Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ace died, so he's building a new PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My old 5 year old prebuilt Acer aspire but the dust about a month ago so I've been keeping myself busy with building a new PC and getting new peripherals in the process. Likely end of this month is when I will be done?

Parts list

This is a budget, but I did kind of raise the bar in a couple areas, like an aftermarket heatsink for quiet operation (I hear the Intel heatsink runs like a jet engine a lot), a semi modular power supply for cable management, bla bla.and of course those monitors add a lot of price. This is my first PC build though, so any critique on what I have not gotten so far would be nice.
What is your max budget? Not a bad parts list at all, but depending on your budget, a couple things I'd suggest increasing.
Agreed with the above. What is your budget and intended use?
If you are inclined for gaming and are on a medium budget, you can find the 4th gen i5s for a very compelling price these days due to AMD shaking up the board a bit.
With the entire setup I'm pretty much at my Max budget of 1000 USD, I intend to use it for light gaming and productivity. The processor is very likely going to be upgraded later down the road but currently (after doing research, and plenty), the Pentium G4560 is a very good budget CPU for this case even paired with the graphics card.

I can maybe flex a few dollars for what I haven't already purchased, but I am basically at my current max budget
With a max budget of 1000 USD you are looking at a mid-high range build, of which a G4560 has no place in. What is your preferred outlet for parts?
Along with Spazzy's comment, I'd increase your RAM to at least 16bg. Look at what you absolutely need too. Do you NEED the speakers if you're getting headphones? Do you NEED an Optical drive, when most everything nowadays you can get digitally? Whatever you don't need, I'd put back into hardware, like RAM or a better Processor.
So this is something I threw together within the hour I had to spare. http://i.imgur.com/0Ou9Ill.png

Basing it off the still used 1151 LGA socket, get a Z170 motherboard to go with the processor, an unlocked Intel Core i5-6600K. Since this is only a 91w CPU to begin with, a 212 EVO or similar will cover it well enough. The socket also will allow you to go up to a Core i7-7700K if you want to upgrade in the future. You can upgrade to an all in one Corsair 100 series liquid cooler if you really want to, but mostly for esthetics rather than anything outright useful.

The i7-7700K synthetic benchmark score is a 12,179 in comparison to the 8,005 of the i5-6600K and the 4,186 of your suggested G4560.

The ram should be a 2400 DDR4 (at least 16gb, games like Andromeda and Witcher 3 already requiring more than 8gb on the highest preset) to max out the capabilities of your chipset/CPU combo. The i5 supports only a range of 2133, but if you plan to upgrade, the extra headroom will not hurt.
The choice of your graphics card is a 1070 GTX, this is where half of your budget will go. You can decrease this by dropping down to a 1060TI but with a 1000USD budget you might as well go for the 1070.

Depending on your mobo, you can opt for a M.2 solution for your boot drive, but you can also cheapen it by going with either a 500gb or 250gb SSD and a 1-2tb hybrid/regular mechanical WD Blue harddrive.

The power supply for this rig should not need to exceed 650W, either Gold or Platinum for bonus brownie points.
Tl;DR take your overall budget. From that, 50% needs to go into your GPU, a quarter into your CPU, the rest is on the rest.
As for CPUs, this chart is your friend.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

EDIT: Note that they are synthetic benchmarks and do not fully equate in how these CPUs handle in games. For gaming specifically you should prefer something with a good Single Core perfromance. Mind you that this might not be the case for long as more and more newer titles are optimized for multi-core setups.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Use this chart along with the above to find a good enough balance if you choose a different CPU.
I really like that build Spazzy. If he is getting a mouse and headphones though, then might be good to drop down to the 1060ti if your build was at the 1,000 limit.

But from the looks of it, he already purchased a fair bit. Ace, can you return your processor by any chance? If you can't, then at the very least increase your RAM.
Pages: 1 2