Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Star Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey! Just found out Stardock is working on a new Star Control game. Doesn't look like much yet, but it looks like it takes the gameplay from Star Control 2 into a modern version.

According to Stardock, the game will be released this year (although I can see it will be early access first before being the polished final version).

To those who don't know about the Star Control series: It was one of the most innovative Sci-Fi game series of the DOS era. Star Control 1 was a pretty cool ship vs ship game for DOS and the Sega Master System, which was successful enough to have the creators do the masterpiece of a game: Star Control II - The Ur-Quan Masters. Those who didn't get to enjoy the original back then can take a look at the free HD open source remake The Ur-Quan Masters which pretty much is the old game with prettier graphics and compatibility for newer systems. It's free, so give it a shot!

Star Control 2 offers a pretty big galaxy map with systems that contain multiple planets where you can send a landing shuttle to, to collect resources. As you start off as alien precursor vessel found by humans, you return to Earth with this vessel, only to find it being "slave-shielded" by the Ur-Quan, who are on a galactic rampage and either put other worlds under those slave-shields that prevent a culture from reaching space (after a bombardement that destroys any space-farer technology) or force them to join their fight against the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah, a brother species of the Ur-Quan, who are on a rampage too, however they destroy anything they find. Both factions have a pretty good reason to do so, as you will find out during the story, which is pretty dense and deep and definitely will surprise you.

Your goal is to find a way to de-shield Earth, upgrade your precursor vessel, build up a fleet of up to twelve ships, unify the old Alliance of Free Stars again by getting in touch with old friends and new enemies and find a solution to end the war with the Ur-Quan groups. While doing so, you will meet a good amount of pretty detailed and unique alien races, all with special traits, a certain humor and most important: Unique ships - you will either get a few of them or blueprints to build them yourself at Earth's starbase. You will also need to fight aliens on planets using the landing ship, aquire items and resources for other groups, find unique planets, traverse in real space, hyper space and quasi space and see how your actions alter the ZoI of the alien races, with some of them definitely going to extinct.

There is also Star Control 3, which was done by other people but continues right after the events of Star Control 2. The game wasn't as beloved as Star Control 2, but offered just another pretty unique gameplay, pretty innovative and came with a good amount of other cool stories, alien races, ships and humor. You still can buy those games from Stardock or aquire them from DOS game websites.

And then there is Star Control Project 6014, which is a fan-project planned as a sequel to Star Control 2 with a different approach than Star Control 3 had, as you aren't commanding a precursor vessel anymore but a special Chmrr Avatar, and you play in another part of the Star Control 2 galaxy, against enemies that should have appeared in Star Control 2 but never did. From what I know, this game isn't completely finished yet but has playable demo versions.

And now get back to writing snippish forum posts at each other, kthxbai
Quote:Doesn't look like much yet, but it looks like it takes the gameplay from Star Control 2 into a modern version.

[Image: Shofixti.gif]
"Great leaping mounds of happiness!"

In a more serious tone, yes, oh yes, I can't even describe how awesome it is to hear that Star Control is getting a new part! With current technology and stuff, I only look forward to that project because I have a lot of good memories both with original Star Control 2 and Ur-Quan Masters, having around hundreds of hours invested across all these years. Truly, the "great leaping mounds of happiness!" I only wonder where it would lead us, since Stardock is one of very few companies that keep their word and doesn't screw up things.

P.S. Star Control 3 wasn't bad and I liked the models of the alien species, but... gameplay was somewhat strange to some extent. But that's only my personal opinion.
..Stardock is taking a crack at Star Control? This should be interesting.
Oh yes , i loved good old star control, lot of time spent in that.