Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Crash to Desktop (CTD) when delayed joining server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have this obnoxious issue that I get a full CTD every single time I get the "Please wait. The request is taking longer than expected." message when joining the server. It's happened when there's been a dozen people and it's happened when there's five dozen people connected to the server. My ping is typically 165ms, and when I am able to connect without the message I can play fine; it's just that I typically do get that message and I find it absurd that the game handles the error so poorly. I am running Windows Vista (I KNW RHT?) with all of the required extensions and Freelancer has been unblocked to allow it through the firewall. I'm not certain what other information would be helpful in diagnosing the issue, but if I can get some help so that I can play the game without a dozen crashes beforehand I would certainly appreciate it.

EDIT:
I should clarify that by connect to the server I mean when I select my character to load into the game, not whenever I select the server from the list of servers. Additionally if I act fast enough and press the ESC key when I see the message then the game doesn't crash, it simply drops me back to the full list of servers. Whatever is happening that causes the CTD appears to happen after it tries to resolve itself from that message then.
Try disabling the IPv6 protocol from your connection settings and see if it helps.
Unless it requires a restart to apply, which is doubtful, the disabling of the IPv6 protocol on my Ethernet controller does not appear to have made a difference. I can send someone a copy of that dump file (FLSpew) if needed, though its contents appear to change based on how it crashed. If Windows tries to resolve the matter before closing it, for example, it seems to have more ERROR notices in it then if it simply dies. Not sure as to the reason behind that, though.