Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Project Valiant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(View in 3D)[Image: xR2Z7]

Speculate away, more to come soon™.
oh, a railgun
Railgun, you say?
Very Fast Railgun Sniping At Incredible Hihg Speed?!
All of my yes if we will get a gunboat forward cannon with huge projectile velocity. A good bit of my yes if we will get generic high velocity guns.
HV weapons are hard to balance.
It should be relatively easy to balance since real world these types of guns track really slowly and are hard to hit with. For instance in close combat you have a cross that is roughly the size of the ship that leads it mimicing a targeting computer. Well rail guns could be restricted from using the auto assists to aiming. That plus a slow tracking speed would make this a balanced gun leteraly I could see these things do maybe like 3-4 thousand hull damage and maybe 1-2 thousand shield damage at 10k there reload time would be prolly around 3-5 seconds and track speed would be crap. at range this gun could be scary to larger vessels but a gunboat or smaller wouldn't have a hard time out pacing the tracking in cruise mode. If ships get close enough the rail guns would be come practically useless. at that range with that reload time you could get 4-5 well placed shots before they get close enough. you could further limit their power by making them have munitions. a large ship could prolly hold 50 but it would still limit them. The idea is that you can snipe from a distance but you have only one or two good shots before the player starts to avoid and close distance. I think they may add a fun new role to fights as a supporter. can you imagine two capital ships going at it and ones shields drop only to be hit by a high speed projectile moments later ripping through the hull. It gives people a reason to keep their shields up. you might have to tweak it some. I do not use CVs very often and there for dont really know their stats.
Tracking as in... Missile or torpedo tracking? Railgun normally has unguided projectiles. Are you talking about slow traverse speed of the turret? If so, right, it definitely is a way to make it less powerful, especially in close-distance fights against maneuvrable opponents.
Reload speed is definitely a viable way to balance such guns, too. Low ammunition count, on the other hand, is intended for large-caliber guns (for example, see Warhammer's macrocannons, Nova cannon, FV4005 Stage II with its twelve 183mm rounds in total, whatever). Railguns, instead, tend to have very small projectiles that have a lot of impact and penetrating ability... Due to having a sensible energy requirement.
Very high speed, moderate damage, balanced energy requirement, slow traverse speed of the turrets. What do you think?
One shot = empty Core
Hit = Ultimate Damage

This would already balance it, causeif you use this weapon in a bad moment, your core is empty and you are a easy kill.
It is a Pokemon Ball launcher , it sticks on SNUB and disable Thruster !

[Image: VGFyg.gif]
It's a ship-mounted railgun.
It's a Railgun mounted ship.
Pages: 1 2