Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Playing Freelancer on an ultrawide monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking of buying this monitor, and am wondering if I'll be able to play Freelancer with the 21:9 aspect ratio. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Your picture would be extremely stretched, but you could play like that. Or you play in window mode, but that would make the monitor be a bit superflous.
it will work on that resolution, no additional edits required

however unless your into snub fights you may want to make use of the real estate in some other useful way, ie: watching a movie, or chatting/browsing Big Grin
I've tried playing at 2560x1080 instead of the usual 2560x1440 of my monitor and it was working correctly with no further settings.
It also increases the horizontal FoV and allows you to shoot your opponents in fighter PvP at a higher than usual sideways angle, which may be an advantage. (Don't be too surprised if someone overly paranoid accuses you of using a fisheye cheat.)
(05-22-2017, 03:31 PM)Nerva Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried playing at 2560x1080 instead of the usual 2560x1440 of my monitor and it was working correctly with no further settings.
It also increases the horizontal FoV and allows you to shoot your opponents in fighter PvP at a higher than usual sideways angle, which may be an advantage. (Don't be too surprised if someone overly paranoid accuses you of using a fisheye cheat.)

But it takes more time to fully turn though. Since max angle is needed to achieve max turn speed.

That's why fisheye always had trouble with movement.

<3
I've played on a MacBook Pro retina which is 2880x1800 and that was good fun
Thanks to all for the help, especially for actually trying the exact resolution out for me. As those who know me will attest I don't really go in for snub PvP much but maybe this monitor will give me the excuse I need to practice and become somewhat competent. Wink

Other than that, I guess HudShift will take a little playing around with to work out the proper values for this aspect ratio, but that shouldn't be too hard.
Although it might give you an advantage as it might act a bit like the fish eye mod.
(05-22-2017, 06:59 PM)Freeroamer Wrote: [ -> ]Although it might give you an advantage as it might act a bit like the fish eye mod.

That's what I was referring to, yes (that point was raised earlier).
For the sake of completeness, here's an example I made a while ago:

16:9 (2560x1440)

21:9 (2560x1080)

Pretty sure I didn't modify HudShift config between settings and I was using manual configuration instead of automatic (HUD would have moved to the edges otherwise).
Pages: 1 2