Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Requesting permission to look into development of a couple new things.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello..

Somewhat new around here.. to the forums at least, so forgive me if these questions have already been answered in some way or another.

I am interested in game development, and have recently started work at a facility that would allow me access to programs/tools that others may not have easy access to. My company also would support endeavors to learn new skills (contribute to building mods for Freelancer). Some of these tools include high-definition automatic model rendering programs, extremely high-definition 3d printers, several other complimentary programs, etc.. that would allow me to potentially contribute to making the discovery experience that much more immersive (One of which involves the creation/conversion of games to Virtual Reality -- I'm not able to provide much more info on this particular point as of yet)

I've had ideas related to some subjects, and wanted to know whether or not I would have the administrator's/developer's blessing in looking into the development of a few things.

Creating new Cockpit models for several of the ships -- I've found that I spend most of my combat time either flying in turret mode (anything larger than a fighter) or in cockpit mode.. and whereas the external ship models are quite beautiful and immersive, the cockpits have far less variance.

I can see the possibility of being able to create a program to customize the HUD in FL, and had wanted to know whether or not doing so would be welcomed or dissuaded.

There's also the matter of an in-game browser that I've been very much desiring, and wouldn't be surprised if others did as well. The menu design and features could use some updating.

There are other things I've thought of as well -- and will continue to post them if desired. I played Freelancer when it'd first come out for a long time, and have only recently got back into it -- I would love to be able to use the resources I have available to contribute to the growth and development of it as time goes on.

Thank you.
I dont think you need permission to look into stuff. you can always work on new content and then submit it to the devs and they will decide if they will implement it or not.

If you have ideas you can share them in the necessary thread for discussion
I sent this further to the devs. We'll see what they can tell you.
, the primary reason for asking permission is that in the course of working on the development of a couple of the things I'd either need to ask some specific programming-related questions, or could potentially set off the anti-hack Tongue

Would rather the admins/dev team know what's up as opposed to thinking I'm trying to create exploits, etc.

Thank you! Smile
As long as you don't try to use a modified client while connected to a server there won't be any anti-cheat system to set off. I suggest making a separate Freelancer installation to develop on, use some VCS to keep track of your changes, and never use this installation to connect to a server other than your own local one (or SP).

I can provide a lot of information, as well as pointers to existing resources (mostly not hosted on DGC) about how FL works.
Roger that, Thank you Alex.