber. Which leads me to following statement.

Currently documented high profile incidents attributed to the Cult cannot be linked with any known entity due to lack of supporting infrastructure and visible logistic chains. This leads to a conclusion that the Cult of Technology understood as a covert organization with hierarchical structure and firm assets does not exist. Gathered evidence support thesis that The Cult of Technology is a modern myth. Various unrelated individuals and rouge groups originating from existing research and development branches are conveniently assuming membership of the Cult in order to gain credibility, anonymity or instigate terror. Technology stolen by the so called "cultists" should be regarded as very dangerous, prototypical and unstable.

The technology you have witnessed seems to be stolen from Ageira. Creation of a stable wormhole out of nothing requires a vast amount of energy - hence massive jump gates - but during rare conjunctions of strong gravitational fields a natural and stable wormhole can appear - we call them jumpholes. Ageira for years was experimenting with technology allowing to find these intersections and deliver the last bit of energy required for a wormhole to form itself. However, these highly unstable and temporary jumpholes were deemed inferior to solid jumpgates and flexible jumpdrives especially due to the fact that their application is limited to specific places in which sooner or later a natural jumphole would emerge anyway.

With all that being said we do not think that chasing ghosts will do us any good. At the same time we do still think that the piece of data you have acquired may be of some value. If you are willing to pass it to us we will launch our R&D department.

Best regards,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
SOURCE: Is penalized fifty science collaboration points.
SUBJECT: While it may appear that I am only tracking your accomplishments using science collaboration points, the truth is every aspect of your performance will be reflected in your final score.

[Image: 7vaxtaE.png]

So, you say there are no beasts, McColdears? While i am glad to hear that, i still think we might be missing something important... But you know what? You have pretty face, nice curves, functional brain and relevant experience. I'll believe you on that one for now.
There's still more to it, however. The loot is in my cargo hold, provoking certain kind of people and reminding me how it feels to be stalked. Handing it over to you sounds acceptable. But offering to simply take it from me is cold, don't you think so? Please, warm up that cold heart of yours for me a little bit more. While i am not entirely sure myself on what do i want to hear, you have always been smart. I beg you to figure it out and tell me.

TRANSMISSION END
...uploading.data...

Oh Johnny,

It seems you forgot it was you who came to me not the other way round. But rest assured we will naturally keep you in loop about the progress in decryption of the provided data. However, for this cooperation to have a future a more formal bond should be formed. The Lane Hackers are employing a handful of individuals we call Associates. By maintaining their affiliation with us a secret they can act as our eyes, ears and sometimes proxies "on the other side".

If you decided to become our Associate we would install on your ship a full set of dedicated software with adequate encryption protocols and virtual transponder giving you access to our infrastructure. You would also be allowed to more actively participate in the project. In exchange for this you can sometimes be asked to perform a small task for us for which you will be paid adequately. Obviously, you will not be allowed to act against our interests or attack our closest allies. Besides that nothing else will change in your aimless life of a mercenary for hire who prefers to be an annoyance rather than a real threat.

Your continuous investment in the project will be a sufficient assurance of your loyalty. Not to mention that you know first-hand that crossing me has a price.

Regardless of your decision a ship will be waiting for you in Ontario in sector G6 to retrieve the package.

Best regards,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
SOURCE: Is awarded five science collaboration points.
SUBJECT: As an impartial collaboration facilitator, it would be unfair of me to name my favorite member of your team. However, it's perfectly fair to hint at it in a way that my least favorite member probably isn't smart enough to understand.

[Image: Gy4XQk4.png]

Sorry for suddenly disappearing for few days, Heart of Ice Cream.

I got myself a bit busy chasing ghosts, again. Unfortunately, i was not exactly productive in terms of new findings this time. But i would not call it useless either. Loitering in random places has its charm and you might even make a new friend or two. Or at least meet some of your old ones.

I thought about your offer on my way back. Result was me, deciding to give it a try. However, i am nowhere great with all those encryption protocols, virtual transponders and whatsoever. I am also not fine with the idea of letting anyone install anything on my ship, at all. So what if i ask you to personally work on it? Will it be possible for the price of yet another set of blue diamonds? Maybe a crate of chocolates? What do girls like these days?

Will be somewhere Ontarioish sometime soonish. I promise.

"Jeanie".

TRANSMISSION END
...uploading.data...

Dear John,

If you insist I will overseer the installment of the new software. Watching you press one button on your console while all the magic happening instantly with no visible effect for the naked human eye is something I can surely do.

Best regards,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter

INCOMING TRANSMISSION
SOURCE: Is awarded one hundred points!
SUBJECT: Again, those are science collaboration points, which you should not confuse with points from competitions such as Who-Gets-To-Live-At-The-End-An-Who-Doesn't.

[Image: WQ4rfvO.png]

I hope that my long absence did not startle you, darling. As you may have already guessed, i've been out for a walk. Do you know the saying? Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.

My favorite kind of thing appeared in Hudson this time. It was somewhat close to where i usually loiter, so i just had to check. I'll make it short and simply describe the place as unwelcoming.

The catch is slightly better in comparsion to my previous try. Feel free to tell me if you fancy any of those toys.

[Image: pKhD9pL.png]

In addition to my previous questions, though, let me ask you this: do you mind getting oily? I suddenly feel like inviting you over to fiddle not only with the buttons onboard - but with the equipment that needs maintenance, too. Oh, and i was always wondering if you like books, movies, video games and whatsoever. Fixing everything and letting the paint dry properly might take some time.

John.

TRANSMISSION END
...uploading.data...

Dear John,

The package transfer has been completed successfully. As I have mentioned we have dispatched a full wing to recon the uncharted system as well and had moderate luck in retrieving various assets. Data retrieved by us combined with disks provided by you allowed us to partially recover a weapon blueprint. As per our agreement I am sharing with you the results of our research, though they are still inconclusive.

[Image: 2.png]

While we can consider it a success, for our project to become fun and strategic we need to become more methodical. We need to be better prepared for opportunities like the one that presented itself just yesterday in New York. Installment of our encryption protocol on your ships and better integration into our operations seems to be vital.

Keep your eyes open.

Best regards,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter